Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Blue ox tow bar

We have an older blue ox bar that seems to work well with our saturn vue.
Only problem is when we go to disconect if the unit is not absolutely straight with the tow vehicle one side of the bar connection to the vehicle binds up and cannot be disconected As you As you know know it is sometimes difficult when parking to get a lot that you can pull into and have everything absolutely straight. We end up disconecting way before we park if we are planing to use the toad.
Anyone have this problem or a solution?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by resindiana View Post
We have an older blue ox bar that seems to work well with our saturn vue.
Only problem is when we go to disconect if the unit is not absolutely straight with the tow vehicle one side of the bar connection to the vehicle binds up and cannot be disconected As you As you know know it is sometimes difficult when parking to get a lot that you can pull into and have everything absolutely straight. We end up disconecting way before we park if we are planing to use the toad.
Anyone have this problem or a solution?
I have an Aventa II tow bar and had problems getting the pins out until I started greasing the pins. I use a waterproof grease and apply it after hooking and unhooking every dozen or so times. Some folks will start their toads and drive forward slightly after releasing the handles. I never have had to do that. I also have a small punch and have used it but only rarely.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found that if I release the pressure on one side, it will easily unhook. I usually have to kick one of the release handles to accomplish that.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi resindiana,
In addition to releasing the latch and moving the towed vehicle forward a bit, I have found turning the front wheels entirely to the right or left (I never turn it correctly the first time) will relieve the stress on the pins.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have the same "older" blue ox tow bar as us it has a collar that has to be pulled back to release it. If that is the case, apply a good waterproof grease under the rubber sleave and grease or clean the shinny cylinder with a recommended grease that will not destroy the orings/packing materials in it.

We have the same problem with ours. I believe the new ones with the release handle are easier to use and prevent this problem. At least it seems that way as I watch others disconnect their toad.

Dave
Old 11-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #6

I've tried something just a little different. On our rear view camera (on the dash) I put a very thin pin striped tape in the middle of the screen. When I'm about to pull into the campground I make sure that the toad (2001 Jeep Cherokee) looks like the hood is exactly in the middle of my camera judging from the tape. It is very rare that I have a problem with an old Roadmaster Falcon 52550 tow bar. Just something that works for me..... Good Luck..... bill
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
If you have the same "older" blue ox tow bar as us it has a collar that has to be pulled back to release it. If that is the case, apply a good waterproof grease under the rubber sleave and grease or clean the shinny cylinder with a recommended grease that will not destroy the orings/packing materials in it.

We have the same problem with ours. I believe the new ones with the release handle are easier to use and prevent this problem. At least it seems that way as I watch others disconnect their toad.

Dave
The newer ones with the release handles should be serviced by clipping the zip ties that hold the rubber boots on and cleaning the tubes and regreasing. Then use new zip ties to redo the boots.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
ox tow bar

this is sometimes consistent with tow bars. i have an ox aventa lx and at times on side is a little bound and i press that side release lever and nudge my jeep up a hair, usually solves the problem. kwik lube on the pins helps very much.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k
06 jeep unltd tow
ox aventa lx
Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 Suggestions.. Try two of them.

1: Lubrication: As per the owner's manual (if you need a new copy of the manual visit Blue Ox Products Home Page )

2: Pender, NE.. There are two facilities you might want to visit in Pender, NE. First: The Blue Ox company campground, It is a nice small campground (perhaps 20 sites) full hook ups (50 amp) Wi-Fi, and you will LOVE the nightly rate (When I was there it was $0.00) Second, the factory next door.

NOTE: the factory is on one road, the Campground is on the road you turn off of to get on the factory road.. GO TO THE CG first.. Then hike to the factory (Go past the road the factory is on)

3: Quartsite, or another large RV rally where Blue Ox Factory reps show up.

Tell them, what you said here.. See what they can do for you... Rumor has it they are very nice.

OH.. Been to Pender.. They were indeed very nice.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I used to have the binding thing when I towed a little Smart car with a gigantic drop bar... Usually was a PITA to get unhooked and I often would pull the receiver pin and back the tow bar out of it with the toad.

Since we changed toads to a Jeep and have taller position versus the receiver and about the same height variance..... the tow bar works great every time.

I have NO IDEA WHY.... but it is a GOOD thing....
Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #11

SOrry Dave
I do have the release handles and it still sticks unless everything is perfectly lined up straight. I have received many comments and will try them all.
Merry christmas
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have a newer Aventa II bar and mine sticks as well. One of the release handles is always loose so I wrap a short piece of Velcro around that to hold down and a small bungie around the other handle so it has down pressure applied. Then I move the wheel back and forth on the toad and can feel the bar release, then I move forward a few inches and unhook the bar. It's not a service issue because it's been this way since new.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote