Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Brake Buddy Vantage Question

We have a 2000 36' Bounder. We tow a Chevy Cobalt. We are considering installing a Brake Buddy Vantage Select to help. Would appreciate any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaandus View Post
We have a 2000 36' Bounder. We tow a Chevy Cobalt. We are considering installing a Brake Buddy Vantage Select to help. Would appreciate any input.
We've had Vantage for almost two years and 18k
of travel. Toad is Wrangler. Never a problem. Takes a minute to place. Another minute for pump fill and self test and a minute to take out on arrival. Good product. AdventureRv had best deal when we bought.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use mine (digital classic) everytime I tow my car. I got it used and sent it to brakebuddy to get it fixed. They fixed it for nothing and send it back for only the price of the shipping. The first time I used it I believe it save the life of a bad driver who pulled out it front of my RV. Very happy customer.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I am in the process of deciding which brake system to buy and, while the Brake Buddy is one consideratio, I haven't seen anyone explain how it can be effective if the engine in the toad isn't running to create vacuum for the power brakes? Have you ever tried to apply the brakes in your vehicle without the engine running? In most vehicles you have to stand on the pedal to get any kind of reaction. How effective is the brake buddy without the vacuum assist? It must be effective but can someone comment on their experience in regard to this concern? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
It is designed to work without any vacuum assist, in fact you are instructed to "bleed" your existing - residual - vacuum in your system before using the Brake Buddy as it is designed to work without any vacuum assist. If you don't bleed out the residual vacuum your brakes will lock up and you will "tear" up your tires and or brake rotors.
It creates its own air pressure via a onboard air pump.
To "Bleed" the vacuum out - you just activate an automatic "test" on the newer ones or activate the test button 3-4 times on the old model.
Simple to use if you do it correctly. Read the instructions.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
JCM. OK, thank you. That all makes sense and I most certainly will read the instructions IF this is the unit I ultimately purchase. However, I also didn't realize that there is an on board air pump. Is this intended to provide power and activation strength to the Brake Buddy push rod that gets connected to the brake pedal? Or, is it a pump that creates a vacuum that gets connected to the toad's on board vacuum system? I'm thinking it is probably for the brake pedal activation rod but look forward to learning more. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
It is designed to activate the push rod and it is compensated to push against a "dead" brake so if there is any vacuum left in the car system there will be a brake lock up.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you. That all makes perfect sense and I appreciate the detailed info.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #9

BrakeBuddy Advantage Select

I have one for sale in the classified section. It's almost new if anyone is interested.

John
jjwalkers26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
I see a difference between your question and your signature line , new coach ? DP ?
If it is a new to you coach and a DP with engine brake , you HAVE to know if your brake lights come on with the engine brake. If your M/H brake lights do come on every time you use the engine brake and your toad brakes come on with the brake lights .. well toad brakes won't last long.
This is a problem I'm having with choosing a toad brake system for my F/L chassis.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

OK , just back from their web site, they're one of the better makes , I'll add to my check them out list.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #12

Brake Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I see a difference between your question and your signature line , new coach ? DP ?
If it is a new to you coach and a DP with engine brake , you HAVE to know if your brake lights come on with the engine brake. If your M/H brake lights do come on every time you use the engine brake and your toad brakes come on with the brake lights .. well toad brakes won't last long.
This is a problem I'm having with choosing a toad brake system for my F/L chassis.
The Brake Buddy doesn't care if the brake lights come on when the coach brakes are activated or the engine brake is used. That usually only applies to say an invisibrake or SMI. At least on new Tiffin DP's, the engine brake
doesn't activate the brake lights when used. They changed that back when.
I assume other makers have done the same. The invisibrake and SMI work off the 12volt current coming off the MH and the BrakeBuddy doesn't work that way. Hope this helps.

John
Old 05-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #13

BrakeBuddy Advantage Select

Quote:
Before I changed to a Chev Sonic, I used a BrakeBuddy on a 2010 Chev Cobalt. Worked great. Great car to Flat tow. I bought the Sonic because it was better equipted.

John

The newer BrakeBuddy Advantage Select like the one I am selling, has to be bleed once installed, but it only requires that you push the botton once and it activates 5 times to set the vaccum. That's it
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

The question was for our dad. We still have the same MH. He so appreciates all of the comments, as do I.

Tags
brake