Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning
Decided to purchase a brake system for toad. What do I purchase? Brake-Buddy or Even-Brake, they are both good. Help me with some in put. Many thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning
Decided to purchase a brake system for toad. What do I purchase? Brake-Buddy or Even-Brake, they are both good. Help me with some in put. Many thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #3

I use an Evenbrake 1st generation and it does what its supposed to do.One thing about these proportional braking systems is when my tranny downshifts in tow mode it kind of screws up toad braking.Its all good in the fact my biggest concern is a runaway toad,so I mainly use it for the break away function and leave the brake on its weakest setting.I tow a lightweight jeep wrangler. I know a few people who use the Brake buddy and they like it.The new generation Evenbrake has digital readouts and seems to be more advanced than my system.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The newest generation of Brake Buddy, called the Advantage has settings so it can operate as a proportional braking system or their standard non proportional braking. Most people that I know are using the systems for the emergency stopping situation or the break away.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We use the Brake Buddy Advantage and it has worked well so far. Easy to set up and easy to change settings if needed. Only thing that I do not like is the manual advised to press the test button each time I turn the engine off and restart during a trip. This purges the system, but it is sort of a pain to do so. Also, the Brake Buddy was causing a fuse to blow in the Saturn toad. I called them and they sent a free kit to fix that problem. Overall, I am pleased with the unit.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the Brake Buddy Vantage. I like the monitor I have mounted on the dash so that I can see when it is operating and also reset the sensitivity from the monitor if necessary.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #7

I use the Even Brake by Roadmaster. It was easy to install and works very well. If you are shopping for a good price, I found the best deal at www.rvexit.com
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just bought a BrakeBuddy Advantage Select.
I like the ability to adjust the braking type and sensitivity from the MH. So far the 2way radio link between the MH and dingy has been rock solid.