Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Blue Ox vs Roadmaster vs Demco

I just bought a 2019 equinox 2.0 turbo to pull behind my 2007 Newmar gas motor home. Looking for input on tow systems. New to Rving. Thanks
Alaskan 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Having had both Blue Ox and Demco, I can say they are both excellent tow bars and would not hesitate to use either one. My only negative with the Roadmaster is some of their base plate/tow bar combinations have a crossbar that stays on the toad. I don't care for that look or function at all.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #3

I have a Demco that I've had for years and it's been on 4 different cars. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the Blue Ox mainly because of the base. It's totally invisible when not hooked up
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan 69 View Post
I just bought a 2019 equinox 2.0 turbo to pull behind my 2007 Newmar gas motor home. Looking for input on tow systems. New to Rving. Thanks
I cannot speak for the other brands, although I'm sure they're all good products, but I can tell you I have a Blueox Aventa 10,000 lb tow bar that came with my old Dutchstar over nine years ago.
I put nearly 30K miles on it including one trip to Alaska. It is now showing its age so I will be replacing it with a 6500 lb Blueox bar to tow our CRV behind our LTV.
The Aventa is discontinued and replaced by the Avail. If I required a 10,000 lb bar, I would certainly go with the Avail.

One of the reasons I like Blueox is that it is less visible when not using.
I use two 1 1/2" trailer ball covers to protect the pin receivers when I'm not connected.
Before you buy, you might want to check with Hitchsource.com. They sell all makes and their pricing is as good or better than most.
And tax & shipping free.....

Trailer Hitches, Trailer Hitch Bike Racks & Trailer Hitch Accessories | Hitchsource.com 4AA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	You_Doodle_2016-08-23T16_20_13Z.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	240227  
Old 03-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

Go to etrailer.com and watch the Blue Ox and Roadmaster installation video if they have one. I found that one required substantial irreversible modifications to my car whereas the other required minimal modifications. Some don't care about such things, but didn't want to hack up a brand new vehicle more than necessary.

Watching the videos may help you decide which installation to go with.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Demco and its now on my third coach. They have the best warranty, pretty much forever. My tow bar is close to 10 years old. !8 months ago I sent it to them and they reconditioned it at no charge. Demco is a first class company IMO.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
recently we decided to start four down routine.
i went with the blu ox because of its almost out of sight when the car is not being towed.
the road master cross bar is what i did not like.
my friends jeep has the road master and the cross bar is heavy and ugly in my eyes.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Having had both Blue Ox and Demco, I can say they are both excellent tow bars and would not hesitate to use either one. My only negative with the Roadmaster is some of their base plate/tow bar combinations have a crossbar that stays on the toad. I don't care for that look or function at all.
Roadmaster cross bars are always removable, some people are just lazy. They are only required on a few vehicles that don't have enough frame strength.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #9

I would decide based on the installed height of the crossbar connections. Get the one that closest matches your motor home Hitch. All those manufactures make good equipment.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #10

We have a BlueOx Avail. It has served its purpose, and held together nicely on some rough roads. Only complaint is that the finish on the tow bar and the base plate does not hold up very well.

If we decide to try another brand, Demco is next on the list.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I would decide based on the installed height of the crossbar connections. Get the one that closest matches your motor home Hitch. All those manufactures make good equipment.
See this thread
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435267
Old 04-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

Blue Ox for sure!

I like the look of the Blue Ox on our toad, almost do not know it is there and the set up is really easy once you have it installed.
fyll214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, roadmaster