Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
BlueOx Baseplate on new Jeep Cherokee Issue

I posted briefly about this yesterday. Have done more research now.

Towing on the straight and flat has not been a problem. Yesterday, however, after crossing a slight depression in the roadway, I experienced a violent jerking back-and-forth (side-to-side) of the 2015 Jeep Cherokee toad. The forcefulness of the jerking was scary and severe; it was felt inside the whole length of our 40 foot motorhome. I was able to control it only by braking and pulling to the side of the road.

I watched the rear camera as closely as possible as the Jeep appeared to be jump-skipping back-and-forth, side-to-side about 6 or 8 inches a jump, but could not determine what the steering wheel in the Jeep Cherokee was doing at the time.

Reading through several forums and product reviews this morning, I find that this issue is acknowledged but does not seem to be getting a lot of attention. IMO, there appear to be some themes, of which a BlueOx baseplate attached to a new style Jeep Cherokee is the most common. I want to share the fact pattern related to my experience to see if any of this is similar/identical to your experience.

• 2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
• BlueOx BX1136 baseplate
• Blue Ox BX7335 Aventa II 10,000lb Tow Bar
• Tow bar is about one inch out of being perfectly parallel to the ground.
• All bolts tight.
• Going up a ramp while making a slight turn to the left, approx 25 miles-per-hour, crossed a slight depression in the road such as those used to guide rainwater to the curb. The violent jerking back-and-forth began when the Jeep Cherokee crossed the depression.
• When the motorhome slowed to about 5 miles per hour the Jeep resumed proper tracking behind the motorhome.

1. For those of you with 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokees, or Jeep Cherokee TrailHawks, how does your experience with the side-to-side jerking compare?

2. If you have experienced the “jerking” what have you been able to learn about its cause? Were you able to mitigate the problem, or fix it completely? Please share what have you done.

3. Has anybody who is NOT using BlueOx products on thier 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokees experienced the side-to-side jerking that I describe?

Thanks!

\ken

PS. I am a big fan of Jeep. I am also a big fan of the BlueOx product line and even also use their Patriot braking system. In fact, the BlueOx BX7335 Aventa II tow bar has been used uncounted times without flaw towing my Wrangler and Cherokee (up to this experience with the Cherokee).

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
MODERATOR: Please move to 'Toads and Motorhome Towing' forum. Sorry. \ken

Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ken, if you want to get the attention of a moderator, you have to click on that little red triangle (report post) at the bottom-left of the post.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Ken,

I have the Bule Ox BX1136 base plate, and have the Alpha BX7365 (6,500lb) tow bar.

As noted previously on the other threads, I have not (yet at least) had this wobble issue. It certainly appears to be related to a specific set of circumstances, so it seems like if it happens, just stop and then pull away again.

The one other thing that was mentioned on the other forum that I referecened is putting a bungee cord around the bottom of the steering wheel and tying off so that it would want to pull the steering wheel back to straight.

I have a very slight drop from my receiver / in the bar to my base plate connection.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2015 Cherokee Lattitude with blue Ox Aladdin tow bar and Patriot brake system. I have not experienced the problem yet and I hope not to.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #6

I have that same setup (OP's base plate and tow bar) on my 2015 Trailhawk...zero issues with over 3500 cross country miles. Thus far, it has been a pure pleasure to tow.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Zero problems towing my 2014 Limited for approximately 7,500 miles.

I have read where others have reported the same problem.

Do you regularly have anything of significant weight in the back of the Cherokee while towing?
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, guys. Data is good.

I agree -- the Cherokee is a great life-style vehicle for us RVers. And I have only had this one instance of the back-and-forth jerking, but boy is it scary to [temporarily] lose control of the MH like that!

Betr2Trvl: I like the bungee cord idea ... I will see how to make that work for me.

BobGed: As you know, the space behind the rear seat is not very generous. When not a toad, that is where we keep the Patriot and all the connecting cables for the towing setup. So when it is a toad, all that is back there is a small tool bag and some jumper cables. HOWEVER, I do have 90 pounds of kayaks on the roof. Now you got me thinking...

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.

\ken