Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #15

The government can make all the laws they want...doesn't mean we will pay any attention to them.
Well that same government will not have a problem charging you for manslaughter if your toad breaks away and kills someone.

But skip the government, how can you morally endanger people?

Dale & Mark Bruss
10 Years Full-Timing now 40' Travel Supreme
Now with a 2016 Bounder 33C
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
A many great do have brakes, too. I haven't done an exhaustive survey, but I'd say I've seen more with than without.

The thing about choosing to follow the law or not is also about choosing to accept the consequences. If you get caught just by bad luck (stopped because a tail light was out or something) and a police officer notices you don't have a toad brake, you probably get an infraction ticket and go on your way.

If you hit someone - even if it's because the genius pulled out right in front of you, and that person dies, you will almost certainly lose the lawsuit when it comes out that you didn't have a toad brake (and it will come out), and run real risk of being charged with a crime, maybe even up to vehicular manslaughter. In the latter case, I would expect anyone who looked at the law, looked at the risk, and chose to go brakeless just to save a tiny amount of money and a few minutes set-up before getting on the road to just pay up in the civil suit and plead guilty in any criminal proceedings.

A toad brake will cost a thousand or two in parts and labor, depending on whether it's new or used and what type of brake it is (I bought my Even Brake used and have maybe 600 in it and some sweat equity), but at the scale of even a gas MH, that's a fairly tiny amount. It's way less than what I spent on gas this summer, even. For those at the diesel pusher income level, it's an even smaller amount.

In short, there's no rationalization that I would buy for not having a toad brake for any combination of vehicles beyond a Smart Car (or maybe a Miata, MG Midget, or something like that) behind a large DP. The law is clear, and the ethics far clearer. If I had ignored the law and the morality of the situation, I almost certainly would have been in a wreck last month. The situation wasn't my fault, but if I'd hit the person who did the stupid thing right in front of me for lack of a toad brake, that would have been. Fortunately, I had one and can tell the story as a near-miss.

To veer off topic for a moment, I saw an interesting set up on a DP going the opposite direction this summer. A big (had a tag axle) DP had a Smart Car hanging on the back. Literally. It was completely off the ground, mounted transverse to the MH, in some sort of carrier like the ones used for electric mobility scooters, only much bigger. Pretty cool, and completely removes the need for a toad brake :-) On a vehicle that large, I expect it was within GVWR, too.

JB, wife Thuy, 3 daughters, my dad, cats Lyn and Sami
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35H/2009 Honda Odyssey toad
San Diego, California
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Well that same government will not have a problem charging you for manslaughter if your toad breaks away and kills someone.

But skip the government, how can you morally endanger people?
I didn't say I did not have or use brakes on my toad, I was simply making a comment that regardless of what the law says, some people will ignore it, and do as they please. If you are concerned about "morally endangering people" I suggest you talk to the 5th wheel owners pulling 16k to 18k RVs with 3/4 ton trucks.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #18
Originally Posted by HSnyder View Post
Stow master tow bar. Stays on the Jeep. Works great. Easy hook up. No extra braking system needed. The Jerp Wrangler tows great. You won't even know it is back there. People tend to make towing a vehicle way to complicated. Keep it simple.
The Stowmaster may be fine if you don't intend to do any off roading, however it should probably be removed if you do intend to go off the pavement. When it does get removed you'll need a place to store it.

We use the Sterling All Terrain. It stays with the motorhome so only the base plates need to be removed for off roading.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote