Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
We are just now considering a toad. Could you post pictures of your modifications to the Bake Buddy to hold it in place? Makes me nervous!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #30

Hello RV'er - I want to thank all for the comments and inputs on this subject. I had set the sensitivity on 4, with a pressure of 55. I always used the "test button" as a final step. It seemed to work fine based upon this. I always adjusted the handle to hit the seat squarely. Maybe it was a case of jumping around and not being secure enough?? When parked, the BB was in its proper position. Being mechanically and electrically inclined, along with doing many brake jobs, plus being back in my home garage, I had the vehicle towed back from the Chevy dealer to do the job my self. All brake parts, along with some nice rebates cost me $300, versus the $1600 quoted by the local dealer. I am planning to further "test" the BB when the vehicle is done, by using some of the great suggestions by you all. Thanks a bunch!

Regards
Mark S.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4317, ISL 424HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #31
YC1

This sounds like a good case for a brake engaged indicator. Hmm. A simple light placed on the dash of the toad. I have an indicator on my dash and if I didn't I would have ruined my Ford Edge brakes several times using the Invisibrake.
A magnetic light on the top and back edge of the toad could be used and would be easy to plug into the toad rear lights.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #32

Brake Buddy Ruined Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
I had set the sensitivity on 4, with a pressure of 55.

The 55psi seems high. The chart on the BB is for the average vehicle of the specified weight. The classic BB is not proportional. It is all or nothing. If the non-powered brakes in your vehicle are particularly efficient, it would be slamming on the brakes and being dragged forward by the MH every time the BB's accelerometer triggers.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
The 55psi seems high. The chart on the BB is for the average vehicle of the specified weight. The classic BB is not proportional. It is all or nothing. If the non-powered brakes in your vehicle are particularly efficient, it would be slamming on the brakes and being dragged forward by the MH every time the BB's accelerometer triggers.

Naw!
I have always used level 4 (default) and 55 psi. BB knew what they were doing. It's perfect! Has been for 3 coaches, 2 toads. It simply works

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Naw!
I have always used level 4 (default) and 55 psi. BB knew what they were doing. It's perfect! Has been for 3 coaches, 2 toads. It simply works

My point is that not all vehicles have the same mechanical efficiency when operating a dead brake pedal.

"It simply works" contradicts the OP's basic premise. But since you bring it up, how do you know that it is working? Does the fact that it has always worked imply that it always will? Several people posting here would probably answer "No".
Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #35

I use the ReadyBrake. On a trip, hooking up at the campground, I caught the connection on the towbar (absolutely my own fault) and the result was as I began my tow the brake applied and remained engaged. My tire monitor system started screaming with a few miles. I got out and saw the smoke and smell from the brakes. Luckily, the brake damage was minor, and I only required brake service when I got home later in the trip. I should have double checked the connection, something I try to do, and I am thankful for my investment in a tire monitor system with temp monitoring.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #36

Quote:
My point is that not all vehicles have the same mechanical efficiency when operating a dead brake pedal.

"It simply works" contradicts the OP's basic premise. But since you bring it up, how do you know that it is working? Does the fact that it has always worked imply that it always will? Several people posting here would probably answer "No".

I have the "active" sensor light on my dash and can feel the pull.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #37

Burned out the brakes on my CRV with the Brake Buddy, but in all fairness, I don't blame the Brake Buddy. The cable attaching the MH to the disconnect pin apparently was too short during a sharp turn and the pin was pulled activating the brakes. I never realized it until I stopped for gas 50 miles down the road. Now, I don't attach that device. I lock the hitch on my Roadmaster tow bar, so there's little chance of it coming unhitched
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have the "active" sensor light on my dash and can feel the pull

Does the light coming on indicate that the BB is working or simply that the accelerometer has triggered and the hardware has been instructed to "give it a try", whether it is functional or not?
If you can feel a tug from the toad, it suggests you are doing exactly what I am describing. You are asking the tiny car with its tiny brakes and tires to help stop the big bus. The bus is effectively dragging the car down the road with its brakes engaged. This is hard on the brakes and tires. The objective of the toad brake is only to stop the toad so the bus brakes don't have to deal with the additional load. In the case of a semi or car+trailer it also prevents the trailer from trying to pass the tow vehicle in a rapid deceleration.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
I had about 30K miles towing my Acura MDX without trouble .... Until there was. I use a Roadmaster EvenBrake but it is very similar to the Brake Buddy.

