Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #15

It sounds like both points of view are very reasonable. When two quality products are involved as they are in this case, I would turn my attention to the method of installation of the base plate. I know that when I installed my Blue Ox tow brackets to the front of my Wrangler, I used great care in selecting the proper length grade eight bolts, and used heavy iron backing plates behind all the mounting holes to strengthen the frame. And all the bolts were drilled ALL THE WAY THRU THE FRAME.

I don't know what the mounting proceedure is for this particular vehicle, but to me the installation methods would be the first place to inspect. Just my .02

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I may have missed this in the previous posts, but who installed the baseplate and was it properly installed?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
It sounds like both points of view are very reasonable. When two quality products are involved as they are in this case, I would turn my attention to the method of installation of the base plate. I know that when I installed my Blue Ox tow brackets to the front of my Wrangler, I used great care in selecting the proper length grade eight bolts, and used heavy iron backing plates behind all the mounting holes to strengthen the frame. And all the bolts were drilled ALL THE WAY THRU THE FRAME.

I don't know what the mounting proceedure is for this particular vehicle, but to me the installation methods would be the first place to inspect. Just my .02

Sarge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why did you have to select "proper length grade eight bolts"?? Doesn't BlueOx provide the bolts with their bracket kit??

The tow hook area of the frame is weak. Thus Roadmaster provides plates for BOTH side of the frame. If BlueOx only provides a plate for the nut side of the frame this is not sufficient reinforcement as the failure proves.

Can someone answer the question I asked on the 18th??

"Does BlueOx reinforce the frame with plates on BOTH sides of the tow hook holes???"

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #18

No Tom, Blue Ox did not supply the bolts for the specific application that I used. I did not get a standard base plate when I ordered the tow bar. I used a universal mounting bracket and drilled through the stock bumper, which is about 1/4" plate steel, then straight through both sides of the front frame rail. I used backing plates between the bumper and the frame rail, and at the rear of the frame rail to stiffen the connection. One solid connection between the front of the mounting bracket, and the rear of the frame rail.

More than likely the situation that occurred was what you described on the 18th. I would suspect either loose bolts, or undersized. Even a rigid frame can rip out with the stress caused buy a vehicle bucking around on loose bolts.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
1) The system was installed to Blue Ox specifications by our Jeep dealer when the vehicle was new and utilized all the components provided by Blue Ox. When we trailered the "mess" to the Blue Ox factory, they agreed the installation was not in question. From the pictures I provided to help people know what to look for, it was apparent nothing had failed in the Blue Ox provided components. It had simply ripped the frame from the vehicle. 2) At the beginning of this planned 7500 mile trip, I had the coach completely inspected and serviced, and personally checked the tow bracket bolts for any signs of loosening, and (as we all do) visually inspected and lubricated all components of the tow system where appropriate. That is one of the scary things: that I was right there and did not notice any pending signs of this failure. Although I must admit I did not focus on the frame itself at all.....who would'of thunk ;&lt JB

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
We're assuming the height difference between the RV hitch and the Jeep connection was either level or no more than 4" lower on the Jeep side, right?

Backpitched toward the RV is bad news...

Haven't seen anything posted on this Blue Ox requirement.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SMI Manufacturing, Inc.:
I completely agree, but I go back to my previous post and ask "Why this one particular Jeep?" It is adequate all other applications from both Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Again, this is my opinion, and therefore I am going to agree to disagree as no benefit stands to be gained by anyone from this argument. I am just glad that when it was all said and done no one got hurt.

Brent Schuck
Research and Development
Graphic Design </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it is ONE PARTICULAR JEEP. Earlier this year we changed toads. We went from a Colorado to a Tahoe. The Tahoe frame is strong enough so that a major difference was no cross support was needed. HOWEVER, what now comes with BLue Ox baseplates is heavy steel cables that are to be connected to the baseplates and wrapped around the frame. That way if the plates pull out of the frame they are still held by the steel cable. An important point here is that a friend who also switched toads going from a Grand Am to a G6 found the same thing with his new Blue Ox baseplates - steel cables to hold them to the G6 if they brake away.

So, I'd venture a guess that BO has identified a weekness and the steel cable is the solution.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 AM   #22
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, I'd venture a guess that BO has identified a weekness and the steel cable is the solution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it is a weakness, but an additional safety measure.

I believe Blue Ox recommends the frame safety cables for all baseplates.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:

I don't think it is a weakness, but an additional safety measure.

I believe Blue Ox recommends the frame safety cables for all baseplates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say that I even remotely share your view. Why does BO suddenly include expensive steel cables unless it is to remove a risk? Why have they not been included for the past 10 years? My Colorado was a lot heavier than the 2007 G6 and they didn't include the cables with the baseplates. IMO they only add this type of cost when there is a risk that is significant - and I suspect baseplates have been pulling out frequently enough to warrant this added cost.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #24

Blue Ox has always recommended safety cables or chains for the baseplate for added safety. They were installed on my vehicles previously. Blue Ox stands behind their products and I have been very satisfied with them.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruthie:
Blue Ox has always recommended safety cables or chains for the baseplate for added safety. They were installed on my vehicles previously. Blue Ox stands behind their products and I have been very satisfied with them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They certainly were not part of the BlueOx package for my 2004 Colorado.

As to standing behind their products, when I ordered my Tahoe baseplates the cables WERE part of the package. Their web site said NO cutting of the body necessary. Well, the baseplates did not fit. They blew it and all they said was pull the body forward so they will fit right. Sure, and one tap and I've got a shattered front end. I guess they knew they blew it because I had to keep calling them to get and answer - and the answer was kind of silly. We had to cut - which didn't make me very happy.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ruthie, welcome to iRV2.

Come back and visit us often.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #27
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They certainly were not part of the BlueOx package for my 2004 Colorado. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The safety cables were not a part of my '04 Yukon baseplate, but they were recommended, and Blue Ox installed a set fro free.

I have a baseplate on the way for my '08 Yukon, and we'll see if the safety cables are included. If not, I saved the ones from my '04.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe it's just me - and no disrespect intended - but is it a good practice for an official "sponsor," no matter what their good intention, to get involved in the discussion of another manufacturer's product here?

Just seems out of place to me --- I'd suggest the person sign up just as an individual, then fire away with his/her engineering expertise. You know -personal opinion, not "sponsor" opinion.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not slamming any particular message or opinion, just struggling with the "sponsored by . . ." aspect. It would be like someone officially from Winnebago, as a sponsor company, critiquing a Fleetwood product.