Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So I guess when I pick up my RV (two hrs. away), the tow dolly he gave me is gonna rock 'n roll all the way home? Yikes!

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Just reduce tire pressure to 22-25 lbs. Years ago I wanted to rent a dolly, U Haul insisted I get one near where I was picking up the car, (300 miles away) they wouldn't let me pull long distance empty.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When loading the car on the dolly pull it all the way forward and then let it roll back to the rear of the wheel tubs and put the car in nuetral. As you tighten the wheel straps it will pull the car forward. Tighten the straps and put the car in park with the key in the lock position. (Don't do this with a acme tow dolly it's totaly differant than most all other tow dollys) You will find with this method the straps will stay tight but its still a good idea to check them when you stop along the trip.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the tip BFlinn181

Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepaj View Post
So I guess when I pick up my RV (two hrs. away), the tow dolly he gave me is gonna rock 'n roll all the way home? Yikes!
Put the car you drove there in on it!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well DonDee that seems like a logical solution but, the car is all wheel drive (don't think it can be towed) and I've never towed before and it's 2 hrs. away,
Thanks!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrystar3 View Post
So I bought a used tow dolly from another rv owner. It's a Uc Tracy. TowDollies.com - Tow Dollies and Tow Dolly Accessories I got home and after explaining to my bride why it was such a good idea to have one I hooked it up behind my truck and loaded my front wheel drive Toyota Camry onto it. After fighting with the tire nets for about an hour I was ready to go... As I drove Round the block the tow dolly makes funny noises, I assume its some of the pea gravel that is stuck between the swivel base and ramps? Making right and left turns scares the hell out of me cause I swear its gonna crunch the side of the car when turning right or left

There must be some basics to using one?

Am I suppose to leave the power steering unlocked? There are no safety chains? It does have surge brakes.

Can anyone shed some light on using a tow dolly and reassure me it will make the 5 hr trip behind my motorhome in a couple of weeks. I can't believe that the manufacturer doesn't even have a video out there on how to use their product or instructions

I'm gonna play with it some moe this weekend...

Advice please?
Looking at the linked website - it seems you have a dolly that is almost duplicate of the Acme EZE-Tow...it has no pivot pan or steering axle.

So FIRST, you will want to get safety chains for the dolly to dingy - just for cheap insurance.
Reese Towpower Safety Chain: Automotive : Walmart.com

After loading, you will want to UNLOCK THE DINGY's STEERING to allow the dolly and dingy to pivot around turns, just like any flat towed dingy - see video linked below.

And you will want to check the wheel straps for tightness when ever you stop just like any dolly or trailer load straps.

Best luck

Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your dolly has a pivot then you do not want to have your steering unlocked. On my old dolly (TowMaster) I added safety cables for the car for my peace of mind. They were a pain as I had to lay on the ground to hook them to the car (real fun in the rain).

I did see something in California that freaked me out, a guy had an old tow dolly, no straps on the tires and one chain made for a swing set from the car to the dolly. The car stayed on the dolly by being in "park."
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #23

First tow dolly experience...

So, I just towed my 2000 Honda Insight 3000 miles using the Acme EzeTow dolly behind my 36' Class A motor home. I had no concerns with the towing, I didn't even know it was there! I unloaded and loaded twice by myself, once in the dark (just to prove I could do it) This is the first dolly I've used and if I was to design one myself, it would be pretty close to this unit.

I lost one taillight which may have been due to a piece of truck tyre in the road, I don't know. I sent a short email to the gentleman I bought it from (it was three years old) during the trip and briefly mentioned I'd lost a light. Two days later, he sent me an email that Richard Brown, the owner of Acme wanted me to call him. I did and was told that they'd be sending me a pair of newly designed taillights at no charge, which I just received! I think that's pretty impressive customer service...

I will definitely suggest to others that they at least check out Acme if they're in the market for a well-built, lightweight, welded tow dolly.
JonandJoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Beepaj,
Here is my take on tow dollies.I have a 2010 Mastertow tow dolly I bought used in 2011.I tow a 2012 Hyundai and I have towed probably 5000 to 6000 miles and have never had a problem.There is about 8 inches clearance on the inside of each fender from each side of car.Like one of the other posts if you stop the car a couple of inches from the tire stop and then tighten the straps as tight as you can you shouldn't have any trouble.My dolly is the 80thdeb model.Good Luck and be safe.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There should be 2 safety chains attached to the trailer that hook on the RV hitch. They should cross under hitch tongue so they support tongue in case hitch fails. In addition, chains or cables should also be used to back up the stretchy nylon tire net straps. The car's steering should be locked, if it doesn't lock, then steering wheel should be tied down to prevent turning. Be to sure to stop after a short time and check tightness of the tire straps, they almost always stretch and require tightening a few times during trip. I'd use something to remove all pea gravel from between swivel base and ramps so they can be firmly secured. You don't mention brakes on the dolly, that would be a good idea to aid in stopping safely and is required in many states you may travel through if you own state doesn't require them. U Haul has good instructions here: U-Haul: Tips: Tow Dolly User Instructions
He did state it had Brakes.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
He did state it had Brakes.
When he first posted, he didn't mention brakes, he added that after I commented and before his hour to edit time ran out. Thanks for pointing that out 3 months and 3 weeks after the original exchange.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Master Tow (swivel plate) with surge brakes. I bought it used and the webbing was pretty worn. When I did a dry run with our Solara (i.e. camry's convertable cousin) I did not like how the straps fit. The MT website sells three size of straps (the dolly came with the middle size with the adjustable buckle). The replacement was only listed as being able to go to a 16" wheel. The Solara has a 17" but the aspect ratio is lower than most 16". I opted for the larger size webbing. It holds the tire around the sides vice over the top. Even with a brand new webbing it did not allow the tires to move on the pan (against the front stop). The "toad" safety chains were optional so mine did not come with them. I went to our local Tractor Supply Store and bought a pair (sold individually) of safety chains rated for 3500lbs each and two (can't recall its name but a "C" shaped metal thing thicker than the chain that has a built in nut so when it is closed it is an "O"). It has worked great. The only problem was when I got rushed and forgot to install the tilt pin after loading the car and pulled away. A half hour later I had a bad feeling I forgot something and pulled over. I left the pin on the ground at the CG. My new pin is safety wired to the dolly and the pin is now on my "towing" checklist.

FYI, most dollys come in tow widths (77 and 80") I have plenty of side clearance with the Solara and the 80" model. My only complaint is the Toyota's locking steering does not lock in the straight position, only turned. I lock my steering wheel club in place so the bar ends up wedged between the seat and the door.

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow dolly