I was traveling from Carlsbad to Temecula so not a long trip. I didn't notice anything with the braking unit when I disconnected. Took the Toad out for dinner and noticed the brakes were soft and wobbly. Back home, found out the rotors were warped, the caliper boots were melted and pads shot. Apparently, I had not installed it correctly this one time and it "feathered" the brakes for the 100 or so miles. It is important to double check placement of the unit. Perhaps I had locked the car and then unlocked it using the FOB which causes the automatic seat to adjust back to drive position. Maybe I never adjusted the seat to the brake position. Maybe I just forgot to check my clearance. I will never know but it cost me $$$. Ahhh, the RV lifestyle. All as been well since.

On another note, I experienced the brake unit bouncing around and coming out of place the first long trip I used it. I solved this by adding bungee cords to the rear handle and securing to the seat frame. It has never moved since.

Are you towing your MDX 4 wheels down? Didn't know you could. Do you have to do anything special to MDX or is it similar to towing the Honda CRV?

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Does the light coming on indicate that the BB is working or simply that the accelerometer has triggered and the hardware has been instructed to "give it a try", whether it is functional or not?
If you can feel a tug from the toad, it suggests you are doing exactly what I am describing. You are asking the tiny car with its tiny brakes and tires to help stop the big bus. The bus is effectively dragging the car down the road with its brakes engaged. This is hard on the brakes and tires. The objective of the toad brake is only to stop the toad so the bus brakes don't have to deal with the additional load. In the case of a semi or car+trailer it also prevents the trailer from trying to pass the tow vehicle in a rapid deceleration.

All I know is the light comes on and the tug has a 1/10th second delay. I also would notice a power drop if it was constantly applied, and that there is a little girl on a bicycle that is not dead because I can stop much earlier than just the coach alone.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #41

Quote:

TwelveVolt, I'm kind of at a loss as to what you would take as proof that the Brake Buddy is working! Several people had posted pretty positive indications that theirs is working properly, "feel a pull" "indicator light on dash illuminates", driving their car with the brake buddy in the passenger seat in order to observe the responses of the brake buddy to deceleration, etc, and apparently nothing is capable of convincing you that they work!

The people on here that have had problems seem to attribute their problems to improper placement of the brake buddy, or incorrect sensitivity or gain on the adjustment of the Brake Buddy, incorrect length of cable for the breakaway, or placement of wiring in the case of another brake system, etc. For the most part, it appears that people are pretty happy with their systems.

Perhaps the solution for you is to just eliminate all the mechanical aspects, have someone else drive the coach, and you can sit in the toad while it is being pulled and apply the brakes to the toad manually every time you feel it is necessary! That will ensure that they never apply when not needed, and that they will never cause damage to your brakes! . . . . . but maybe I'm overthinking all of this! Could there perhaps be a law against riding in the toad for thousands of miles?!? No, probably not!

Bottom line, Brake Buddy works for me, Works for countless other people out there for many years and many thousands of miles, as do other braking systems! Use what works for you, use the forum to help you decide what is best for you, and use the forum for advice of how to fine tune whatever you purchase to work better and get out there and travel!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #42

I've used the original Brake Buddy for over years. It's been in 4 different vehicles of mine. I like it because it's transportable from vehicle to vehicle. It's a very simple box. There's little that can go wrong.

But I have to put the Brake Buddy in and remove it every time. It's not a permanent installation. I have to be very careful to install it correctly every time and to make sure my power brakes have been pushed several times so they are no longer power. There's more of the human element using the Brake Buddy then some other systems.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes