Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brake Buddy Operational Test

Ok this is probably a no brainer for 99% of you, but since I was in the 1% who hadn't figured it out I thought I'd share.

I had begun suspecting that my Brake Buddy Classic wasn't working. My remote sensor light didn't activate and on a couple of occasions when I needed to do a hard stop I imagined that the toad was pushing on me.

I called BB and they were great. I fully expected that I would need to send the unit in but wanted to make sure it was fully operational before we head through Colorado next month.

Their tech simply had me power the unit up sitting it in the passenger seat of the toad while I drove it to verify that the unit did indeed engage when the brakes were applied. No this didn't take place live while I was on the phone but when he explained the process to me I wanted to crawl into a hole for not having realized it myself! It is an interesting way to get to know how the unit works and how the pressure and sensitivity settings impact the way in engages the brakes on your toad.

BTW, both techs I spoke with at BB were great. They've given me a few things to try to figure out why the light isn't working in the coach and that'll be next.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted. The remote sensor on our BBC has recently started not activating, too. Not always, but enough to have me wondering what's going on. I just hadn't gotten around to calling tech support.

As part of our trip checklist, we do a light check & checking the BB remote sensor is part of that checklist. This last camping trip, the remote lit when tested before we left on the trip, but after, getting ready to leave for home, it wouldn't light when tested. This has happened 2 or 3 times before.

What year is your BBC? We got ours in 2006 when we bought the coach. Wondering if there's an issue with a certain model year?

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lori, our BBC was purchased from my dealer new with my coach in early 2007 so it may be the same vintage.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have had a problem lately with an intermittent light on the remote alert system. My Brake Buddy Classic was bought in 2003.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

BTW, the BB tech told me the most common problem with the remote sensor light is RF interference. I need to contact them again to get specific trouble shooting procedures but while I was testing the BB unit itself I also plugged the sensor into the toad's lighter and it worked ever time when right next to the BB....

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #6

I just bought a BB Classic as of yesterday and on the way home my light in the RV did not work. We did the test before we left the dealer and it worked fine but on the way home it didn't. So I did some reading and sometimes they say the RV might be too long and the signal won't go that far so they have an extension. Here after work I am going to sit in the passenger seat of the toad while my wife drives the RV to see if the BB actually is working or not. I couldn't tell when I drove home from the dealer. I had the pressure setting on #4 and I have a 2004 Jeep Rubicon that should be around 5000 lbs. If it doesn't work while I am in the passenger seat I might turn it up to 5 or 6 to see if that does the trick.

So what did the techs tell you to do exactly????
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhawk View Post
I just bought a BB Classic as of yesterday and on the way home my light in the RV did not work. We did the test before we left the dealer and it worked fine but on the way home it didn't. So I did some reading and sometimes they say the RV might be too long and the signal won't go that far so they have an extension. Here after work I am going to sit in the passenger seat of the toad while my wife drives the RV to see if the BB actually is working or not. I couldn't tell when I drove home from the dealer. I had the pressure setting on #4 and I have a 2004 Jeep Rubicon that should be around 5000 lbs. If it doesn't work while I am in the passenger seat I might turn it up to 5 or 6 to see if that does the trick.

So what did the techs tell you to do exactly????
Welcome to the forum!

So I tested both the operation of the BB AND the light by placing the BB on the passenger seat of the unhooked toad and took it for a drive. I had both the BB and the light plugged into the toad and as I hit the brake I could see them both work. I could also play with the sensitivity settings and see how they impacted the operation.

My light still doesn't work when plugged into the dash of my 40' coach and I need to work on that, but I'm now confident that the BB itself does work. The Tech told me that RF interference is the biggest cause of troubles with the light and there are troubleshooting steps they have but I need to call back and get them. The tech did tell me NOT to put my DW into the hooked up toad to have her check the operation. It's not safe.

BTW, my tire pressure monitoring system for the coach and toad needs an RF repeater which I have in the back part of the coach to ensure I can pick up all of the sensors on the toad.

Good luck.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We purchased a Brake Buddy recently and also had trouble with the alert sensor. I did ride in the car and verify that the Brake Buddy was working, but the alert sensor is an issue because we think it is important. We took it back to the dealer and they finally determined that the overhead fans were causing interference. the alert sensor worked when the fans were off, but didn't when they are on. We moved the sensor to another part of the coach and it worked fine. However, we couldn't see it from our seats so we decided to try another brand of Brake Buddy that has a hard-wired alert light.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Hello all,
Well this is what I did last night and all is well. I got the lights to work cause one of them had come loose so that was an easy fix. As for the light on the alert system I had my wife drive the RV and I rode in the toad. First we started with the sensitivity at 4 and we got nothing. So I turned the sensitivity up to 7 to see if anything woudl happen and it sure did and we got the light on the alert to come on as well. So I turned it down to 6 and it still worked, and once I got to 5 it didn't seem to sense it so I think we will set ours at 6. And our light worked everytime. The dealer just had the sensitivity to low when I drove home so it never came on. My wife and I when we drive it we do not hit our brakes that hard as we coast to most stops, or try to anyway to save our brakes so we were not hitting the brakes hard enough to trigger the BB. The jeep only weights around 4000 lbs so it is not a big load by anymeans. But at least we know that is we have to hit the brakes the BB will work. She said she could feel a slight tug on the RV when it went on but nothing major. And I didn't feel any drag either by the Jeep so I think we have it set.. Good luck to the rest of you.