Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

Question Blue Ox Patriot versus Brake Buddy Vantage

Does anyone have any advice as to which is better

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwm_newf View Post
I have the Patriot and it works as advertised. A true proportional system. Install and set up is simple (works really good on the CRV with the plastic rim on the front of the drivers seat). The newer version has a new designed brake pedal claw that is much easier to install and remove than the older version. There are some other internal upgrades also.
If you run across an older one for cheap, you can send it in to BO and they will up grade the whole unit to a newer version for a reasonable price. Can't remember exactly but it was very reasonable.

Can't comment on the other unit but I'm sure it's OK also. They all have pros and cons. The pro with these type of devices is that there is no mods to be done to the toad and can be taken from one vehicle to another if that's important to you.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been considering the Patriot system for a while and had a question that isn't really answered in the literature.

Is it connected to the MH brake lights or braking system, or does it just use a built in surge sensor to apply brakes in the toad?

Thanks for any assistance.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Might want to have a look at the RVI 2 system before you decide.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #5

Lt Dan:

I have the Patriot along with the Blue Ox tow bar, base plate, and wiring for the toad. It's my understanding (and I'm no expert) that Patriot applies the brakes based on what you call the surge sensor and by virtue of this application, the brake lights come on. In my application, I had the installer run a charging wire from the 7 pin wiring from the coach to the toad to keep the battery juiced up. If I have misspoke, I apologize, I'm not an electrical type person. That's just my understanding of the process.

I have had 0 problems with my Patriot to date.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We had the older version of Brake Buddy and just upgraded to the Vantage this Summer. Have not had any problems with either unit, which worked very well on our Jeep GC and now on the Malibu. I think all the similar type systems probably work on the same principle. I believe Brake Buddy was one of the original sources for this type product.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I love my Invisibrake. Works great, no fuss.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have been considering the Patriot system for a while and had a question that isn't really answered in the literature.

Is it connected to the MH brake lights or braking system, or does it just use a built in surge sensor to apply brakes in the toad?

Thanks for any assistance.
The only physical connection to the toad is the clamp to the brake pedal and 12V power supply from the cigar lighter. The device uses an Accelerometer which senses motion and applies the toad brake according to the amount of motion it senses. There is also a wireless control/indicator on the dash in the Motorhome that provides an indication of the brake application. It also allows the driver to control the Gain or simply, at what point of braking to the Motorhome does the Patriot begging to apply the toad brakes.

I can't say I'm in Love with my Patriot as some others are with their choice but I can say it works great as a stand alone device.
I'll save the love for Happy Hour.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
I pull a 2014 CRV , 4 down, with a Patriot brake. It sits on the floor beneath the steering wheel , actuates the brake pedal based on the proportional inertia system. When the brake pedal gets depressed, just as with your foot, the brake lights on the back of the car come on. I had the installer put in a dash electronics bypass switch which I actuate when towing. So far I have been able to tow the car all day without having a battery problem. None of the Honda's wires were cut into during installation of the Blue Ox wiring harness. It is a separate system with LED bulbs in the tail-light assembly. One of my favorite parts of the package is the radio frequency linked indicator that is installed on the RV's dash. It has status lights to let you know that the Patriot is connected, that the brake-away is connected, and if the toad brake gets actuated. Kind of gives me peace of mind.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

I mated my MH & Dinghy about 30 times since I got my Patriot braking system for my Hyundai Elantra about a year and a half ago and find it very easy and convenient to set up and tear down. It is about a 60 second job for me and the peddle clamp is about 10 seconds of that. I added diodes to the dinghy lighting harness so that its lights are driven by the MH light circuits but as others have said, having my dinghy ignition in Accessory mode and the Patriot pushing the brake peddle, the dinghy brake lights will come on anyway. I also have a battery charge line running through the MH/dinghy 7-pin umbilical cord to keep things fully charged.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I had the installer put in a dash electronics bypass switch which I actuate when towing. So far I have been able to tow the car all day without having a battery problem. :
Bob.25 Can you say more about the "electronics bypass" ?? Do you mean it cuts off the fuse as recommended in the CR-V manual.. (which also kills power to the cigar lighter outlets) or do you mean a charge line from the coach so the fuse doesn't have to be pulled?
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwm_newf View Post

Also take a look at Delta Force and RVI Brake2 before you make your decision.

RVI brake 2. VS Delta Force ?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not go with either one:

Reasons:
You need to INSTALL every time you tow
Every INSTALL is a chance to screw up (There are threads about just that)
Every time you do a short tow there is the temptation to say "OH forget it for this short trip"

And of course you have to store it securly when not towing or it can grow legs and walk off

An "INstalled" system is installed one time..Thus there is but one chance for the installer to screw it up (Which by the way mine did). and no temptation to say "Forget it" nor is it easy to swipe...Less you take the whole GPS tracker equipped car...And nothing to 'Stow' when driving the towed. Way better.

Which installed system do I like....Dang near all of them.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliedo02 View Post
Bob.25 Can you say more about the "electronics bypass" ?? Do you mean it cuts off the fuse as recommended in the CR-V manual.. (which also kills power to the cigar lighter outlets) or do you mean a charge line from the coach so the fuse doesn't have to be pulled?
Yes, it cuts off the fuse as recommended by Honda, and it was a surprise that it cuts off the power to the cigar lighter outlets. We wired an additional cigar lighter outlet that is not cut off by the switch to power the Patriot.
Bob

Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, brake