Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Blue-Ox tow bar pins

Two months ago I added a Blue Ox tow bar to the RV and base plate system to the CRV. I have had frequent difficulty removing the connector pins from the car mounted forks. I always try to park as level and flat as i can, and I have tried various gears, and putting the car in neutral, with the parking brake set, of course. I have had to resort to carrying a small hammer and center punch to drive the pins out. I know this is a commonly used tow bar system, and I hope that someone has some suggestions. After towing on a dolly for three years, personally I much prefer the RV mounted tow bar system.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Community Administrator

What angle is your tow bar from the receiver to the toad ? Blue Ox says not to have it more than 4". This may be the answer if it's more. A drop down receiver will solve this.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can't pull the pins when there is any pressure on them.

- Put the car in Park or leave it in neutral with the Emergency brake on
- Push the release levers on the tow bars
- If the pins stick, start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and try the pins again.
- Still stuck?, move the car forward (or backward depending on level) and get the pressure off the pins

You should never have to use the hammer again.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Alignment of holes?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Two months ago I added a Blue Ox tow bar to the RV and base plate system to the CRV. I have had frequent difficulty removing the connector pins from the car mounted forks. I always try to park as level and flat as i can, and I have tried various gears, and putting the car in neutral, with the parking brake set, of course. I have had to resort to carrying a small hammer and center punch to drive the pins out. I know this is a commonly used tow bar system, and I hope that someone has some suggestions. After towing on a dolly for three years, personally I much prefer the RV mounted tow bar system.
Hi Bob, How do the pins fit into the tow bar and the CRV when just testing the fit? Do they slide right in and out OK? If so.......for some reason, the tow bar/baseplate holes are not aligned properly or in a bind when hooked together. You might have to take the pin ends off the tow bar to see how the fit when trying to put the pins in. And if you find the bind is in the alignment of the holes, you are going to have to use a reamer to ream the holes out so the pins will go in and come out without the use of a hammer, you should be able to just grab the ring on the pin and pull it out by hand, and maybe a little twisting/rolling action, but it should be fairly easy.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

also in a bind

I also find that my toad is in a bind sometimes and cant release the levers on the arms. Hook up is fine just need to figure out the trick to get the bind off.
beengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

- If the pins stick, start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and try the pins again.
- Still stuck?, move the car forward (or backward depending on level) and get the pressure off the pins

This is the way I do it if the pins don't come out easily. Always works and I've never had to use a hammer and that's in seven years of towing.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, with everything in neutral, turn the steering wheel around a bit and the binding will be relieved.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Exactly! You should never need or use force.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

I try to unhook while in a straight condition. I have noticed if you are not straight they do come out hard. I tap them with a rubber hammer if all else fails. As mentioned previously sometimes moving the steering will help.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
The secret is to pull straight ahead so that motorhome and car are both in line. If there is a difference in alignment, It binds the pins. During a show I may drive thirty motorhomes in a day from the lot to the show building. It works every time.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

I'd just about bet my last dollar that Blue Ox would cringe hearing anyone is using a hammer or mallet to remove the pins!

If you have to resort to that, like my Daddy used to say: "You ain't doin' it right!"

I got stuck (stupidity on my part) in a small gas station in New Hamphire where the toad was at about a 85 degree angle to the motorhome (the left front fender of the toad was just about touching the left rear corner of the MH. It took me a couple of minutes, but I did manage to disconnect the toad without using a hammer. Granted there was some trial and error: a little forward pressure, try the locks, a little rearward pressure, try the locks, turning wheels full left, try the locks, turning wheels full right . . . bottom line is I DID manage to get pressure off the locks to release them and thereby take pressure off the pins to remove them with just my old, fat little fingers.

My toad is an automatic and, normally, I have found that, if I inch forward until I feel resistance, then put it in park, it will relieve the pressure on the locks.
Again this works most of the time that I am not doing something stupid like "Hey, there's a 5 pound gas station, I think I can get my 10 pound motorhome in there"

Been using Blue Ox since 2005 (90,000+ miles) on three different motorhomes and 4 different toads and have never had to use anything but my hands to pull the pins.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Great advise since I started doing as in the above I have had no problems.

And I tow alot
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for all of the replies. I will print them out and add them to my clipboard checklist of things to remember. Next trip will be snowbird time in late December.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Ox says try turning the wheels left and right.

Here is my suggestion.

If you have any reason to think there is tension on the bar (IE you depress the release and it remains fully extended) Then while depressing BOTH release levers stand on one of the safety cables This should pull the car forward just a bit.

Now while standing on the cable pull the pin on that side,
Cross over or walk around and do the other side. Same way.

Tags
tow