Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Blue Ox Tow Bar Not locking

I hooked up my toad to RV with blueox tow bar as I have done many times before. I was told once hooked to back up toad slightly until you get resistance this always locked tow bar. This time only on locked. I realigned toad and reverse again now neither locked. New tow bar used 12 or so times. I will tried tomorrow am when piling out to see if RV pulling will lock bars?

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Can you manually extend the arms out fully and lock them without being connected to toad? I have had some issues over the last year with mine, but I pulled the arms out till they locked then hooked up the car.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have the car perfectly aligned behind the coach, the arms will lock when you gently back up the car. Most times, only one will lock and when you start pulling the car with the coach, the other will lock, especially when you make a turn in the direction that fully extends the unlocked arm.

If only one of mine locks after hook up and backing up toad, I just watch the bar in my rear view camera as I start to move the coach forward and I always see the unlocked arm engage (lever flips up).
Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Hurk! We too have Blue Ox aventa LX, towing Jeep gc. As with you, we connect tow bar to jeep, then back up jeep till levers Click/flip up to lock. But sometimes one leg didn't " lock.". We found out by experience and now use this method with more successful results : We hook up the tow bar to the Jeep...BUT ...we carefully! Look at
B O T H 'boots' on the two tow bar legs for ANY subtle differences in "length/extension" of one tow bar leg than the other --do this BEFORE you back up tow car. If one side is N O T identical length as fastened to Jeep,..you need to turn the steering wheel slightly in opposite direction of shortest tow bar leg "while" backing up tow car..and both legs should lock in :-). Using this " look for equal leg lengths" before we back up made all the difference :-). P.s., I believe this technique is also listed in B O 's towing instructions that came with tow bar. We rarely have any times both fail to lock first time using this method. The 'trick' is turning the steering wheel in the correct direction to increase "pull" slightly more on the shortest tow bar leg side...slowly backing up, slightly turn steering heel. Best wishes for you in the new year!
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
From time to time I have to adjust the locking levers on my BO Aventa tow bar so they lock when fully extended. To better describe the issue... when not connected to a toad, fully extend the arms of the tow bar. If either of the arms do not positively lock without pulling up on the locking levers they need to be adjusted. After discussing with the good folks at Blue Ox they gave me the secret to adjusting the arms to auto-lock.

There are square tubes that the locking levers are attached to. The end of the square tube just below the locking levers have a plastic cover. Pry off the plastic cover and you will find an adjustment screw. Turn the screw clockwise until snug (do not tighten, just snug). Then back it off (counter clockwise) 3/4 of a turn. You can test the arm by extending it and it should lock. If not make minor adjustments until it locks when extending it.

Write up the simple instructions and keep them with your departure check lists or manuals. In my case I have to adjust one of the arms occasionally and it helps to have the cheat sheet handy.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just drive away with my BO Aventa (older without the ball joint). No backing up the toad. Locks both arms every time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
When I was towing 4 wheels down, every so often I would need to clean the locking parts of my blue ox .
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the Aventa LX also, if neither side is locked when I hitch it up, it does with a few turns of the coach when I take off. My rear camera has a switch inside that moves it up and down. When I first start moving the coach I always watch the rear view cam to verify they lock.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are off even 1/3 of an inch one arm will not lock,, Just pull forward 10 feet, not back with the jeep but Forward with the Motor home, then re-check,, Odds are it will lock.. if not try another 20 feet or so (motor home length?)

If it still has not locked get out your Blue Ox owner's manual, in it there is a 1-800 type phone number.... Call it.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
From time to time I have to adjust the locking levers on my BO Aventa tow bar so they lock when fully extended. To better describe the issue... when not connected to a toad, fully extend the arms of the tow bar. If either of the arms do not positively lock without pulling up on the locking levers they need to be adjusted. After discussing with the good folks at Blue Ox they gave me the secret to adjusting the arms to auto-lock.

There are square tubes that the locking levers are attached to. The end of the square tube just below the locking levers have a plastic cover. Pry off the plastic cover and you will find an adjustment screw. Turn the screw clockwise until snug (do not tighten, just snug). Then back it off (counter clockwise) 3/4 of a turn. You can test the arm by extending it and it should lock. If not make minor adjustments until it locks when extending it.

