Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Good day Fellow RVers.
On my trip back home, when setting up my classic Brake Buddy, I noticed that the brakes on my Chevy Captiva went to the floor. Since I was only two nights away from home, I decided to just pull the toad since I was traveling mainly flat interstate roads. I noticed that a pool of brake fluid was puddled around the front right side tire, when I parked it in my garage. I jacked up the car and removed the wheel. I noticed brake fluid on the brake caliper. Since the car had only 24K miles on it and still under GM warranty, I took it into the local Chevy dealer where i purchased it. I got a call back later and was told "Your tow package ruined the all the brakes. You need new brake shoes, new rotors, a caliper, and brake hose, "to the tune of over $1,000 for repairs". I pulled this vehicle from Illinois to Florida, plus an additional 6K miles around Florida last year. This year, I pulled the toad to Apache Junction, Yuma, Tucson, and then onto Port Aransis, Texas, having no problems. If anything, I did not notice any pulling nor "brake smoke" on the final leg of my homeward bound journey.
I have seen Brake Buddy failures on the blog (i.e. not working), but not heard of a Brake Buddy ruining brakes? Have anyone experienced a Brake Buddy ruining brakes on their toad?

Regards
Mark S.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4317, ISL 425HP. 2014 Chevy Captiva

I have a classic brake buddy, on our to Alaska going up and down the Mountains I had the bright idea to finely tune brake buddy to help going down hill. I swear it was still loose when we set it. By the time we hit Valdieze we had spongy brakes. Had to take it to White Horse. To get it checked. Shoes calapiers and drum turn and $1800.00 later we were brakin again. Know more fine tuning and I don't use it unless I feel I have to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Everybody has horror stories about something. These stories abou supplemental brake systems have delayed my going from a dolly to 4-down.

If it makes you feel better, I've had my Brake Buddy for 8 years now. Have used it on my Saturn VUE, and now on my Jeep Wrangler. I've never had a problem.

Of course I keep the sensitivity adjusted to where it only engages under extreme braking. I have the wireless indicator in the cockpit, and it rarely lights up.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I use my settings the exact same way. I did use a mall parking lot and tested mine to make sure while doing a sudden stop the brake worked and it did. As such I have my setting such that it works when needed. I have the brake buddy vantage and after 4 thousand miles it is working perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
I had a Brake Buddy destroy the brakes on my Honda Accord, $800 repair bill.

A member of the nighthawk?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 AM   #19

Brake Buddy Ruined Brakes

Original Brake Buddy, 16 years old, never varied from the default sensitivity, over 80K miles without a flaw. And my TPMS would alert me to any problems.
The BB works only on inertia. It cannot trigger itself. Unit placement must be the answer

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
ADA

Winnebago Owners Club
Use Styrofoam to stabilize Brake Buddy

I had a similar situation where the TPMS signaled high temps on the toad tires after 3 or 4 miles on the highway. I pulled over and checked, finding the tires themselves cool but the rims too hot to touch. It was obvious the brakes had been partially applied since departure.

Looking inside, the Brake Buddy unit was angled to one side (not perpendicular to the seat). Somehow, after testing the unit before departure, it got displaced just enough to engage the brakes.

The solution for me was to buy a couple of Styrofoam blocks (from a craft store) and place one on each side of the BB to keep it properly aligned.

The TPMS paid for itself several times by alerting me to what would have been a very expensive repair. I did not have the BB remote monitor on in the cab because its signal interferes with the TPMS signal. I need to try different dip switch settings in the transmitter and receiver to see if I can solve that.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Can you post a diagram of how your is wired? I have been thinking about hooking up a led on my dash to the brake switch on the brake pedal. I have yet to see the wireless part of my RVi brake fail so maybe I just being paranoid.
I have the Ready Brake on mine, but was concerned about the brakes being activated without me knowing. I bought this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...RM-751422.html

and this:

RoadMaster Replacement LED Display Monitor for BrakeMaster Systems Roadmaster Accessories and Parts RM-300065-00

I ran the positive from the battery to the brake witch. Then ran the green all the way to the dash on the MH and mounted the LED. Then grounded the other wire to the frame. I did this last weekend and did a short test in the driveway and all worked well. Got a 3 hour trip planned next weekend, so I'll see how it works then.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
A member of the nighthawk?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ

Yes
Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I have the Ready Brake on mine, but was concerned about the brakes being activated without me knowing. I bought this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...RM-751422.html

and this:

RoadMaster Replacement LED Display Monitor for BrakeMaster Systems Roadmaster Accessories and Parts RM-300065-00

I ran the positive from the battery to the brake witch. Then ran the green all the way to the dash on the MH and mounted the LED. Then grounded the other wire to the frame. I did this last weekend and did a short test in the driveway and all worked well. Got a 3 hour trip planned next weekend, so I'll see how it works then.
That's a great idea, but do you need to add the switch? Seems like you could tie into the toad's break light wiring. Maybe this is better for newer LED break lights on a lot of toads.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
That's a great idea, but do you need to add the switch? Seems like you could tie into the toad's break light wiring. Maybe this is better for newer LED break lights on a lot of toads.
I couldn't tie into the existing brake switch because I can't have any power to the car. Ford requires the negative side of the battery be disconnected on the Ford Focus. I couldn't figure out how to use the existing switch without the possibility of putting power into the cars electrical system.

I had to run a complete separate brake lighting system rather than tie into the existing one for just the same reason.

There are also LED brake notification systems similar to what I installed if you can use if you can still have power in the car.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #25

As someone else asked, we would all be interested in learning what pressure (psi) and sensitivity (1-7) settings you were using.

When I first bought my Brake Buddy, I had it plugged in and resting on the passenger floor beside me as I drove the car around town for several days. This gave me a good idea of how it worked and a basis for choosing my settings. At the highest sensitivity setting, just taking my foot off the accelerator would set it off.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I flat-spotted a brand new set of Michelins on my Saturn Vue due to the Brake Buddy locking up the tires and being dragged to a screeching halt. Problem was that when I had the exhaust brake engaged, if I stepped on the brake to slow and the exhaust brake downshifted at the same time, that is all it took to fully engage the Brake Buddy. It didn't take long to replace that disaster with an Air Force One system.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #27

I do not like the way the brake buddy can move around so I built a plywood base that I sit on the floor which backs against the seat frame and not the seat. There is a velcro strap that secures the brake buddy to the base. This works very well and puts my mind at ease while travelling down the road.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
I do not like the way the brake buddy can move around so I built a plywood base that I sit on the floor which backs against the seat frame and not the seat. There is a velcro strap that secures the brake buddy to the base. This works very well and puts my mind at ease while travelling down the road.
That's one of the things I like about the RVI Brake. It doesn't touch the seat, but uses the lip of the seat pan to push against.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes