Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Brake Buddy not firm against seat

Just installed my new brake buddy in my Toyota 4runner . To make sure all was working properly I had a volunteer ride in the towed vehicle for a short distance .( I know do not do this but we went to remote area parking lot with no other vehicles around !) . I ran the MH to about 25 mph and applied my brakes . The Brake Buddy pulsated on / off but seemed to push the seat cushion in and out . I could not solve the issue by adjusting the location of the buddy against the seat . Has anyone made a floor board and a back for the buddy to set in and push against ?. Seems I need a firm backdrop for the buddy to push against . Any help is always appreciated .

fatbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Mine pushes hard against the seat cushion too but still is able to apply sufficient pressure to the brake pedal. I would think that making some form of mounting device to maybe hold it in place and give it a hard surface to push against couldn't hurt.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
I made a wood base with a supported back board which the brake unit will push against . I will try it out next weekend . Thanks for the info .

Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Brake Buddy has a device that may solve your problem. It's basically a U shaped piece of aluminum that you position ovet the seat cushion. They sent me one at no charge to use in my 07 Wrangler. However, I have found that a piece of plywood positioned vertically between the front of the seat and the BB works much better.

I cut a notch out of one corner to make the edge of the plywood sit flat on the floor. I have used this setup for over 30,000 miles with no problems.
2012 Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Wrangler Toad
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
I do what ernieh does, plus I put a bungie cord around the BB and hook to the seat. That holds it in one place. Marvh
marvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
First trip with the BB hooked up . Once I made a flat base for the BB to sit on and a vertical back which pressed against the seat all went well . Thanks for all the suggestions .