Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
I have had no problems with it on steep downhills. I use the tow/haul on my E450 which downshifts using engine braking. The only time the RV2 engages is when I apply the brakes for a stop. Another great feature is the ability to adjust the unit from inside the motor home. In heavy stop and go traffic I will put the sensitive to high. You always have the crazies that like to sneak into your safe distance. On highways/interstates I will set it to med or even low. In a panic stop it overrides the setting, applying the brakes. By the way, the unit is warrantied for 3 years and they have great customer service. My antenna connection broke. Called in the evening, talked to one of the owners. Emailed me a FedEx label. Picked it up the next day, had it back within a week.
I think I am sold. The thought of not having to cut into the vacuum hoses and other invasive procedures make this very appealing. BTW, I found out today that my new rig already has 12V charging activated at the plug so half of the work is already done.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
RVI Brake has the RVI2 on sale, almost as cheap as i could fnd it anywhere on the net. I would much rather buy it direct if I'm not paying a premium, so I went ahead and bought one, with the case and tow charging kit. I was pretty sold on it before, and then got some 1st hand info on how well they support their product.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #17

Brake Buddy vs RV2

RVI brake cannot keep communication with the console as sold, I can't imagine using the tpms setup and feeling secure that I wouldn't be traveling on low tires.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #18

My coach activates the brake lights anytime the exhaust brake is being used. Anyone have problems with the iRV brake coming down long grades with the exhaust brake on?

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
My coach activates the brake lights anytime the exhaust brake is being used. Anyone have problems with the iRV brake coming down long grades with the exhaust brake on?

No, the inertia of the exhaust brake is not enough to activate the toad's brakes. Maybe if you had all the settings at their highest sensitivity. However, the coaches brake lights are supposedly activated during exhaust braking, and that shoud activate the toads' brake lights. I can't verify this since I have never followed my rig to see.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post

Since the RVi brake unit is self contained with no connection to the towing vehicle it doesn't care if your brake lights are on or off. It is controlled by deceleration. If the RVi unit was set for maximum sensitivity and your exhaust brake was very aggressive it might get activated but doubtful.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #21

Thanks because that looks like the way I will go. We are pulling a Fiat 500L and not many choices for this model. Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgagehomes View Post
RVI brake cannot keep communication with the console as sold, I can't imagine using the tpms setup and feeling secure that I wouldn't be traveling on low tires.
I don't know how old your RVI unit is, but I had a problem with my first one not communicating. On our first 400 mile trip with it, I had communication maybe 50 miles. I contacted their customer service and they had me send it back. They could not replicate the problem, but sent me a brand new unit as a replacement. We just completed an 800 mile trip last weekend and it never once lost communication that I know of.

I would contact their customer service with your concern, they are first rate in customer relations.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #23

I had a similar problem with my BB in my Explorer. I made a plywood support that sat on the floor butted against the seat track. Attached to the bottom is a vertical piece in front of the seat that the brake BB pushes against. I have fixed a Velcro strap that goes around the handle to hold everything secure. There is virtually no movement at all and it only takes seconds to sit the support on the floor before installing the BB.

Tags
brake