Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

brake buddy problems

Brake buddy all installed and hooked up to motorshome. Everything okay until we wanted to check the motorhome and brake buddy response. Started MH, stepped on brake and put MH in reverse, steppped on brake several times and no response from brake buddy. Does the MH need to be moving for the Brake buddy to work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, I believe you have to be moving forward and then stop (decelerate) There is an inertia sensor in BB that senses slowing down, that engages brake.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
BRake buddy ?

My brake buddy manual says the RV needs to be moving at least 15 miles per hour before the unit will engage. Of course there must be some forward movement so that the unit will sense the need to brake. Really a good system for a little less dollars than some. hope this helps...glenb 2005 38N fleetwood expedition
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Going in reverse and braking is telling the brake buddy not to apply the brakes. The forward motion and the force of stopping activates the brake buddy, when you stop abruptly your body goes forward thats why you wear seat belts the same theory works the brake buddy but you can adjust the sensitivity so is does not activate with only light braking.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmbjd View Post
Brake buddy all installed and hooked up to motorshome. Everything okay until we wanted to check the motorhome and brake buddy response. Started MH, stepped on brake and put MH in reverse, steppped on brake several times and no response from brake buddy. Does the MH need to be moving for the Brake buddy to work?
Remember it is supplementary braking. A real test will be say at 50 and apply your bakes quickly and you should see your receiver lights come on. Another test would be on descent. If you come to a stop gradually you may not get an indication. Set the sensitivity to what your comfortable with.

Welcome to the forum.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Going in reverse and braking is telling the brake buddy not to apply the brakes.
When I purchased my towbar the dealer told me never to back up. shrugs, that was 9 years ago and I have never backed up with the toad. Was that correct information or what? When ever we back up which is hardly ever, I disconnect the toad. I have a sterling.

Is that right?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you have to be moving forward at more than 15 mph and then apply the brakes smartly for the Brakebuddy to activate. It only brakes when it needs to. On my rig, Thor ACE pulling a Honda FIT (2650 pounds), the BB is set at 40 psi, sensitivity 9 and always proportional braking. On odd thing I've noticed on the wireless remote: I have the 12v cable installed, no battery in the remote, so the on/off switch doesn't do anything. When I take off in the morning, I have to push a button (any button) on the remote before it starts indicating braking action. I usually switch it from proportional to full and back again as part of my checklist.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
When I purchased my towbar the dealer told me never to back up. shrugs, that was 9 years ago and I have never backed up with the toad. Was that correct information or what? When ever we back up which is hardly ever, I disconnect the toad. I have a sterling.

Is that right?
Yeah, I think some of the wording has been a little ambiguous but I think the OP is indicating that the BB was actually riding in the MH when he backed up and applied the brakes the toad wasn't attached. At least I HOPE that's what was going on. Do Not back up when a toad is attached four down.

It's actually easy to test your BB this way. Just put it on the passenger seat... drive >15 mph and apply the brakes firmly. The BB should extend the push rod.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post

Is that right?
As to your question: Yes, not a good plan to back up with a toad unless you have zero option (been there once, bad plan but zero choice). Tow bars are set up to do just that. Backing up, odds on that you'll 'jack-knife' within a couple of feet.

Fred

Tags
brake