Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
I have been using a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar for several years and just recently got a letter from Blue Ox stating that I should install a safety cable between the base plate and the car.

If they feel this is a safety issue, then I feel that Blue Ox should provide the necessary parts to us.

In all fairness I should say that the service from Blue Ox has been great, but this issue concerns me.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #2

I have been using a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar for several years and just recently got a letter from Blue Ox stating that I should install a safety cable between the base plate and the car.

If they feel this is a safety issue, then I feel that Blue Ox should provide the necessary parts to us.

In all fairness I should say that the service from Blue Ox has been great, but this issue concerns me.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #3

I see that your probably strapped for the $12.00 for the cable, but with the investment you have in your bus and toad, it might be money well spent.

albuquerque, nm
eghershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I just bought a Blue Ox baseplate and the instructions show cables looped around the baseplate and looped around the frame of the toad.

The implication is, if the baseplate separates from the toad, the cables will provide a safety connection.

I've never heard of a baseplate coming off. Has anyone?

Sounds like CYA by Blue OX, but I wonder if it's the result of a law suit that we haven't heard about.

Something sure prompted this.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My Roadmaster baseplates came with a pair of short safety cables to connect the face bar to the mounts. In case a pin broke, I guess.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #6

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #7

hershey, you missed the point. If I spent 12.00 everytime somebody else goofed, I would not have what I do.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #8

Well, I just had a BO baseplate installed by "Handy Hitch", and no info like that was included, but here again maybe I am not in their data base yet! 2006 Saturn Vue!

Had a BO on my 1997 Jeep Cherokee for 5 years, is this safty cable vheicle dependent?

Bruce
Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #9

I just had Blue Ox fabricate and install a new baseplate at their factory. When I dropped the car off, I asked about the safety cable since I had read about it in some of the installation instructions I had seen for other baseplates. The fabricator told me that they installed them on each baseplate the put on, and that even though many installers did not use them it had always been their recommendation.

If the instructions in your baseplate did not mention using this it is possible that it was written before it became a standard. Not meaning to be smart, but this is very much like buying a vehicle and finding out the the next years production of your same vehicle had a safety feature yours didn't. It is unlikely you would ever need the cables, but if you want to sleep a little better I would put them on.

From what I can see of the installation they did for me, it appears that one end is tied directly to the baseplate and the other is bolted into the frame of my car so that if the baseplate became detached from the car the cables would still keep the car hooked up to the MH.

I will say that they did a fantastic job of fabrication of the baseplate for me, it is a very clean, neat installation and they were even able to use the removable pin concealed system. Now if I can only get them to send me the AventaII towbar they promised me to let them use my car as a guinea pig I would be happy.......

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #10

Sorry about that, just found the instructions, and it does call out a "Safty Cable" on the "Toad" between the Baseplate and the "Toad Frame".

This was in an envelope marked "Installation Instructions", I did not install, had the work done due to "Whole front end of 2006 Saturn Vue" having to be removed and replaced.

Vue only had 206 miles on it!

Bruce
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by big jimbo:
If they feel this is a safety issue, then I feel that Blue Ox should provide the necessary parts to us.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you see the Blue Ox Destination America support team in a campground or at a rally that you might attend; I'm sure if you ask them they might just give you the cable if they have one in stock. If they don't have one they might just make sure that one will be waiting in your mailbox the next time you look. Blue Ox, bar none, takes care of their customers and as we saw in person at the iRV2.com National Rally they supported us without so much as a whimper. Equipped with a field tech (Duanne), a support and training team and enough product in a support vehicle, there is little that Blue Ox will not be able to provide its customers in the field. Aside from optional or follow on product sales or upgrades the maintenance and or parts replacements were accomplished at no cost to the rally participants, even out of warranty systems were covered.

Blue Ox rocks!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Whole front end of 2006 Saturn Vue" having to be removed and replaced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce, You are right about removing the ntire front end of the vue. I did mine myself, and it was no problem. The whole thing comes off, almost in one piece, when you remove a few plastic pins and a few screws. I have pics I can email if anybody wants to see.

The SCARY part of the installation is when you realize how thin the "frame" of the Vue is. IT is a box style, but you put the nuts on the inside of the box-because the base plate mounting bolts would crush the frame if you tried to through bolt it. The blue ox plate steel is about 10 times thicker than the Vue's paper thin frame. I don't remember anything about BO wanting a cable wrapped around the frame, but if it is needed, they should provide it with the base plate kit. WE should not be left in charge of engineering a saftey device, IMHO. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #13

Hey DriVer, Regarding "Blue Ox Rocks"

I have their Apollo Brake System, they called me to let me know that they had an up-grade
available. Sent the unit back with a $20.00 check, they installed a new "Mother Board" and
rebuilt whatever was necessary!! They even put on a new power cord with an "on off" switch
and Indicator light. Then UPS'd it back.

"Blue Ox Rocks"
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm wondering whether this "cable" requirement isn't vehicle specific. Using the Blue Ox Website I checked the online installation instructions for my toad, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and there is no mention of the cables.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote