Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake Buddy Problem

I bought a 2nd hand, unused all in sealed packages Brake Buddy Classic. (Tan color). It worked great the first 3 times I used it. Now when I plug it in the compressor keeps running. It builds up pressure to at least 60 lbs but won't turn off. When I unplug it it drops rapidly to 40 lbs then 20 and quickly to zero.
I may have to send it to Brake Buddy but has anyone taken the case apart and been able to fix it themselves?
It's not the battery as is in trouble shooting section of the book. Tried it with 2 different batteries and with the engine running and 14 volts.
Thanks for sharing any info u have learned about the BB.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine did the same thing. I Tried a few things, but wound up sending it to BB, after discussing it with them. Cost me about $75.00 for the repairs, but it works great now.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you know if they had to replace parts? I was hoping that maybe I had a loose air line inside that just needed tightening. For as much as they get for these, and it's not a cheap throw away, they could at least give us a parts diagram and a troubleshooting page that didn't just say what I must be doing wrong.
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, the pressure regulator part, had a leak and was replaced. That's why I was charged about $75.00. When they called me, they asked for a credit card #, and they would go ahead and fix it.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, this is no reflection on you. If your bb is brand new then it's unlikely that it's broken. Do you have the 'breakaway' plugs inserted into the receptacles on the unit? It is so easy to overlook this (I used mine for 9 years) and if you miss this little connection the compressor will not turn off.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took mine apart and air kept coming out of the bottom of the pressure regulator also, unless I turned the pressure to zero.
The break away cables were connected but I don't think they are necessary to be plugged into the unit for it to otherwise work.
Why do you think they need to be connected? I believe I tested mine without them connected when I first got it and retested the break away function. When I called BB, they never mentioned the breakaway cables.
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the breakaway connectors are not inserted then the bb "thinks" there has been a breakaway and triggers the compressor to provide sustained braking to the tow'd? That's how mine and my friend's worked. If you hook up the bb, set it up properly including full air pressure and breakaway connected, then "pull the pin" on the breakaway, the brakes should come on. I forgot to plug my connectors in the odd time and the compressor would not stop until I did. I now use a brand new Blue Ox Patriot and, with this set up, you have to make sure the breakaway pin is inserted before you even turn the unit on or it won't setup properly. Have you tried my suggestion by the way?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached
Ok, this is no reflection on you. If your bb is brand new then it's unlikely that it's broken. Do you have the 'breakaway' plugs inserted into the receptacles on the unit? It is so easy to overlook this (I used mine for 9 years) and if you miss this little connection the compressor will not turn off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached
Coached, I wish you were with me when BB called and said they fixed it and it would be $180.
I thought I got a good deal getting it for $250, now I've got close to $480 in it.
Denver, Colorado