Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

Brake Buddy Compressor Cut-Out Pressure

My Brake Buddy is running the compressor continuously and I can hear a small leak as well as the system bleeds down in about a minute. Pretty sure the regulator is leaking. Does anyone know the cut-off pressure (the switch on the tank .... not the gauge pressure)? I'm guessing it's around 90 lb. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #2

Well ... it would appear no one knows the cut off pressure. So ... as soon as I get a chance I'll try to determine the pressure.

I'm assuming the BrakeBuddy works as follows (if anyone can confirm or deny please let me know):

1) When plugged into a 12 volt source the air pump engages and pressurizes the tank and input of the regulator to approximately 90 psi (pressure switch).

2) The pump stops when "cut off" is reached and will not restart until the air pressure drops to the "cut in" pressure (unknown pressure that closes the pressure switch ... typically about 20 psi below the "cut off").

3) The regulator supplies lower pressure (as set by user with knob and gauge ... the gauge shows regulated output pressure and NOT input pressure). The set pressure controls how hard the pedal is depressed. The label on the BrakeBuddy indicates 85 psi for very heavy vehicles so I'll assume max input pressure to the regulator is slightly higher. The p/n label on the regulator shows 7 - 135 psi.

4) The Sensitivity Control selects "when" the pedal is depressed.

So, my assumption is that whenever the pump runs continuously (or too often) it is due to an air leak, a weak pump, or insufficient voltage/current to the pump. It would also appear the logic board has no control of the pump. This is typical of a compressor system where pressure is controlled by a pressure sensitive switch.

BTW, the pump motor has a label of "12v - 10.5" and, since the circuit is fused at 15 amp, I'll also assume the BrakeBuddy draws around 10 amps when the compressor is running. If the compressor is running frequently, and the toad alternator or a supplemental charge is not present, 10 amps is quite a draw on the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1052657.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	31492   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1052659.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	31493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1052660.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	31494   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1052663.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	31495  

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Although currently no one seems to care, at some point maybe someone can use some of this info. Today I disconnected the tubing from the reservoir (going to the regulator) and reconnected it directly to the gauge. When plugged in, the pump started and shut off after 34 seconds (at a pressure of 86 psi). The system held this pressure (a 1-2 psi drop) for 45 minutes (good enough for me). I started a very slow bleed down and at 80 psi the pump restarted and came back up to 86 psi in 3 seconds. I concluded the pump, reservoir, switch, gauge, and bleed button are functioning correctly. I believe the regulator is leaking and will replace it this week and retest.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

Received my new regulator from Amazon today. I substituted this:
SMC AW20-N01H-CZ Filter/Regulator, Polycarbonate Bowl with Bowl Guard, 5 Micron, Manual Drain, Relieving Type, 7.25 - 123 psi Set Pressure Range, 28 scfm, No Gauge, Panel Mount, 1/8" NPT: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

for the original. Only difference is the sub does not have "auto drain" .... not an issue for me since I don't expect to have a lot of moisture in the system. I can always manually drain but I never saw moisture in the original.

and yes ... the regulator fixed the problem. The system works as described above. While I was at it, I replaced the tubing and installed a new power cord with a 2-pin trailer connector mid-way and a dedicated cord back to the battery with an inline 15a fuse. I installed the dedicated line because, after looking at a few cigarette lighter plugs, it appears they are not really designed to handle 10 amps .... the spring behind the internal fuse is a very small gauge wire. Also installed a battery disconnect from Advance Auto.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you got it handled. I sent my 10 yr. old unit to Brake Buddy and they completely rebuilt the entire unit with new compressor, lines, updated to digital and the whole nine yards for $110. I am very pleased with their service. and prompt too!!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
Sounds like you got it handled. I sent my 10 yr. old unit to Brake Buddy and they completely rebuilt the entire unit with new compressor, lines, updated to digital and the whole nine yards for $110. I am very pleased with their service. and prompt too!!
Thanks, the recent quote (last week) is nowhere near what you paid. Compressor/power cord/labor/shipping is now $153 .... regulator/labor/shipping is now $120. Combinations of the above (a rebuild) are about $225.

Still not unreasonable and probably worth every penny .... and BrakeBuddy service and support is excellent.

In my case, because I had the time (and my labor is free) , my costs were about $35. If it had needed a compressor I would have sent it in for repair. Fortunately, the compressor did not run (in a continuous mode) long enough to sustain damage.

BTW, these units seem well built and very reliable. You just need to catch an air leak early. If it takes more than a minute to pressurize from empty, somethings wrong. And, if you pressurize it, set the regulator to about 75 psi, unplug it and let it sit overnight, it should not bleed down more than a pound or so.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my Brake Buddy 2nd hand, i a sealed box that had never bee used. I was proud of my find for only $350. It worked great twice and the 3rd time the compressor continued to run and not build enough pressure to shut off. After trying to diagnose and then calling Brake Buddy, I decided to send it to them in the original box. They called and said it would be about $200, I oked it and they sent me what looks to be a brand new unit but in a plain old brown cardboard box which did not impress me since that certaily does't help my resale value. The new one is digital and they said it would'nt fit in the box. It's been working fine so far but on the new one I have no choice but to push the "Test" button 5 times to get it ready for duty. After that, my battery is already half dead. On my old one, I just pumped the brake 5 times with my foot before hooking it up to relieve the brake booster.
They also sent me the direct to battery hook up, which still kills my battery so I never bothered to hook that up. That was not my problem in the first place.
I may be the first to say, that I was not super impressed with BB customer service.
Very ingenious fix Bruceisla

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, compressor