Write up the simple instructions and keep them with your departure check lists or manuals. In my case I have to adjust one of the arms occasionally and it helps to have the cheat sheet handy.

Hurk
I tried to adjust the lock lever took the rubber plug off I saw the adjustment screw but it had a flat round head 1.5 in inside the sq tube couldn't get at it? I managed to get them to lock but when I pulled into campsite one lever was in lock position but very easy to push down?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #11

I found the adjustment screw I didn't realize there were two rubber caps ( must have been half sleep) anyway I opened the cap closest to the end of the lever and there was the adjust screw. I tried to turn but they were both so right I couldn't budge? I didn't want to force any,ore as I am pretty good at breaking bolts that one last turn! I pulled out each arm and they looke in places I could see the locking mechanism working. The levers are in lock position but doesn't take to much pressure to unlock I think this is normal. Maybe the spring could be a little stronger. This is a new blueox tow bar I'm sure they are fine. When pulling them by hand they snapped into lock position and I am sure that once hooked up to coach there is no way they could not lock with all that pulling power on the arms.

Hurk
Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
The reason why one was easy to push on is there was no weight or stress on it. The one that was difficult to push down has the weight of the towed vehicle on it. There is no adjustment to the handles, they are either locked, or not locked, there is no inbetween.

This is from the manual.
Hooking up Towed Vehicle:

1. Position the towing vehicle on a level surface with a straight driveway ahead and engage the parking brake. Position the towed vehicle behind the towing vehicle in the approximate towing position.

2. Partially extend one leg. The legs are held in with an internal “soft” latch. Pulling out on the leg will disengage this latch. Place the triple lug between the attachment tabs on the baseplate, and secure with the 1/2” pin and quick pin. Be sure the 1/2” pin is installed correctly through the attachment tab with the nose towards middle of the baseplate. Repeat for both legs.

3. On the towed vehicle, disengage the parking brake and set up the transmission for towing and unlock the steering wheel. Pull forward with the towing vehicle until one or both of the locking handles are engaged and locked (When locked they will “pop” up). If only one locking handle is locked, turn the towed vehicle’s steering wheel towards the unlocked tow bar leg approximately 1/2 to 3/4 turn, before continuing forward. Drive the towing vehicle forward until the second leg locks into place.

IMPORTANT: Check to ensure both legs are latched properly and pins are secured properly before towing. When properly installed the quick pin ring will snap back onto itself, and the chamfered side will be facing outwards. The steering wheel on the towed vehicle must be unlocked at all times while being towed. Failure to do so will create hazardous driving conditions.

Safety Cables:

1. Utilizing the hooks, attach the cables to a solid part of the chassis on the towed vehicle or the convenience links of the baseplate. Verify the safety snap clicks back against the hook in order to prevent disconnection.
2. Adjust slack if needed. Cables should not come in contact with the ground, pintle coupler or the locking handles; damage could occur! DO NOT USE DAMAGED CABLES! Route cables away from the locking handles. Safety cable contact with a locking handle could cause the leg to become unlatched and collapse, leading to major damage to one or both vehicles and towing equipment. DO NOT WRAP SAFETY CABLES AROUND THE LEGS!
3. Verify the load capacity of cables or chains used that meets the needs of the towing set up.

Unhooking from Towed Vehicle:

1. Park the towing vehicle with vehicle in tow, in a straight line, on a level surface to ensure minimum pressure is exerted on the tow bar legs. This will aid in the removal of the 1/2” pins. Engage the towing vehicle parking brake. Place the towed vehicle either in park for automatic transmissions or securely in first gear for manual transmissions. Unhook the lighting and safety cables.
2. Disengage the leg latches by pushing down on the locking handles. Remove the quick pins and 1/2” pins attaching the triple lugs to the attachment tabs. You may need to tap the 1/2” pins out if there is still pressure on them. Compress both legs completely until they lock in place. Place the 1/2” pins back into the triple lugs and secure with the quick pins to avoid losing either of them.
NOTE: Each leg is equipped with a "soft" latch inside the end. Push in on each leg until they are held in detent by the soft latch.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #13

When Unhooking, if you have difficulty releasing either latch......turn the steering wheel from side to side. That has always worked for me to release tension from the tow bar pins.....got that info by calling Blue Ox.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same here. Works for me every time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, blue ox