Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake Buddy Compressor seizure

I don't power my jeep with my motorhome. Therefore, there was no affect on the motorhome as far as electrical consumption was concerned. I took the Brake Buddy apart and the motor for the compressor was cooked. I also noted that the compressor it drives was locked up. I needed the unit so I ran the air hose and pressure switch wiring out of the unit and hooked up an external compressor. It worked for awhile but the Brake Buddy wants to maintain about 160 lbs of pressure in the air tank and turns on the pump at about 150lbs. Most of the 12V compressors that I tried have trouble starting with that much pressure on them. I still haven't heard anything from Brake Buddy so don't know if the pressure switch could be the source of the problem. As for burnt wiring and such, the fuse holder was hot and the fuse holder/plug were partially melted. The wiring was fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JDL. No, the power cable feeding the BB was fine. The power cable is a separate, dedicated cigarette type holder but heavier gage. It is not the OEM installed cigarette lighter. The BB Unit was not deformed, just a strong burnt smell/odor.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
One of the primary reasons to use fuses or circuit breakers is to make sure the current is stopped before the wires/insulation gets so hot as to be dangerous. Something was incorrect in your set up, either too small wires or too large a fuse. It doesn't explain the initial problem that caused you to pull over, the engine surge. As JDL pointed out, the amperage pull that wouldn't even blow a fuse couldn't cause noticeable load on the alternator to slow the engine down. I'd keep looking, perhaps other wires on the RV engine or charge circuit are burned, the battery might have internal problems, etc. Did your check engine light come on in the RV? Perhaps there's a code that can point to a voltage drop, messing up the ECU or something else.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
JDL. No, the power cable feeding the BB was fine. The power cable is a separate, dedicated cigarette type holder but heavier gage. It is not the OEM installed cigarette lighter. The BB Unit was not deformed, just a strong burnt smell/odor.
That is what I expected. As BFlin181 and I have said, the fuses are probably sized correctly for the wire, and you arent "underprotected" as you have confirmed from the condition of components. The fuses are not capable of protecting all devices in a circuit, therefore smoke can be generated without the fuses opening.

This also confirms that the electrical load was most likely not capable of being noticed in the drivers seat of the MH.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not remember whether the check engine light flashed at the time. For sure, it did not come on steady. I pulled into a parking area and checked out everything. It wasn't until I opened the car door that I realized that something had burnt up in the car. I unplugged the BB from the dedicated cigarette lighter, started up the motorhome and the surging had disappeared. I have since replaced the alternator due to excessive noise. I have driven about 5000 miles since and everything has been fine. I guess I will never know for sure what caused the engine surging. As mentioned previously, I did have to have the BB overhauled at the factory. Thanks to everybody for all the input.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #20

Brake Buddy air pump failure

I had two air compressor pump failures in the Brake Buddy Classic. The pump is simply not designed for repeated braking in high stop and go traffic. The pumps motor oval design causes the permanent magnets to release when hot and jam the armature. The armature material burns and causes the smoke and horrible smell without blowing the inline fuse. That is my opinion. BB will not supply replacement parts and stand by the old statements concerning liability and it must be returned for service. Will I do not accept their argument and researched the BB suppliers. The pump is made by Thomas Ind P/N 115ADC56/12. Must pumps of this type should be mounted with the piston vertical. BB mounts it with the head horizontal thereby transferring heat into the motor. I purchased the Viair 90C pump for $65 and mounted it with the head vertical on a aluminum plate in the same spot as the original pump. Note the Viair pump motor is round and the piston is heat sinked to dissipate more heat. It works, pumps fast and time will tell if reliable.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake Buddy Air Pump Failure

RW Travels,
I was interested in your post regarding the BB pump failure. As noted above in my earlier posts, I have experience the same failure. I did not mention that I had a compressor failure within the first two years of ownership which BB repaired on warranty through the dealership that install my system. The second failure/seizure, describe above, occurred a couple of years later. To their credit, the company rebuilt my unit for $150.00 even though the warranty was long expired. I still have the BB but use it cautiously as I am still concerned about a reoccurrence. I am interested in your solution and would appreciate any follow up on performance. In the meantime, would you have any pictures of your modification that you could post?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not much to add to what has already been said other than I had a circuit board replaced on my old classic last fall. No other problems. Probably 15,000 miles on it.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, compressor