Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
As far as I can tell the only obvious differences are:
1) The Even Brake has proportional braking.
2) The Even Brake has a metal air cylinder (I guess the implication is that the Brake Buddy does not.)
2) With the Brake Buddy you can change the braking sensitivity remotely.
Anybody have any experiences they would like to relate with either? Any comments?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
As far as I can tell the only obvious differences are:
1) The Even Brake has proportional braking.
2) The Even Brake has a metal air cylinder (I guess the implication is that the Brake Buddy does not.)
2) With the Brake Buddy you can change the braking sensitivity remotely.
Anybody have any experiences they would like to relate with either? Any comments?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #3

Good question, I just picked up my MDX with the Even Brake and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Looking forward to other's opinions of the Even Brake system (I had read several unfavorable opinions of the Brake Buddy, which is why we chose Even Brake).
Old 07-25-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe you should first decide on proportional braking or non proportional braking.

I chose non proportional braking because I do not want my toad's brakes to be applied every time I use my MH's brakes.

I have my Brake Buddy set up to apply my toad's brakes only on hard braking or emergency stops by my MH.

I just don't see the need for the wear and tear on the toad brakes on every brake application of the MH

Between the Jake brake and the MH brakes, I've had no problems in stopping.

I don't believe the Brake Buddy is any more trouble prone than any other supplemental braking system. The Brake Buddy continues to be the most popular system sold.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dirk,

Thats an excellent point you make, one I had not thought of. I guess, sometime you get caught up in all the hyped up advertising and forget that sometimes simpler is better.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #6

I tried to set up the even brake on my coach and if I remember correctly it required a little splicing into the brake circuit. Never could get it to preform consistantly. Took it back to camping world and got my money back. Installed a Brake Buddy--no problems since.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One or more of the proportional system manufacturers claim proportional is better because tractor trailers have proportional braking.

While tractor trailers do have proportional braking, in that application, the trailer weighs far more than the tractor, and proportional braking is required.

In motorhome application the "trailer" (toad) usually weighs far less than the motorhome, and the comparison is apples to oranges. If I had a smaller motorhome with a heavy toad, I would have to consider proportional braking.

Many times motorhome applications are compared to aircraft because aircraft use synthetic oil or aircraft use nitrogen in their tires, or Nascar uses nitrogen in their tires, or truckers let their engines idle for hours.

Just because something is best in another application, doesn't mean it's beneficial in motorhoming.

However, so much in life is personal preference, so we able to go with whatever we are comfortable with.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #8

i love my brake buddy
Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I chose non proportional braking because I do not want my toad's brakes to be applied every time I use my MH's brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Braking sensitivity is adjustable on my Even Brake.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #10

I don't have either one, but I agree with the fact that I don't want my toad brakes applied every time I stop. Only if I need to stop quicker than normal. That's the way my TowBrake is set up.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Upcoming technology update.

For the roughly the price of either one of these autonomous systems that require user insertion and removal the SMI Stay-In-Play may soon be installed under the hood. It will be both out of sight and out of mind until you need to use the system.

SMI currently hides the Air Force One under the hood and it's basically invisible to the driver until you turn it on.

Armed by stepping on the brake pedal and activating the brake lamps, the fully proportional SMI unit will take auxilliary braking ownership to the next level.

Call Peter, Michael or Brent at SMI Manufacturing for all the details about Air Force 1 and the current Stay-In-Play Auxilliary Braking System.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like the idea of a permanently mounted supplemental brake system, but my GMC has Hydro boost brakes instead of vacuum assist, so none of those systems will work for me.

Also, I believe all of the permanent systems are proportional.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Both the SMI Stay-IN-Play and Air Force One work well with hydra-boost braking systems. We have numerous "hydra-boost" customers that have switched to SMI after over-braking and damaging their towed vehicle with another system. One of these is the co-owner of this site, Bob Gregory (rebelsbeach), who is towing a Hummer H3 with an Air Force One braking system.

Brent Schuck
Demco Manufacturing, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Both the SMI Stay-IN-Play and Air Force One work well with hydra-boost braking systems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brent, how does either SMI system supply the "boost", and can either system be adjusted to provide non proportional braking?