Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #1

To any Blue Ox tow bar owners:

Just recieved my Aventa LX today. I was getting all the info together to fill out the Warranty card when I noticed something peculiar.

Blue Ox makes the following statement on the Warranty card:
"Coverage and performance under the foregoing warranty is conditioned upon the original retail purchaser completing and returning the customer registration card to Automatic or registering via our website www.blueox.com within ten days of delivery date and upon the original serial number being visible on the product and unaltered." (Automatic is the parent company, I guess)

What's odd is, the only place on the tow bar I can find the serial number is on an adhesive backed 1" x 3" paper mailing label (the kind you'd stick on an envelope) with the serial number (and a few other things) seemingly printed with a dot matrix or a low quality ink jet printer. I don't think there'd be much left of it after a day or two in the rain.

So, the warranty is only valid if the original serial number is visible on the product and unaltered, and it looks like the serial number has a low likelihood of surviving. Am I missing something?

If anyone out there has a Blue Ox tow bar with the same labeling method, how is it holding up? Is the serial number marked elsewhere on the bar?

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #2

To any Blue Ox tow bar owners:

Just recieved my Aventa LX today. I was getting all the info together to fill out the Warranty card when I noticed something peculiar.

Blue Ox makes the following statement on the Warranty card:
"Coverage and performance under the foregoing warranty is conditioned upon the original retail purchaser completing and returning the customer registration card to Automatic or registering via our website www.blueox.com within ten days of delivery date and upon the original serial number being visible on the product and unaltered." (Automatic is the parent company, I guess)

What's odd is, the only place on the tow bar I can find the serial number is on an adhesive backed 1" x 3" paper mailing label (the kind you'd stick on an envelope) with the serial number (and a few other things) seemingly printed with a dot matrix or a low quality ink jet printer. I don't think there'd be much left of it after a day or two in the rain.

So, the warranty is only valid if the original serial number is visible on the product and unaltered, and it looks like the serial number has a low likelihood of surviving. Am I missing something?

If anyone out there has a Blue Ox tow bar with the same labeling method, how is it holding up? Is the serial number marked elsewhere on the bar?

Thanks
Steve
Old 10-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, the warranty is only valid if the original serial number is visible on the product and unaltered, and it looks like the serial number has a low likelihood of surviving. Am I missing something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There may be a permanent serial # on my towbar, but I can't find it.

I don't think it's a problem.

They will service towbars for free at larger rallies.

Looking at my paperwork from the last service, there is no serial number written down.

Blue Ox stands behind their products.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #4

I have used a Blue Ox tow bar since 1999 and have towed 97,000 miles with it. It once had a serial number sticker on it, but when Blue Ox service it in 2005 they replaced the part where the SN was stuck.

Blue Ox has serviced my tow bar free five times at big rallies and I think every part in it is new. They have never asked about the SN. You can call or email Blue Ox and ask about the serial number. They have always replied to my emails within one day.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #5

Dirk and Norm,

Thought you might like an update.

I followed Norm's suggestion and emailed Blue Ox.

The response came in hours. Here it is (in it's entirety).

The model and serial number of the tow bar and base plate are engraved in
the steel and then we powder coat over it. It is hard to see unless you
are specifically looking for it. The engraving is close to where the tag
currently is.

Great stuff!

I hope you find your serials too... Blue Ox Rocks!

Yep, I'm now a bit biased. Let's see how it goes while I'm installing the base plate, tail lights, etc.

Steve

Steve
Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #6

Blue Ox gives great support and service. Any time you're at a large rally stop at the Blue Ox booth and sign up for service. A technician will come to your motorhome and clean and adjust the tow bar and replace any worn parts.

Good luck with your baseplate and wiring for the lights. Then get out and tow that Jeep around the country.