Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Blue Ox Patriot problem

My 1 year old BO Patriot system when accelerating or cruising has started to get an intermittent "tow bk active" light and it is in fact applying the brakes. I sent it to the factory for repair and on a short trip a couple of weeks ago I didn't even get 1 block and I noticed the drag and sure enough the lights on. When they returned the unit to me they included a new break away actuator and included a new cable. Today I installed the new actuator. Any other ideas out there that may be causing this?

I also have the dreaded dead battery problem with the Honda CRV but that's another issue. I'm just going to upgrade the battery to take care of that.

bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Try towing without the break away switch. If it does not actuate the brakes, you will know Blue Ox did not get the problem fixed. Also, should have the brake setting on 5, that tends to be the norm. As far as the battery problem. I just put a marine deep cycle battery in one of those pastic black boxes from Walmart. I sit this battery on the passinger side floor board. Works great! I carry a charger with me to recharge the battery when I stop. Just put the battery in the back when using the car, or store in luggage compartments of motorhome. Good Luck.

hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When you say without the breakaway switch do you mean don't plug it in? I could do that. I think the odds of actually having a breakaway are really high. Hopefully I may have already fixed it by replacing the breakaway switch.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
yes, hope the breakaway switch is the problem. Sounds like it to me.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
On my mh I have a power wire that goes thru the 7 pin connector to the battery on the toad. There is a diode and a fuse in line, it keeps the battery charged. Works great Really simple. Never a dead batt or lugging around an extra batt. You can buy them on line. I forget the exact name but look under accessories on towing webbsites.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

I use a cheap Peak 600amp jump start battery pack to power my Patorit and never worry about the toad battery. Rarely uses more than 25% of its charge in a day. Just plug into 115vac at night and its ready to go the next day. I bought mine on eBay for less than $40 including freight/tax.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Make sure the breakaway is plugged in before you turn the unit on.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye1995 View Post
yes, hope the breakaway switch is the problem. Sounds like it to me.
I changed the breakaway switch but have not tested it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsides View Post
On my mh I have a power wire that goes thru the 7 pin connector to the battery on the toad. There is a diode and a fuse in line, it keeps the battery charged. Works great Really simple. Never a dead batt or lugging around an extra batt. You can buy them on line. I forget the exact name but look under accessories on towing webbsites.
I have the same setup but Honda CRVs are known for having weak stock batteries. I have read that the fix is to upgrade to a Honda Oddesey battery
Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I use a cheap Peak 600amp jump start battery pack to power my Patorit and never worry about the toad battery. Rarely uses more than 25% of its charge in a day. Just plug into 115vac at night and its ready to go the next day. I bought mine on eBay for less than $40 including freight/tax.
That's a great idea!! I just might try that. Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Make sure the breakaway is plugged in before you turn the unit on.
Will do. Thanks
Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf46 View Post
That's a great idea!! I just might try that. Thanks!!
My suggestion, Change the Battery. All others are Band Aids. The root problem is an undersized battery.

Also, have you talked to BlueOx about your braking issue? I have had mine for 5+ years and never had it brake by itself.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My suggestion, Change the Battery. All others are Band Aids. The root problem is an undersized battery.

Also, have you talked to BlueOx about your braking issue? I have had mine for 5+ years and never had it brake by itself.
Yes I have spoken to BO more than a few times and they finally had me ship it to them to address the brake active issue. You may be right about changing the battery to a larger one. What battery did you go to? Its a perfectly good battery just not enough to power the patriot for hours. According to them they replaced the unit battery and a push rod. Looks to me to be a brand new one they sent me because it came in an as new original box and packing you would get and included the accessories you get when new. We head out for the summer in a couple of weeks so we'll see what happens. This thing worked fine new about a year ago then a couple of months later it started killing my toad battery and then the brake active problem started.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf46 View Post
Yes I have spoken to BO more than a few times and they finally had me ship it to them to address the brake active issue. You may be right about changing the battery to a larger one. What battery did you go to? Its a perfectly good battery just not enough to power the patriot for hours. According to them they replaced the unit battery and a push rod. Looks to me to be a brand new one they sent me because it came in an as new original box and packing you would get and included the accessories you get when new. We head out for the summer in a couple of weeks so we'll see what happens. This thing worked fine new about a year ago then a couple of months later it started killing my toad battery and then the brake active problem started.
I had a similar issue with my Patriot while enroute to Alaska. After a few calls to BlueOx, they determined the internal battery was shot and needed to be returned to them for repair. Since we were on the road, they finally made me a deal on a new one shipped, prepaid to our next stop. Then, I retuned the old one for a credit.
The new unit is a completely different animal in terms of performance and operation.
As for the battery, go to your Honda dealer and purchase the two part battery tray for the Honda Oddesy. See attached for the P/N's.
Then, purchase a group 24 battery with the highest CCA you can find. Mine is 850, compared to the OEM group 51 at about 400.
The combo of the new Patriot and new battery has added years on to my life.
Last trip, I left the ign in the on (in error of course) position which powers the daytime running lights etc etc. After five hours of towing, the car started up, no problem. Try that with the OEM battery..

Sorry about the upside down pic, me and Mr Apple have different views of right side up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	126749  

Tags
blue ox