Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Blue Ox Patriot and Chevy Colorado

I have been in the process of preparing a 2012 Chevy Colorado for towing behind a new Thor Tuscany. I am now at the point for needing to purchase a brake system and am leaning toward the Blue Ox Patriot due to the easy hookup and positive reviews.

Is there anyone using the Patriot with one of the previous generation Colorado's? If so, I would appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

In a related question, I was also wondering if there are any folks using the Patriot without the breakaway switch. I towed a 5th wheel for a number of years and understand the need for the breakaway switch as there are no safety cables. With safety cables, I see little use for the breakaway switch and can see a few scenarios where a failed switch could create a problem worst than the one it is trying to prevent.
hikersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikersc View Post
I have been in the process of preparing a 2012 Chevy Colorado for towing behind a new Thor Tuscany. I am now at the point for needing to purchase a brake system and am leaning toward the Blue Ox Patriot due to the easy hookup and positive reviews.

Is there anyone using the Patriot with one of the previous generation Colorado's? If so, I would appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

In a related question, I was also wondering if there are any folks using the Patriot without the breakaway switch. I towed a 5th wheel for a number of years and understand the need for the breakaway switch as there are no safety cables. With safety cables, I see little use for the breakaway switch and can see a few scenarios where a failed switch could create a problem worst than the one it is trying to prevent.
I have not used the Patriot on a Chevy but have used it on a Ford Taurus and currently on my CRV. The Patriot is a very versatile device and I see no reason it would not work as advertised on your Colorado.

As for the breakaway switch, Why would you not want to use it? It comes with the Patriot as part of the package for very good reason. I'm not going to expand any further as I'm sure there will be others chiming in soon.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
As for the breakaway switch, Why would you not want to use it? It comes with the Patriot as part of the package for very good reason. I'm not going to expand any further as I'm sure there will be others chiming in soon.
I guess my thinking was that the probably of a failure (i.e. crimped wire, short, tangled actuation cable) of the breakaway switch was far greater than the possibility of a simultaneous failure of the tow bar and safety cable connections. It basically felt like another lever of safety that could create a larger problem that it is solving by introducing an addition failure mechanism to solve a problem that is very unlikely.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Properly installed breakaway systems are a must for any vehicle being towed. IMO. Here is a link to an incident that is testament to that.
Also, take a look at the Toads & MH Towing forum for more information on your Colorado set up.

Runaway Car!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

https://www.etrailer.com/question-25134.html

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Here is some more information on the subject.

State and Province Towing Laws - NSA RV Products
Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Properly installed breakaway systems are a must for any vehicle being towed. IMO. Here is a link to an incident that is testament to that.
Also, take a look at the Toads & MH Towing forum for more information on your Colorado set up.

Runaway Car!
I loved the photos but there is a huge problem to this being a testament to the use of a breakaway switch. If the switch had been mounted in the area suggested by most manufacturers it would have separated when the entire front came off the vehicle thus severing the wire to the breaking system, leaving an open circuit and it never would have activated the brakes. This is confirmed in the attached article as it mentions the fact that the vehicle was properly connected and had a functioning tow cable which I presume to be the breakaway switch.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Just thought I would chime in. A properly installed breakaway switch should be mounted to the Toad body, not bumper, or any part of the towbar. The cable end should also be attached to the Motorhome body, not hitch pin etc. This will insure the toad brakes being applied when any seperation of the two vehicles happens, insuring no toad runaways. This also applies to breakaway switches in TT, but most attach the cable to the tow vehicle hitch rather than the body, which is also a nono.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikersc View Post

Since your towing with a vehicle that has air brakes I'd go with the Air Force One from SMI. Have it on my 2010 Colorado and love it. Once installed you can forget about it and it comes with a brake away switch and it's proporsanal braking. Purchased mine for under $800.00 and it took me a day to install. But you have more than likely already purchased the Blue Ox system.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, chevy, colorado