Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #1

Looking at both units and would welcomme recommendationns. Also have looked at the Roadmaster even-brake which I understand is a replacement for the Brake Pro. Is there an advantage to the Brake-even.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #2

Brake Buddy/ Brake Pro

Looking at both units and would welcomme recommendationns. Also have looked at the Roadmaster even-brake which I understand is a replacement for the Brake Pro. Is there an advantage to the Brake-even.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #3

I don't know of any advantages of one over the other but I can tell you that we use the Brake Buddy, the set-up is very simple, very quick and it works well.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also have the Brake Buddy and works very well and easy to use.
Marv
Old 11-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #5

Why not throw the Apollo from blue ox in there two.

we have one been great, easy to use, quick set up
Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

I use the Brake Buddy. Had a problem where it flashed the remote light indicating rapid on/off applications of the brakes. It finally blew the fuse in the toad that powers the unit. Checked the toad and found no problem. Suspected a problem in the Brake Buddy. Contacted Tech Support, They had me ship them the unit and they totally replaced everything except the case. Tech said it had a control board failure. They updated it with all new parts. Only cost to me was initial return shipping to them. Unit was repaired and returned to me inside of 2 weeks. I would strongly recommend the company just on the response from their tech support people.

Newmar '06 KSDP 3511
flnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #7

I've been using the original Brake Buddy since 1999. It works now just as well as it did then.

I'm on my 2nd rig, third tow car and my first Brake Buddy.

I've always had the brakeaway system installed as well.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Brake Buddy, can change from car to car. 55,000 trouble free miles.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #9

We have had B Buddy for over 4 years, we full time, and have over 36K on unit, no trouble yet.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #10

We just bought our first Brake Buddy. Can anyone explain how it works when you plug the unti into the motorhome? We cannot see any connection between the brakes in the motorhome and the plug in the cigarette lighter!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa bear 1 View Post
We just bought our first Brake Buddy. Can anyone explain how it works when you plug the unti into the motorhome? We cannot see any connection between the brakes in the motorhome and the plug in the cigarette lighter!
Thats your onboard monitor. Kinda like a radio signal from your BrakeBuddy to let you know it's working. The light iluminates when the toad brakes are applied. It'll tell you if you've lost your toad, too. Moho cig. lighter provides power for the receiver.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A bb works by an accelerometer that monitors the braking deceleration of the MH. The sensitivity adjustment with the proper pressure for the weight of the TOAD controls the point of actuation. As an example, I have a 3100 lb TOAD, pressure setting of 45 psi and a sensitivity setting of 4 (mid range). JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally, unless you change towed's often I recommend AGAINST the box in the driver's seat units.. ALL of them. Here are some of the reasons.

They draw power from the towed's battery, and on a long enough trip may draw so much they malfunction and/or kill the towed.. (unless you add a towed-charge system to your hookup).

They say "NO installation required" But the fact is you have to install them EVERY time you tow.. EVERY TIME.. and this means

1: It is very easy (on a short trip, say to the dealer) to say "OH, IT's too much hassle for such a short tow" or

2: To make a mistake NOTE: I have seen "installed" (Professionally) systems where the installer made a mistake so ... But that was fixed one time, not an every tow thing).

With most of the "installed" systems you simply plug in, that's all there is to it, nothign to position, Many of the installed systems compensate for brake vacuum (or bleed it off automatically) Some of them give you the same level of control over your "Trailer" (A car in tow is a trailer) that a semi driver has over his trailer. Many either draw no power from towed battery or... Provide for recharging it off the motor home.

And of course it is impossible to "Just forget it for this short tow" .

Tags
brake