Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BLue Ox or Roadmaster Brake system???

I was given a price of $3233 to install a Blue Ox plate to my Jeep and the Blue Ox Alpha, wiring, and the Roadmaster Brake system, out the door price. I asked if or why he wouldnt be pricing me a Blue Ox brake system, he was unaware that they made one. I checked the website and saw that they do have their own system. I also believe it has it's own battery system and doesn't use the toads battery. I was wondering if anyone has used or heard anything good or bad about their NEW brake system? I figured also if I was to buy these parts, I could get a price of $2500 to have them install them. They will install the parts if I purchase them. Second question: What are we using to cover or protect our toads? rvupogrades has a Protector for $370 but it looks kinda weird. Any other ideas? Thanks
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use a Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - NSA RV Products It has the braking built into the tow bar. No extra equipment to lift or stow. I have a Protect-a-Tow and don't like it. I'm considering a full front Bra for my Smart Car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I use a Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - NSA RV Products It has the braking built into the tow bar. No extra equipment to lift or stow. I have a Protect-a-Tow and don't like it. I'm considering a full front Bra for my Smart Car.
I love my Ready Brake / Ready Brute too! CW quoted me nearly $4,000 to do a setup on my Jeep. I DIY'd it with Ready Brute. Got the Baseplates on Ebay for 1/2 off. Safety Cables on Ebay for 1/2 off and a roadmaster coil cord from CW. A day of labor and all done for under $1400. Today's new towing products are engineered to integrate very well and allow easy DIY.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also DIYed mine. I hired some muscles to help with the Baseplate. On a Smart Car the front wheels and the entire front facia has to come off. I also reccomend Demco base plates. It comes in one piece and very little shows out the front end. They sent text and picture instructions that are VERY easy to follow. The guy helping me doesn't read English and we breezed right thru it.

If I can do it anyone willing to get their hands dirty can do it! And, don't get stuck on staying with the same maker. The only thing you need to do is order the ends for the towbar that goes with your baseplate. Shop around and you can save big bucks! I bought everything new and spent about $1700.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have and like the Ready Brute/Ready Brake system. Check it out.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have the Patriot system, haven't had any issues with it in 2 towing seasons---it's all electrical & doesn't use an air pump like similar units so it draws much lower amperage when in use--it does use the toad's electrical system, the internal battery is a backup to use in case of an emergency...shop around online, we paid around $820 for ours back in 2010...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I DIY'ed the Readybrute/Readybrake system too. $1600 for towbar, base plate, braking system, breakaway, wiring harness, battery disconnect, the whole nine yards
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Lilgreek--we are also fans of the ReadyBrute Elite towing setup; it's a great value for a quality towing setup with integrated brake. As for Toad protection, we installed the "Rock Solid" guard from Camping World. https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...y-coaches/1223
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Ox for tow bars and base plates....OK.

Not for a braking system. Have had the older Blue Ox Apollo for 5+ yrs now and wish I'd done an other vendor for that. Nothing but inconsistant operation from it. Don't have experience with the newer patriot, but I'd steer clear of it.

j
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
That's an enormous amount of money. I suppose if you can't DIY and have to write a check.... Still, no way I would do a brake in a box. Get an smi or something similar.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Check out the Unified Brake System from US Gear. Easy to hook up and works great
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #12

I had the Patriot for two years and then my brakes slammed on one day destroying all four tires...............
Ranmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake