Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Question Blue Ox Towing Products - This is the One?

I have decided to go with the Blue Ox towing products. Our toad is a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I will setup and install the base plates myself. I have read the manual, and seen the video, I'm sure I can do this install.

In checking around, no dealer will give me a quote with the individual prices of the components, and then show the labor costs, so I am going to order the stuff and do it myself. I want to see what I'm paying for, and no one seems to want to show me that part.

However, my dilemma is, one place, WBTW advertises on this site or has been mentioned on this site, wants to charge me for an Installation kit. None of the websites I have checked, mention this little gem. Does anyone know what this might be?

My braking system will be the SMI Stay-in-play duo because I have an Alpine Coach w/Hydraulic brakes. I may choose to have this installed, unless I can get a wonderful price on this little product. The best price I have seen is 1099.00.

So, if I understand all the in’s & outs correctly, I am going to order the below stuff, please review this list and let me know if I have forgotten anything. I will wait a day or so before I do it, to check back and see the comments.

Suggestions on online order sites would be appreciated, I have found some, but more might give me additional information.

Blue Ox - Aventa II Tow Bar. - Rated 10,000 lbs - overkill but want the added safety.
Blue Ox - Base Plates BX-1126
Blue Ox - Wiring Kit BX-8869

Thank you for your assistance.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes the store packages things like safety cables, maybe a tow bar cover, etc. as a "kit" and charges extra. Others will have the safety cables included in the tow bar price. If the kit is for the base plates rather than the tow bar, I don't know what it might be. For lighting, it is likley some adapters and such.

If they don't provide a description of what's in the kit, that's sufficient reason for me to go elsewhere.

RVUpgrades.com is a good place to buy Blue Ox.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
DIY is not a problem, been there, done that! Took me abought eight slow hours. Really slow hours!

Just don't forget the locktight! Been there done that!

Had to completely go through the uninstall, reinstall, after someone fueling next to me at FJ ask if the hitch was supposed to be moving up and down like that and I found three loose bolts and one missing! Co Pilot had to drive the toad home from there! And I read the manual, looked at the photos, and everything. Still don't remember seeing locktight mentioned.

Second time around was only half the time as the original install!

At least once on every outing, I grab the base plate and try to move it.

When you mention the install kit, I thought you were talking about the wiring kit, but see you are ording that, so I don't know what it would be. Mine came with all required nuts and bolts.

I ordered my baseplate for around $290 + shipping (about $20), but that was three years ago. Local shops wanted well over $800 for parts and labor, mostly 5 hrs. @$75-$85/hr.

good luck
'01 National RV Tropi-Cal, Ford V10, '01 Suzuki GV 4X4 Blue Ox Tow Bar,300 Watts Solar, 2500 Watt '458' Inverter, NO TVs, Most light fixtures upgraded to LEDs

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently installed the Blue Ox baseplate on my 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara, the directions were very complete. I found good prices on the internet, but bought it from the local dealer (Carpenter's in P'cola) they came close to matching the price and, a big plus, I had a good discussion with their tech as to what to expect. ( He also stressed red locktite).
Prices to install just the baseplate here were from $650 to $800 between the different dealers.
I had the Blue Ox towbar, safety cables and equipment from the previous toad. I used the same wiring kit you plan to use and it was fairly easy to install.
I did have to go to the Suzuki dealer to locate the Air bag sensor, it was not a problem on mine but not something you want to hammer or drill.
Good DIY project. My neighbor helped , an extra set of hands is sometimes needed.
Hope this helps
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Wiring Kit BX-8869
Call me biased, but I really think you would be happier with a harness which is literally plug and play. that includes a female 4-way connector and mounting bracket. There are harnesses made exclusively for the 2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler.

(In previous generation Jeeps as well as many other cars, the add-a-bulb solution is the best way to go - much better, in my opinion, than tapping into the OEM harness.)
1996-2015 Jeep Wrangler
Toad Wiring Solutions
Cool Tech LLC
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Old Rv'er
I also installed my own base plate last fall on my Cherokee Sport after getting a price. $$$$$$$$$ WOW.

Ck PPL Motor homes TX Blue OX Aventa LX $477.49

Ck tow bar finder.com for the base plate 309.50 also the light wiring kit for $52.00 They drop ship, had it the next day.

I also did the over Kill, never know, might need it some day.?

good Luck
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, do not forget the locktite.. And for at least the first few years check the bolts EVERY time you tow. My personal history:

1: I almost lost my towed. Not due to loose bolts but due to a freak accident that I never thought would happen, and it won't happen again. Suggestion, get LOCKING PINS for your receivers and adapters.. The spring locks at the towed are ok, but at the coach end of things get pins that need a KEY to be removed.. (The blasted spring pin got pulled totaly by accident, NOT by vandals, by accident)

2: I ALMOST lost the base plate on the towed.. Routine inspection of the bolts prevented a disaster

YOu do need safety cables.. Make sure your braking system can stop the jeep should it ever go off on it's own without authorization. Locking pins on the jeep end.. Not a bad idea but as I said, I've never had any problem with the spring pins provided and I've been using that kind of pin since my age was a single digit
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
I have installed two Blue Ox baseplates myself on a 99 Honda CR-V and a 07 CR-V. Everything that was needed came with the baseplates. As mentioned use RED Loctite and also use a torque wrench.
2005 Dutch Star 4015
Cummins ISL
2007 Honda CR-V
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The installation kit might refer to the safety cables from the toad to the RV, or it might refer to the cables from the baseplate to the toad frame. Or it might be something completely different - I'd talk to whomever is selling it to see exactly what it is...

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote