Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue Ox Patriot Braking Systems

I have encountered a problem with the brakes on my Ford Escape that I hope someone can help me with.

The rotors are scarred, and the brake pads are worn excessively. The ball joint seals are melted and the grease inside the ball joints is gone.

The Ford dealership is blaming the braking system, and I am having a very difficult time believing that is the root cause.

Any help is appreciated.

Klell Lawrence

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Hook everything up and go down the road a couple of miles. If your brake is doing it, Your wheels/hubs should get hot very quickly. If they are hot after towing a short distance, disconnect the braking system and after everything cools down, tow for a couple of miles to see if the wheels still get heated up. By this process, you will either eliminate the braking system as the problem or prove the dealer is right! Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Ford dealer in another town has solved the problem. The dealership where I purchased my Escape, the second one we bought from them, did not want to warranty their product. Ford, and the dealership will hear from me later.

The calipers had stuck, and they confirmed this when they stuck in the actuated position for them. Everything is covered under warranty. A simple check, and the fault was found not to be the braking system.

Considering all the trouble Ford has had with these Escape models, I will be trading mine in on a Honda CR-V

I wanted to let you guys know what had happened.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was thinking about buying an Escape for a toad......is yours manual or did you put that remco pump in it?

Would I have to have a braking system?

What determines the requirements of a braking system?
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2
I was thinking about buying an Escape for a toad......is yours manual or did you put that remco pump in it?

When towing you should always have a supplemental brake system. This is law in many states. There are several brake system options available, but I use the Ready Brake.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

The Ford Escape came with advertised ability to tow all four wheels down. Ford is trying to get out of this by claiming otherwise now, but the cat is out of the bag.

I have to admit to liking my Ford Escape, but after all the troubles I have found with them since we purchased ours, coupled with my problems with the dealership where it was purchased, I won't be keeping this one much longer, nor will I ever purchase another Ford product.

I made sure we followed ALL of the manufacturers guidelines in towing this vehicle, and was extra careful with the warm up procedure. I know with utmost confidence that what went wrong was not our doing.

Brake systems are a requirement for all vehicles in 38 States, and have maximum weight restrictions before they are required in 12 others. The Patriot braking system we purchased from Blue Ox is more of an emergency break away system, only assisting in stopping the coach in extreme hard breaking instances, of which I only have two.

There is an audible signal when the Patriot assists in braking along with an LED indicator. You know when it has activated. That is why I questioned the first Ford dealers prognosis of improper activation of my braking system.

One more note. The caliper on the drivers side of the Escape, is on Nation-Wide back order. That tells me that there was either a manufacturers problem, or there are a helluva lot more people having the same problems with their brakes on Ford Escapes. You be the judge.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Klell
Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #7

I use the Patriot on my Taurus.
I had some set up issues when I first started using it but a few calls to Blue Ox and I got these resolved and the system works fine.
I can tell you that it does work in porportion with the MH brakes. I had my son ride in the car and watch the Patriot as I drove the MH. He said when I touched the MH brakes or took my foot off the throttle, the Patriot would actuate the brake pedal on the car in porportion to the motion caused by the MH.

As far as requirements, in Canada, most jurisdictions require a suplemental braking system for toads over 4000 Lbs.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I use the Patriot on my Taurus.
I had some set up issues when I first started using it but a few calls to Blue Ox and I got these resolved and the system works fine.
I can tell you that it does work in porportion with the MH brakes. I had my son ride in the car and watch the Patriot as I drove the MH. He said when I touched the MH brakes or took my foot off the throttle, the Patriot would actuate the brake pedal on the car in porportion to the motion caused by the MH.

As far as requirements, in Canada, most jurisdictions require a suplemental braking system for toads over 4000 Lbs.
FYI, this may help answer some questions on the subject.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Towing Regulations.pdf (119.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Lincolnboy,

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Ford Escape and really like the car. We bought the Limited V6 with all the bells and whistles.

This car is towed on my Roadmaster Tow Dolly with no problems. I drive it upon the dolly, put on the straps and safety chain. After the car is loaded I put it in Park and lock the doors and away we go.The dolly has the braking system so I don't need any other braking device.

When I ordered the Escape I ordered it with 16" tires so had to purchase straps that would fit the tires. If yours has the 17" tires then you will need straps that fit that wheel. THe chains I hook to the frame inside the front wheel well.

Lastly when going to a campground I try to get a pull through site which makes things easier. If not then I have a third wheel on the dolly so that I can disconnect the dolly after the car is unloaded and push it wherever I have too.

Good luck and enjoy your Escape!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Many posts on this site and others have said they have had to have the transmissions replaced in their Ford Escapes even though the owners manual says they are 4 wheels down towable! I don't think Ford is even recommending that now even with a supplemental transmission lube system. I believe the new Escape owners manuals say they are not 4 wheels down towable. I went with the Chevrolet Equinox because of this problem. I have so far had no problems and it tows great.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
Many posts on this site and others have said they have had to have the transmissions replaced in their Ford Escapes even though the owners manual says they are 4 wheels down towable! I don't think Ford is even recommending that now even with a supplemental transmission lube system. I believe the new Escape owners manuals say they are not 4 wheels down towable. I went with the Chevrolet Equinox because of this problem. I have so far had no problems and it tows great.
Cept it's a Chev, sorry about your luck