Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RoadMaster is my vote.

Have quite a few friends that tow and we are basically split 50 -50 between Roadmaster and BlueOx. The only problems come from the 50% using BlueOx. They have had installation problems (Cutting and redrilling holes) to a failue in a tow bar that cost BlueOx dealer about 4K in repair to the back of the coach.

'07 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel 38N
Brazel's added: MP-8, Aero Muffler, Koni FSD Shocks, Bell Crank and Comfort Ride Control Valves. '08 Ford Escape Hybrid, Brakemaster 9100
Korryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
How do you want your eggs, over easy or sunny side up. That really is the question as each one of us have our own likes and dislikes.
Reading this post Blue Ox has the most support, does that mean it is better?
No, what it tells me is more people with Blue Ox gave us thier opinion.
If and when the time comes and I need a new hitch would I stay with Roadmaster or try Blue Ox, would depand if I could no longer use my Roadmaster system. I have switched it from one Jeep to another.
So the simple answer is what is available to fit the new toad.

2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
The Blue OX Toad Stop braking system is real a great system. It is completely seamless. It's all under the hood with a wire goingthru the firewall to the back of the brake pedal. No hookup time at all and no storage of a big brake controler. I have about 22,000 miles on mine and just took it in for an adjustment as we are going on a long 3 month trip and he just made some adjustments and no parts needed. When I see somebody in the rain hooking up their braking system under their steering wheel when I don't have to do anything, I really like my Blue Ox Toad Stop.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
With the Blue Ox Aventa 2 when the car is semi close I can hook up in less than 2 minutes, lights, safety cables, breakaway, everything. Just pull forward and everything snaps into place. Our good friend has a Roadmaster Sterling and I've helped him do his and it takes considerably longer to hook or un-hook. I installed the base plates on the Grand Cherokee and our old Blazer myself in about 3 hrs each in the driveway. Pretty simple straightforward instructions.
Which is best? They're both excellent products. My local dealer handles Blue Ox and EZ Lift so that's what I use now and used when we had Travel Trailers.

Dave, Miss Sue and Lucy the Scotty
00 Windsor, 40', Grand Cherokee Limited
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
I've got a Roadmaster Sterling as my tow setup that I use to tow a Jeep Liberty. Since I was new to all of this, I read all the posts I could find and studied the mfg'ers literature. I like this system but can't really compare it to any other since this is the only one I've ever had. When removed from the toad, the only evidence that I tow it are the connections for the Air Force One brake and lights and very small half-moon cut outs of the plastic facia.

When studying the systems, I was impressed by the systems that have the toggle handle releases that help relieve pressure on attachment pins. The only problem is that if the bar is under tension, as when you are parked uphill and the car is trying to roll back down the hill, the pins still cannot be easily removed. If I'm confronted with this situation I start the toad and pull up slightly and set the emergency brake.

My only comment about having the cross bar between the toad brackets is that this prevents the toad's frame from having to carry the transverse load caused by the angles of the two tow bar arms. The pull on the toad brackets is in a straight forward direction. Is this important? I don't know.

Based on the comments you've received, I don't think you will go wrong with either a Blue Ox or a Roadmaster tow bar.

By the way. I had a body shop install the brackets on my toad. Parts of the front facia have to be removed to install the brackets and I felt that this was body work, not RV work. I also think it might be cheaper than an RV service facility that charges $100/hr or more.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
I have only used Roadmaster but have been very happy with it.
2007 Presidio 39D

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox Installed the base plate for my Cherokee Sport in the garage, no problems.
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #22
I have the Roadmaster on a 06 CRV which i installed myself. I have no "bar" across the front, the mounts are hidden in the grill and it required no holes drilled, tabs bent or metal trimmed. I vote Roadmaster.
Alan & Patty
Inbetween RV's
2015 Silverado
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO, kind of like debating Ford vs Chevy. Both Blue Ox and Roadmaster sell good systems - guess it all depends what you like. I chose Roadmaster because their baseplate (XL series) is more unobtrusive on my toad when not towing.
2010 Canyon Star 3647
2010 Ford Escape
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
I think the OP was talking about using the system on a late model CRV (probably 2007-2009). If you look at Roadmaster's site for installation instructions on these vehicles you will definitely see a bar across the front.
Here's a link to the Blue Ox installation instructions for a similar vehicle.
I'm seeing very similar installation and final appearance for both vehicles.
Steve and Karen Fischer
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH on Powerglide chassis
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just bought a Falcon II towbar and had plates installed on my Wife's RX300. Very easy to connect the pieces and it is hard to see the baseplates. I bought Roadmaster because it was convient and you can get adapters for a Blue ox if desired. But this is all new to me.
98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Red face

I have a Roadmaster because that is what the installer dealer sold.
If he had sold Blue OX I would have that.

They both get the job done on what they do.
Tow a Toad

So I am a happy user of a Roadmaster Base Plate, tow Bar and air BrakeMaster.

I sure am not on a NASCAR pit crew. And have never timed how long it takes to hook up. As I really don't care since I am retired.
I am sure I can get hooked up before campground check out time.

But next time I am parked next to a Blue Ox user. Maybe he or she will want a contest on who is the fastest on hooking up in the rain.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #27
BLUE OX Base Plates and Tow bars

Anything is better than Blue OX. They once sang the tune that their base plates were hidden and not unsightly like others. Not so, any more. The base plate for the 2008 and 2009 Chevy Malibu is terrible and does nothing for the slick look of the car -- there are 4 protruding objects sticking out the front of the bumper, 2 of which protrude at least 4" (these are often referred to as shim skinners) and in my opinion illegal. I complained loudly to Blue OX and all I got was arrogant emails from D------a that poked fun at my concerns rather than trying to resolve the issue. She even labeled my email as SPAM.

If you have a complaint, good luck in trying to get to talk to someone with real authority.

My advise is stay away from Blue OX.
Teleman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On mine the bumper sticks out more than the two plates. I would say if the the parts were sitting in front of the car I could get the car ready to connect in 45 seconds at the most. Super easy. A lot more time required for safety chains.

But like Striker said he bought what the dealer had. I would have had to drive a long distance to get the Blue Ox.

98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote