Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Blue Ox Tow Bar Service

I have not been able to find a company in the Greater Los Angeles area that performs a breakdown and servicing on an Aladdin tow bar. Mines about 9 years old, been used a lot I want to have it looks at by someone that does this as a service. Any suggestions for the LA or Southern California area?
PatTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

When I had a Blue Ox tow bar, I found it difficult to find an independent shop or individual who wanted to do that type of service. I found that all the authorized Blue Ox dealers only wanted to sell new towbars and not do any maintenance service on used tow bars. I believe there are several places that rebuild tow bars but the ones I found were located in the midwest ...and they wanted an arm-and-a-leg to do a rebuild.

Obviously, the best place to have service done is to take it to the factory (in Pender Nebraska) or to one of the major rallies where Blue Ox shows up and can inspect and service your towbar for $30. "A Blue Ox service technician will inspect your tow bar from head to toe, replacing most lost or damaged components. This ensures that your tow bar is as close to factory specifications as possible and is still within its’ service life. All this for $30!" They'll of course advise you of any other issues.

One of the reasons I switched to a Roadmaster tow bar is that I'm primarily in the west coast states and frequently am in the Portland/Vancouver WA area so it's very convenient to get the towbar checked and serviced at Roadmaster.

I hope somebody can recommend a place for you to take your towbar in the greater L.A. area to have it checked and serviced as according to the Blue Ox website, most of the rallies they are scheduled to be at this year are in the midwest and east coast ...click here for their schedule --but there are two in New Mexico listed if you wanted to head that way. But you'd have to think that there's somewhere in the greater L.A. area that can do that for you.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTom View Post
I have not been able to find a company in the Greater Los Angeles area that performs a breakdown and servicing on an Aladdin tow bar. Mines about 9 years old, been used a lot I want to have it looks at by someone that does this as a service. Any suggestions for the LA or Southern California area?
Pat,
This may or may not help you. I've got both the Aladdin and the Aventa tow bars. I've had both of them disassembled all the way down to the last nut and bolt and roll pin. With the exception of the locking mechanism to keep the extension arms out, the rest of the disassembly and or, re-assembly is actually very easy. Inspecting them or, all the parts, is really nothing more than a good visual of each and every part. That's not very hard at all.

The locking mechanism is actually very primitive but, it works quite well as it's designed. Below, you'll see pictures of the Aventa but, it's almost identical to the Aladdin. In all reality, the only real difference is that the Aventa is steel and the Aladdin is Aluminum.

Anyway, if you feel it's not within your grasp or abilities to take on this kind of service, I most certainly understand. It takes a couple special punches and a few other tools.

But, I installed the Nylon shim kit in both of the Aventa and the Aladdin when I had them apart. You can obtain those shim kits in many places.

Anyway, take a look at what they look like, all broken down.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTom View Post

Contact Blue Ox directly they rebuild for about $150.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue Ox attends many FMCA and Good Sam events and provides inspection/repair services.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Not in Southern California but no too far away. (245 miles east of LA)

Blue Ox is represented each January at the Quartzsite and they provide their servicing of used tow systems at the show.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Contact Blue Ox directly they rebuild for about $150.
Last winter I called Blueox to inquire about rebuilding my Aventa. I had put on about 20K and it came with the MH with 50K when I bought it so figured it was time.
I wrapped the whole assembly in cardboard and sent it via FedEx to Blueox. They did the repair which included a new ball/socket assembly and returned it pre paid. Sum total to me was $190 for essentially a brand new tow bar.

Tags
blue ox, service, tow