Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #43
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
We are just now considering a toad. Could you post pictures of your modifications to the Bake Buddy to hold it in place? Makes me nervous!
Here are some pictures of the plywood base I made for my Brake Buddy. It would be slightly different for the various vehicles but you can see the idea. The Brake Buddy pushes against the support which is against the seat frame so there is no lost motion. The Velcro strap fastens the Brake Buddy to the frame. It takes no time to sit on the floor before putting the Brake Buddy in and when not in use it does not take up any extra space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160423_105658.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	691.6 KB
ID:	125096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160423_105743.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	125097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160423_110352.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	125098  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2005 Newmar Kountry Star DP
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #44
Brake Buddy Ruined Brakes

Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
TwelveVolt, I'm kind of at a loss as to what you would take as proof that the Brake Buddy is working! Several people had posted pretty positive indications that theirs is working properly, "feel a pull" "indicator light on dash illuminates", driving their car with the brake buddy in the passenger seat in order to observe the responses of the brake buddy to deceleration, etc, and apparently nothing is capable of convincing you that they work!

The people on here that have had problems seem to attribute their problems to improper placement of the brake buddy, or incorrect sensitivity or gain on the adjustment of the Brake Buddy, incorrect length of cable for the breakaway, or placement of wiring in the case of another brake system, etc. For the most part, it appears that people are pretty happy with their systems.

Perhaps the solution for you is to just eliminate all the mechanical aspects, have someone else drive the coach, and you can sit in the toad while it is being pulled and apply the brakes to the toad manually every time you feel it is necessary! That will ensure that they never apply when not needed, and that they will never cause damage to your brakes! . . . . . but maybe I'm overthinking all of this! Could there perhaps be a law against riding in the toad for thousands of miles?!? No, probably not!

Bottom line, Brake Buddy works for me, Works for countless other people out there for many years and many thousands of miles, as do other braking systems! Use what works for you, use the forum to help you decide what is best for you, and use the forum for advice of how to fine tune whatever you purchase to work better and get out there and travel!

Dear Brake Buddy dealer or manufacturer;
We all thank you for your marketing input and amusing silly suggestions.
My point is that the indicator light should turn on to indicate that the piston has extended and there is adequate air pressure pushing it. This would define "working". The Brake Buddy and similar products I have opened up have no such feedback hardware. The light indicates that a signal has been sent in the hope that all the downstream hardware (valve, air tubes, fittings, etc.) are functional. Also, there is no diagnostic feedback to explicitly notify the user of a component failure, such as a runaway compressor that is trying to start a fire. The choice is to build it right or to build it cheap.
Thank you for highlighting this point.

TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #45

Brake Buddy Ruined Brakes

After 16 years of flawless operation and zero issues.....on a 3200 lb car and a 4500 lb Wrangler....on the 3rd MH and still going....at default settings of 4 and 55lbs....and it saved a life....BB is absolutely great!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #46

Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Dear Brake Buddy dealer or manufacturer;
We all thank you for your marketing input and amusing silly suggestions.
That's just SO funny! I absolutely WISH I worked for Brake Buddy! Then I'd have a 2nd income, or rather third, since I draw Military Retirement from flying helicopters for 20+ years and now work full time creating sculptures out of metal. Wish I had time for another full time job as well, well, maybe not. . .

On supplemental braking systems, whether Brake Buddy, Air Force One, or Roadmaster, whatever, empirical evidence as stated above suggests (doesn't definitively prove) that Brake Buddy and other systems WORK when properly installed, and set for the individual characteristics of the system it is installed in. (Hint: You may have to read and follow the directions!) That's good enough for me, and many other people. If you contact all the supplemental brake manufacturers out there, I'm sure that they can give you more information on their products. I would love to help you more on the Brake Buddy, but I can't seem to find the payroll checks they keep promising to send me, and my bat phone doesn't have their sales department on speed dial any more!

Research, research, research, and test, then use what works for you! When you purchase that Brake Buddy, don't forget to send me my commission check please.

Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, brakes