Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Blue Ox says try turning the wheels left and right.

Here is my suggestion.

If you have any reason to think there is tension on the bar (IE you depress the release and it remains fully extended) Then while depressing BOTH release levers stand on one of the safety cables This should pull the car forward just a bit.

Now while standing on the cable pull the pin on that side,
Cross over or walk around and do the other side. Same way.
If I could release the levers wouldn't have to pound them out. Only happens once in a while. Ever connect and disconnect equipment from a tractor? Directions say just pull the pin out.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If I could release the levers wouldn't have to pound them out. Only happens once in a while. Ever connect and disconnect equipment from a tractor? Directions say just pull the pin out.
Ahhhhh, it seems now it is not the pin's there is so much weight/tension on the tow bar forward/backward that the lever's won't release. If the TOAD is facing down/up a incline, you are going to have to take that tension off the tow bar and then put the TOAD in park, then the lever's should release with ease and the 2 pins should come right out with ease also.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #17

Using my foot, I release the levers. ...this removes the tension between coach and toad....then remove pins...occasionally I have to jiggle the arm while removing them. .
Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just turn the wheel to the left and then to the right, works every time!
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #19

I have used Blue Ox for 12 years plus with no problem. Until now!
Bought new Aventa??? Tow bar. First time out pins BENT in hitch. HAD to drive out with hammer. Out of town on trip. Contacted Blue Ox and RUDELY talked to from service person shipped new pins two days after scheduled to leave. Customer service lady wonderful and over nighters not a Happy Camper with Blue Ox newer products!!!
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
I have used Blue Ox for 12 years plus with no problem. Until now!
Bought new Aventa??? Tow bar. First time out pins BENT in hitch. HAD to drive out with hammer. Out of town on trip. Contacted Blue Ox and RUDELY talked to from service person shipped new pins two days after scheduled to leave. Customer service lady wonderful and over nighters not a Happy Camper with Blue Ox newer products!!!
I don't use the pins that come with the tow bar. Bought the Blue Ox locking pins. 3 pins, same key. 3rd pin for hitch. Look like better quality.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #21

You can't pull the pins when there is any pressure on them.

- Put the car in Park or leave it in neutral with the Emergency brake on
- Push the release levers on the tow bars
- If the pins stick, start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and try the pins again.
- Still stuck?, move the car forward (or backward depending on level) and get the pressure off the pins

You should never have to use the hammer again.

Absolutely correct works every time.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post

- If the pins stick, start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and try the pins again.
- Still stuck?, move the car forward (or backward depending on level) and get the pressure off the pins

Absolutely correct works every time.
One more to add:
- If you can't release the "levers" with hand pressure.....start the toad up and move it a bit to relieve the pressure on the lever locks, and don't release the lever locks unless in park or emergency brake is on
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

As stated. I have the same system with the Aventa LX (BX7445) tow bar.

The manual states on page 5 of 9, paragraph 2, " [...]You may need to tap the 1/2 pins out if there is still pressure on them. " So it is permissible to tap the pins out on the Aventa LX.

However, I have always been able to turn the wheel on way or another, or just put the car in gear and then in neutral and let it find it's own spot, then turn the wheel and free up a pin. Manual states that if there is pressure on a pin to turn the wheel left/right/center to try and free up the pin.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #24

One trick I was taught by a BlueOx engineer was to wrap a bungee cord around the locking levers so that when the pressure is released the levers will drop into the unlock position and stay there.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
One trick I was taught by a BlueOx engineer was to wrap a bungee cord around the locking levers so that when the pressure is released the levers will drop into the unlock position and stay there.
I have heard of that procedure but I have not tried it. I'll have to try one of my home-made bungee cord.

Okay! Tip on making home-made bungee cord. spend a couple dollars on a bicycle tire or go to a bike shop and ask for an old one. Cut it into 1/2 or 5/8 inch strips. No need to be accurate. The longer the strip, the longer the bungee is going to be. Cut the strips to the length needed. Bring the two ends together and tie a double knot. Put the home-made bungee around an object that needs to stay together, like RF cable, water hose, or around the Blue Ox lever, and slip the knot in the looped end. Pull to tightness desired.

Save lots of money not having to pay for bungee cords again.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
This is what I use. 4 Piece Ball Stretch Cord Set Works great.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow