Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Blue Ox Tow Bar with Readybrake

I'm all set up to tow for the first time but I just realized that part of tow bar can interfere with the readybrake cable. There are two tabs on the tow bar that stick up for what I assume is used to store the arms while still attached to the hitch.

I saw that NSA makes an extension that attaches to the bolt on the tow bar. It lifts the cable up so nothing catches it. Well... I bought it because their website said that it fits ALL Blue Ox tow bars. It doesn't fit the Avail tow bar.

My question is... is there any harm in spinning the part that slides into the receiver around so that it faces down? The tabs don't appear to interfere with any movements. I'm guessing the answer is yes and I'm out shipping fees on this silly extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 3.15.41 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	252810  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

I'm using a Blue OX Aventa 2 and the Ready Brake. My tow bar also hes two tabs that stick up and are used for stowing the towbar when no hooked to the toad. My two tabs are different from your but still the same basic principal and about the same location forward of the towbar pivot point.

I route my cable right inside the two tabs. it stays there perfectly and has never come out. When I first set this up I went to a big parking lot and did some very tight turns back and forth. My wife drove the motorhome and I chased along looking for something to go wrong with the set up. On at very tight turn the brake actuating cable got a little slack. On normal large radius turns there was no detectable slack in the cable. RV's never make tight turns at any speed so it doesn't affect the toad braking capabilities as far as I'm concerned.

IMO the two tabs will not hurt anything leaving them pointed up. I don't think it will hurt much if you turned that part of the towbar down but keep in mind that during tight slow speed turns your brake cable will get a lot of slack in it. As you straighten back out there is a chance the cable will snag on some part of the tow bar and then begin actuating the brakes prematurely.

If it were me I would just leave the tabs pointed up and make sure the cable is routed between the tabs.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Here is a picture of my Blue Ox and Readybrake. Notice the cable routed between the tabs. I have sense moved the cable clamps so they are far clear of the tabs.

Name:	IMG_8072.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	252817

Name:	IMG_8070.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	252818

Name:	IMG_7415.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	252819
Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

I'll probably just turn it over for this first trip just so I don't constantly worry about it. I'm planning a test run on Saturday morning down some country roads.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it before spending the money on what is nothing more than a 4" pipe. I'm going to try to get them to pay for return shipping since their website says it fits all Blue Ox tow bars.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
I'll probably just turn it over for this first trip just so I don't constantly worry about it. I'm planning a test run on Saturday morning down some country roads.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it before spending the money on what is nothing more than a 4" pipe. I'm going to try to get them to pay for return shipping since their website says it fits all Blue Ox tow bars.

Thanks!
Turning the front half of the towbar upside down will work but remember, during slow tight corners the cable will get several inches of slack in it. Plenty enough slack that the cable will be hanging below the towbar at the pivot point. As you straighten back up the cable could get hung up and begin applying the brakes even though you aren't trying to slow down.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Turning the front half of the towbar upside down will work but remember, during slow tight corners the cable will get several inches of slack in it. Plenty enough slack that the cable will be hanging below the towbar at the pivot point. As you straighten back up the cable could get hung up and begin applying the brakes even though you aren't trying to slow down.
I misunderstood what you were saying the first time.

After looking at it again I think I can build my own extender to hold the cable. It'll keep it from dropping below the bar. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #7

Readybrake

Does anyone here used Readybrake on a Chevy Equinox?
Rvpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Here is a picture of my Blue Ox and Readybrake. Notice the cable routed between the tabs. I have sense moved the cable clamps so they are far clear of the tabs.

Attachment 252817

Attachment 252818

Attachment 252819
I like your idea of bungee cords to make sure the tow bar pins stay in if the lock pins fall out.
I think I will adopt that.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Rvpop, I am using the Ready Brute Elite setup with our 2019 Equinox. I installed a Roadmaster baseplate and use the NSA adapters to the towbar. It all works well. Very pleased so far.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

Well, l I solved my problem with a tie wrap... I ended up drilling a hole across each tab and for now, I'm using a tie wrap to prevent the cable from moving to the outside of the tabs. It probably wasn't anything to worry about since the connections are almost at the same height. I'll look for a pin to stick in there later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 2.10.34 PM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	253248  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
Well, l I solved my problem with a tie wrap... I ended up drilling a hole across each tab and for now, I'm using a tie wrap to prevent the cable from moving to the outside of the tabs. It probably wasn't anything to worry about since the connections are almost at the same height. I'll look for a pin to stick in there later.
Yep, that will work just fine. Your brake cable will stay inside the tabs now for sure.

I do notice that it looks like your hitch stabilizer is upside down. Maybe it's just the picture but it looks like the forward lip is facing down. That lip should be facing up. It may work just fine that way but it's supposed to be facing up.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:09 AM   #12

You are correct. I threw it on last minute. It was in a box for several months. I thought it look funny when I installed it. Thanks!

Test drive was good. I didn't see any reason to adjust the cable. Readybrake indicator working like it should. We're all set up for our trip!

Thanks again!

Tags
blue ox, brake, tow