Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,
I had these on my 1995 Jeep Wrangler, which had a flat bumper that they were mounted on. I towed the jeep all over for about 7 years no problem. Does anyone know why I would not be able to use the same thing on my 2004 Wrangler??
They only cost $60.00 compaired to $330.00 for the 2004 jeep base plate! Thanks for any help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,
I had these on my 1995 Jeep Wrangler, which had a flat bumper that they were mounted on. I towed the jeep all over for about 7 years no problem. Does anyone know why I would not be able to use the same thing on my 2004 Wrangler??
They only cost $60.00 compaired to $330.00 for the 2004 jeep base plate! Thanks for any help!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hi Al,

I'm not familiar with the bolt on adapter tabs, but since the Jeep has a readily accessible frame, if the tabs are designed to bolt through the frame, you should be OK. The Jeeps have a cross tube at the front of the frame and a front to back boxed frame which is pretty tough. Having just picked up a Jeep ourselves, I'm amazed at all the Jeep accessories that are available to frame mount. All the various winch mounts/rock crawler bumpers etc, all bolt to the front frame in the same manner as the baseplate.

If you do decide to just go with the standard baseplate, I just picked mine up for $ 266.18 from rvupgrades . That will give you considerable savings if you decide to go with the conventional baseplate.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Joe-K,
Thanks for the quick reply, the tabs don't bolt on to the frame, they are bolted onto the front bumper. Today I am going to have a few of the motor-head's from work look at the jeep, and see what they think of my idea. If we don't like what we see, and I have to go with the regular baseplate, then I will check out rvupgrades for sure, $266.18 beats $330.00. Also did you put the baseplate on the jeep your self, and if so how hard was it, and how long did it take??
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Al,

Knowing the tabs bolt on to the bumper, I'm leaning towards saying that I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it. A few months ago, I picked up a used Jeep as a project for me and the kids to work on over the winter. As part of the work, front and rear bumpers were off, and I noticed my 5 yr old daughter was picking up the front bumper. The bumper is steel, but it is fairly thin gauge, and I'd be a little careful to directly bolt to it.

Very simple installation.... an hour tops. You remove 3 bolts that hold the steering box to the front of the frame. Lift the baseplate into place and re-insert the steering box bolts through the baseplate and into the frame. The other side attaches to the frame with 4 bolts. You do have to drill 4 holes in the frame matching the holes in the baseplate, but it's pretty simple. The only item you'll need to do the installation other than a drill and hand tools is some locktite to reinstall the steering box bolts.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Joe-K,

Thanks again for the quick reply, and I know what you mean about it being a thin metal on the channel bumper! Howerver I am not just talking about mounting it to just the channel bumper! After me & motorheads looked at it today we think that if we go through the channel and the tube behind it, with a support in the tube, it should be plenty strong!! It will be a little more work & time then the other baseplate, which is why they probley changed it from those tabes. In April we are going from NJ to VA to GA and back to NJ,so I will let you know how it holds up!!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I know what you mean by the thin front bumper. My 2005 Wrangler has the same lightweight bumpers. I ordered the Blue Ox baseplate for it, which mounts to the frame rails using the 3 steering box bolts and a new set of 4 bolts of the passernger side. It's a very solid bar. I'm not overly fond of the fixed tabs on the Wrangler baseplate though. My Cherokee has the removeable/hidden tabs which I like a whole lot better. I can just see me bending the fixed tabs on a rock someplace and not being able to reconnect to my towbar. I checked with Blue Ox and they don't do them at this time because of all the different bumpers that are out there. I think I'll find another baseplate or whatever with the removeable tabs and cut 'em off and weld it to my Wrangler tow bar. I already relocated the light socket studs because they too were in harm's way. I bought the new Jeep off-road bumper and hole sawed into the front for the lighting socket. I also had to get the plasma cutter out because the tow bar and off-road bumper were competing for the same real estate in a few spots. But, now that it's done I like it. All I need to do now is convert the tab style.

Warning! DO NOT listen to Joe-K regarding any info he gives you on those aftermarket catalogs. He sent me two links to places that I could get catalogs from. Now, 5 invoices later, I have a thermometric winch, skid plates, rock rails, rear rock bumper, shackles, straps, etc. It appears like I'll never have a bank balance ever again. OK Joe, to be fair, you did warn me ahead of time.

The sad thing is I mentioned to my wife how cool the Rubicon would be. The bigger tires, the 4:1 transfer case, the Dana 44 up front, and the look. And my wife thinks so to and keeps eyeing my Jeep over. Looks like I'm going to have to start this all over again one of these years on a Rubicon or else she may take over this Jeep and I might be walking.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #8
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Thanks to all who replyed, as I stated before motorhead friends and I feel we can safly use those Adapter Tabs, doing what I mentioned in earler post! Wife & I are taking a trip from NJ to GA and back home in April, so I will post back then and let you know how we made out!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:11 AM   #9

Why not make this easy just call Blue OX there customer service people will tell yoe which way it the safest and best way to do this.
IrishBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi IrishBear,

I did call Blue OX once last month and again 3 days ago, and I did not think I got a valid answer. The one person said " I don't know why you can't use the tabs,but my computer shows a different number baseplate, then the tabs" The other person said " I am not sure, but I think it has to do with the way the bumper is mounted"
So based on my 7 years of use on the old jeep, and after looking at my bumper and seeing how it is attached! I am going to try the $60.00 tabs over the $330.00 baseplat. As I said before I will keep folks posted on how I make out with the tabs.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm using the tabs bolted on the front of the bumper on my 2004 Sport. Before I did it, I asked on a couple of forums and got positive answers about it. I also added a 1/4" x 2" steel strap to the back of the bumper, using the tab bolts to help make it stiffer. Have not had any problem, nor do I notice any flexing of the bumper. I make sure to use the safety cables hooked into the frame, and have a breakaway setup with the Apollo unit.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 AM   #12
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Wilanddij,

Thanks for you reply, I am also going to beef-up the bumper!! I also always use safety cables and my brake buddy with brakeaway system !!!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #13
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Well as I said before I would keep you all updated on how things work out!! So we just got back from our trip from NJ to Ga and back to NJ, and after 2,070 miles the $60.00 bolt on tabs worked just great!!! I will admit I did check them more often then I needed to, but I never found any problems! Nothing was lose, and no problems with the tube bumper. So for now all I can say is that I am very happy with the $60.00 tabs instead of the $330.00 baseplate. Also to let you know we went down I95 & I85, but came back I75,I40 & I81,so it was not all flat road towing! If I should ever have any problems I will post and let you all know what they are! Take care all and enjoy all of your trips !!!!!!