Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System

Okay, I'm ready to purchase a brake system for the Toad. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Patriot system by Blue Ox? I'm torn between that one and the Air Force One system, but the install seems much easier on the Blue Ox.

Thanks for your help. JIMJAK

JIMJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

I'm using it and have no complaints. I've also heard good things about the other model too.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll let you know next week! Have a Patriot sitting in the living room and will have the baseplate & electrical stuff installed on the Jeep next week...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Just finished a 3200 mile trip towing my 2010 Wrangler with the Patriot system...The Patriot worked fine, no real issues....(Bought it by the way from an RV place in Oregon for about $825.00......Cheapest I had found )....

I did have trouble on occasion gettting the Patriot box itself to set up and "pass" its initialization phase (self-check)....I believe it was operator error being I am new to this brand.....After setting it up a dozen times I got better and it got easier....

A couple of times, early on in the trip, I got error messages in the MH and pulled over to set the unit back up from scratch and all worked well......

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wink Blue Ox Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
Just finished a 3200 mile trip towing my 2010 Wrangler with the Patriot system...The Patriot worked fine, no real issues....(Bought it by the way from an RV place in Oregon for about $825.00......Cheapest I had found )....

I did have trouble on occasion gettting the Patriot box itself to set up and "pass" its initialization phase (self-check)....I believe it was operator error being I am new to this brand.....After setting it up a dozen times I got better and it got easier....

A couple of times, early on in the trip, I got error messages in the MH and pulled over to set the unit back up from scratch and all worked well......

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'll go with this unit too. BTW, I've found it on the Internet for around $870.00 shipping included.
JIMJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the Patriot in a CR-V. Drove about 100 miles with no problem today but after I got in stop and go coming into Atlanta I got a #4, error light and beeping. When I found a safe wide shoulder getting onto 285 I stopped and could find nothing wrong. I went though the setup procedure again and it appeared OK. Drove about 20 miles and got on 400 going north in traffic and stop lights. After a few miles same thing happened with error and no braking action. No good place to stop here so went to destination.

Any suggestions?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I have the Patriot in a CR-V. Drove about 100 miles with no problem today but after I got in stop and go coming into Atlanta I got a #4, error light and beeping. When I found a safe wide shoulder getting onto 285 I stopped and could find nothing wrong. I went though the setup procedure again and it appeared OK. Drove about 20 miles and got on 400 going north in traffic and stop lights. After a few miles same thing happened with error and no braking action. No good place to stop here so went to destination.

Any suggestions?
I found loose battery connection on my trickle charge hook up from my MH. See attached picture for code info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2950677634.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	531.8 KB
ID:	42229  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinr View Post

I found loose battery connection on my trickle charge hook up from my MH. See attached picture for code info
Great, thanks for the quick response. Did not realize the 4 was an error code. Hard to believe low voltage after only 4 hours. If it happens again will put voltmeter on it. Car started with no problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

I use one. Works fine. I've never had a problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #10

I have used the Patriot for a couple of years.
1st,
a proper sized charge line off the MH is Imperative. Code 4 (low batt) will drive you crazy.

2nd,
set up every once in a while will be a brain teaser. I use a piece of 3/8" plywood between the seat and the Patriot as a stiffener. (BlueOx sells a nice plastic one if you care to spend some money for looks)
This seems to help but every once in a while for some reason it does not want to clear.
I remove & replace the claw off the brake pedal, reposition the box and start over again. Most often that fixes it and away we go.
When you do get it set up, it works very well.
Not sure how this compares with others on the market since this is the only one I have used. Bought it because of the BlueOx reputation.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I have used the Patriot for a couple of years.
1st,
a proper sized charge line off the MH is Imperative. Code 4 (low batt) will drive you crazy.

2nd,
set up every once in a while will be a brain teaser. I use a piece of 3/8" plywood between the seat and the Patriot as a stiffener. (BlueOx sells a nice plastic one if you care to spend some money for looks)
This seems to help but every once in a while for some reason it does not want to clear.
I remove & replace the claw off the brake pedal, reposition the box and start over again. Most often that fixes it and away we go.
When you do get it set up, it works very well.
Not sure how this compares with others on the market since this is the only one I have used. Bought it because of the BlueOx reputation.
Thanks great info.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:

Great, thanks for the quick response. Did not realize the 4 was an error code. Hard to believe low voltage after only 4 hours. If it happens again will put voltmeter on it. Car started with no problem.
Maybe it was just the plug for the Patriot make poor connection on the rough road
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I heard there was an article in Motorhome about how to get around pulling the fuse but have not found it yet.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
I heard there was an article in Motorhome about how to get around pulling the fuse but have not found it yet.
I installed a switch inline of the fuse, so I no longer have to pull it.