Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BlueOX Aventa LX Locking

I used my new Aventa LX for the first time this weekend. I had a minor problem getting the right arm to lock in the extended position. Got it to lock eventually, but not as easily as the left arm. Also when in the stowed position same arm will not lock in the fully retracted position. The left arm locks easily extended or fully retracted. Do I possibly have a defective towbar. When fully extended it does lock for towing.

Charles and Edith
2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH w/2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2013 Honda Metropolitan NCH50
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
First I'd call Blue Ox and see what they say. It might be a lube problem that you can remedy yourself. If not you might have to ship it or that leg back to Blue Ox.

Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
We have a Blue Ox Advanta LX, and the arms don't lock in the stowed position. There is sort of a detent so the arms stay in the stowed position, but they do not lock. You can yank on the arms and they will open without pressing the levers.

In the extended position, both arms lock firmly. Some people pull the motorhome forward to lock the arms after the car is hooked up, but we always back up the toad. Sometimes one arm is a little difficult to lock when the car is hooked up, but that's because I didn't get the car perfectly straight behind the motorhome.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DW watches when I pull the MH forward to ensure the arms lock, wheels turn, and lights light.....No problems....The arms don't usually lock until I pull forward, unless there is enough room for them to be extended to the lock position when I hook up the Jeep.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

When the arms are retracted there is a detent to hold the arms from sliding out. The arms themselves have a round nub on the end of them. There is a rubber grommet in the rear of he case that this nub pops into when fully retracted. It takes a bit of a shove to set it and a bit of a tug to extend it when the rubber grommet is grabbing the nub on the end og the shaft.

The rubber grommets do wear out because they do get exposed to the elements. I replaced mine after 3 years because one would no longer stay in. It required disassembling the tow bar to get to them so you need a bench vise and some good sized sockets.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
We back up the car and see if one of the arms didn't lock. If an arm doesn't lock turn the steering wheel slightly in the direction of the unlocked arm and pull the motorhome forward about a foot and it will lock. (When sitting in the car's passenger seat, if the arm on the right didn't lock, turn the steering wheel clockwise about 1/8 turn.)

After we check the lights my wife watches the towbar and makes sure it locks and she makes sure all the wheels are turning. So far I've always remembered to stop and wait for her to get in the motorhome before hitting the road.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
I have a CRV for a toad. I am reluctant to back it up to lock the tow bar because I then have to go through the pre tow sequence again. Going from Reverse to Neutral is not recommended. Only Drive to Neutral. Therefore, I just pull ahead with the MH and the bars lock. Never had a problem doing it that way. My wife is my spotter and verify it locked. Plus I use the rear view camera. I'm concerned in the hustle of hooking up and doing all the checklists I may forget about the Drive to Neutral rule.
Charlie & Sherrie
Southeast Texas
'99 Southwind Storm, '10 Honda CRV
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Yep, when the bars are stowed, it's into what Blue Ox calls a "soft lock". After hooking up, I pull the MH froward while turning the wheel side-to-side. Both arms will lock as the DW looks on. Then check that the toads steering whell turn, all lightss work, Tow-V-Aire works, etc, etc.
2012 Thor Astoria 36MQ
Butter Toffee on Toasted Almond
'96 Cherokee toad Tim, Dar & our black Lab "Chase"
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I appreciate your inputs, I ended up sending the one leg back to BlueOX for them to fix-repair. The service rep had a bit of a hard time believing it would not "soft" lock in the stowed positioned and told me to slam it hard. Tried that to no avail. The other leg locked easily in the stowed position. I guess I could have lived with it, since it did lock properly for towing. But for what this thing costs, I want it to work properly in every function.

Charles and Edith
2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH w/2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2013 Honda Metropolitan NCH50
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote