Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Question Blue ox questions

I am towing an 09 wrangler and have two questions about the Aventa tow bar.
1. I will have both latches secured when I start to tow, and when I stop , sometimes one will be unlatched. I can make a turn and it will latch. Is this normal?

2 When I prepare to unhook there is so much pressure on the tow bar that I can't release the latches or pins on the base plate. Is this normal?

desertdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
1. No, that's not normal. If it's latched when you start, it should stay latched.

2. Can be, especially if you were in the middle of a turn when stopped. I've never had a problem when I was level and straight when stopped. It's almost always jammed when the toad isn't straight, like after a turn into a pull-through. If I'm sure I'm going to be unhooking anyway, then I'll usually do so while DW is registering in the camp office. Usually the registration parking spots are fairly level and straight. But not always.

I would get Blue Ox to inspect your towbar if #1 is happening.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The trick to getting the latch to release in a bind is to turn the steering wheels of the toad and this shifts the tow bar enough to relieve the tension.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Our tow bar binds all the time if we're not level and straight. Also, stopping gently when you're ready to unhook helps reduce pressure on the pins.

Turning the toad steering wheel as RV Wizard says usually frees a binding condition. Also, keeping the pins (and holes in the tow bar ends) clean and occasionally applying a dry lube helps make the pins easier to remove if there is a slight bind.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No and possibly. Definitely fix the latch. You wouldn't want to stop and find both latches had come unhooked. If it is a non binding all terrain tow bar it shouldn't bind. Keep it cleaned and well lubed and you shouldn't have that problem either.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree 1 is not normal Contact Blue Ox their customer service is very good in my experience.

As for 2.. Yes, that does happen.. sometimes I have had to start the towed and engage the axle and put it in either Driver or Reverse (At full idle) to get the latches to release. I DO NO RECOMMEND THIS. Note if you do this put it back in PARK before you pull the tow pins.

Also turning the wheels from side to side (Steering) can sometimes free 'em up
I do recommend this method.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Thanks everyone. I am calling Blue OX today. The first time I called they said this is normal. I didn't think so. Thanks for your experienced views. Have a happy 4TH.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Review paragraph 6 of the Blue Ox operator manual under towbar maintenance. It explains that the latches will feel loose when not under compression. Under compression one or both will feel tight. We just returned from an extended trip and found that at times one of the handles would feel loose, but when hooking up heard and saw both arms click or lock. Yet, one handle would still be loose. Monitoring the backup camera I could verify both arms would be locked by making turns and manuvers and watching for retraction of one of the arms.
Charles and Edith
2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH w/2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2013 Honda Metropolitan NCH50
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think what you are experiencing is talked about in the manual from Blue Ox it says

In normal straight line towing conditions, both legs
will be in tension. Due to the design of the latch,
both handles will feel loose. During turning, braking
or parking one or both of the legs may be in
compression. This will make the handles feel stiff or
tight. Due to parking on slopes or the angle between
the coach and the car, the two locking mechanisms
could be in compression or tension or any
combination of the two. Having one lock in tension
and one in compression may give the operator the
feeling that one leg is locked and one is not, when in
fact whenever the legs are fully extended and the
springs are holding the latch handles up, the legs are
locked and ready to tow whether in tension or

Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Rmblaster and fatguy57
Thank you very much for your imputs. I called BLUE OX on friday and the customer service rep explained it like you guys said. I recieved some very good information from you and the other members on here. I really appreciate the info.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As for #2 keep the pins greased and at times I've used a pin punch to drive one out.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Thanks vegasdan
I'll use your ideas. Enjoy your fulltiming.