Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue OX Patriot

I ask this a while back and didn't get much response. So here goes again. The Patriot is fairly new so that may be the problem. Has anyone used or do you have any information on the Blue OX Patriot braking system?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I too am looking at a brake system. I think I will go with the Patriot also. It seems the easiest to install and use on a day to day bases. Peace...D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi , I have the Patriot brake system for my 2006 Jeep Wrangler. I tow with HR Imperial 45 footer. It works great, easy to install, both initially and every time we travel. Be careful where you put the in coach controller. Mine would lose contact with unit in Jeep. A couple calls to Blue Ox , very nice people by the way, we determined that mirrors in the coach and on the back closet doors may be breaking the signal. I have a tendency to agree with them, but have not been able to test new locations. Also you may want to run a 12volt feed line from coach to toad battery , just to prevent battery drain. I also was able to remove steering wheel lock on the Jeep so I could remove the key from ignition while towing! Good Luck
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

I also have a Blue Ox Patriot braking system that I use when towing a 2005 Jeep Wrangler and I am completely satisfied with the way it has performed (flawlessly). It is easy to set up and I like the proportional braking. I did have to use a piece of plywood to place between the device and the seat so that setup would complete successfully. Other than that it has worked perfectly. It also costs considerably less than the other systems. I have used it for a total of about 1500-2000 miles, maybe more, and the battery in the jeep has always been normal even after towing all day.

All things being equal I would buy the same system again.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
satisfied with ours so far, no problems or issues with it...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the input everyone, keepem' coming. Sparkydog I have 3 closet doors at the rear with mirrors, I think you need to see and reach the controller so how far can you relocate it?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going to try center of the coach, a more direct path to the Jeep. I originally had it on the left of the instrument panel, then realized there was a mirror on the inside slide wall as well as the closet mirrors. two mirrors to go through. Bear in mind this was an intermittent problem. I walked about 50 yds away with the controller and everything worked fine in the clear. Something in the coach was creating interference. Anxious to get bugs out.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spark let me know how it goes.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will do. Your avatar looks like our situation, long winter, we were supposed to go camping this weekend, chance of
snow flurries and rain north central Illinois. Maybe next month.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Patriot is sold by Blue Ox but made by D Brake in Conn. I just checked today and D Brake sells the same unit as the Patriot but with their name on it and it is $200 Cheaper with free shipping and 2 yrs. warranty not just 1 yr (from Blue Ox)
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr John View Post
Patriot is sold by Blue Ox but made by D Brake in Conn. I just checked today and D Brake sells the same unit as the Patriot but with their name on it and it is $200 Cheaper with free shipping and 2 yrs. warranty not just 1 yr (from Blue Ox)
I paid $300 less for my Patriot than what the direct price from D Brake on their website shows---just shop around and you can find deals online..
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello All, I have a Patriot and have had a couple of issues with it. As said in a post I had to make a board to attach to the Patriot's push pads to give it more area when pushing on car seat. I've had a bit of a problem setting it up with arm adjustment. The biggest problem is when I travel over a very bad transition on a bridge or a hump in the road the Patriot will apply the brake in the toad from the movement. It will put quite a drag on the MH until it releases which is very slow. I have spoken with Blue OX about this issue and they directed me to turn the brake gain down to zero when I think this situation will happen, not a very good resolve. I don't think while driving adding another issue to distract your attention from the road is a good thing.

PS. AdventureRV.net sells the Patriot for $995 and has specials for $849 from time to time
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Patriot brake setting???

I just had the patriot installed in my MH and was told to start the braking number at #2 setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Tipaulfla
34ft.Sunova
Jeep Liberty toad
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello, are you referring to the gain setting?? The instructions for the gain are set with the size and weight of the toad. Mine happens to be a 4000# toad and the instructions state a setting of 5 to 7 for a toad this size.