Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Blue Ox VS. Roadmaster TOAD set up

I am going to pull the pin on a Jeep Wrangler as a TOAD.

What manufacture of the needed equipment do people suggest?

What are the differences?
mparus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a used road master 5 years ago for my jeep and never looked back. I have to turn the camera on to see if it still there it tows so well. No problem hitching or un hitching at any angle.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
We have the blue ox, and while i didn't like the patriot braking system the tow bar setup has worked great for us, didn't even know the jeep is there. Honestly, not sure you can go wrong with either.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

I've only had Blue Ox and cannot say enough good about the quality and more importantly the customer service.

If you are going through Pender NE area they offer free camping next to the factory and will service the product while you camp
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

We have the blue ox setup. Since we plan on keeping the new Toad for a long time we went with the stay and play braking system. Just hook up, turn on braking, and go.

Another thing to think about is a charging hookup to the Toad. Ours uses power brakes so we added that to keep the Toad charged up.

The other item the installer did was run the braking activated light to the dash on our coach. Easy to see when they are active.

I think either blue ox or roadmaster is a good choice. Based on our setup the installer recommended blue ox so we went that way.

As others have stated have to look in the backup camera to even know it is there.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

When I was ready to buy a tow bar, I watched owners of both do a hook-up. I then read up on how the tow-bars were built. I bought a Blue Ox and haven't looked back. It has been checked by Blue Ox Tech a few times and is still in good condition after 13 years. It is rated for 10,000 lbs but I only tow about 3700 lbs. My next tow bar will be another Blue Ox.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went with RoadMaster for some simple reasons: they have good products and their factory was 20 miles from home. Then they moved closer so only 10 miles now. Never been disappointed in my choice. I did upgrade from a Sterling to NightHawk when they first became available.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went with a combination setup based on my needs, quality and price. We have a Blue Ox towbar hooked to a Blue Ox base plate. I chose Roadmaster diode kit for the taillights as I thought they had the best solution. I also have the Hopkins brake buddy select and chose the Hopkins charging kit for the battery on our Equinox. We have had no trouble with the mixed manufacturers with almost all purchased from etrailer.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Second Blue Ox set up for new MH. I use Blue Ox base plates and tow bars. Went with SMI Stay & Play auxiliary breaking system.

Blue Ox just seemed to be a little better thought out and better built. JMHO.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

We have a Blue Ox setup and are quite happy with it. My only complaint is that the toad has to be pretty straight behind our motorhome when unhooking the tow bars. If we're at an angle it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get the pins out of the ends of the tow bars.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

Roadmaster setup

I have been towing my Jeep Wrangler with a tow bar from Roadmaster for several years. I also use the Roadmaster braking system. Have had very little trouble over that time. I have called their customer service on occasion, and have spoken directly to the people in the shop. They have been awesome.
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
I have a Roadmaster Blackhawk that has been through 3 tow’ds and 4 coaches. I bought it new in 2005 and it has given me trouble-free service. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, roadmaster, toad