Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Brake Buddy vs RV2

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer and tried to use a brake buddy for supplemental brake. I hooked it up according to instructions but is would not stay in place, after cycling through a couple of stops it would work itself loss and push to the right and fall on it side continue ran the cycle until it would it ran the battery down. The set up between the brake pedal, the brake buddy and the seat was correct as you have to position where it fits with contact with the brake pedal, the front of drivers seat. I even added a board to cover the entire drivers seat to prevent the brake buddy from moving around and disconnecting and falling on it's side. Now I was looking at the RV2 (same makers of Brake Buddy) and feeling it was a repackaging of the Brake Buddy? I would really like to buy something that work properly and be able to remove like brake Buddy or RV2. The other supplemental brake system are too expense for me to pay 2500.00 for SMI air brake connection. Any recommendations would help.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads on supplemental braking systems that may be of interest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Supp...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might look into the RVi-2 system. It is similar in usage but it does not push on the seat, it uses the well in the floor or the seat mount as the backup.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

Dont give up!

If your seat is not forward far enough the BB will get loose. Move it up close per the instructions.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/pic/instru...ssic_instr.pdf

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Support/Installation-Manuals

I have 14 years on a BB with no issues.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #5

I'm also a long time BB user. If I was starting fresh I would most likely go with the RVI2.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The RVi brake was developed by the original inventor of the Brake Buddy. Other than sharing a common inventor, there is no connection between the two companies or the designs.

The RVi brake is designed to sit flat on the floor in the floor pan. If you don't have a floor pan, RVi will supply you with a backstop that bolts to the seat frame and creates one. It's tough to get it to fall over when it is only about 3" tall. It's also very light so it is much easier to position and remove.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maxwell, I use the RVi brake. I can't speak to the RVi2, but I understand the only difference is an integral TPMS on the RVi2.

At any rate, the RVi brake will not tip over. It sits flat, light weight, easy setup and removal. I've been using mine for two years now, and I'm quite pleased.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I've used both systems and I had similar issues with the BB. Hands down, the RVI Brake2 is the way to go!! I tow a CRV so I had to install the "seat brace" which RVI supplied at no additional charge. The brace took ~ 2 minutes to install! When preparing to tow, You drop the package onto the floor near the brake pedal. Attach the clevis to the pedal and then push the package aft until it touches the seat brace. Plug it in and cycle the piston 3 times which a.) seats the package against the brace and b.) depletes the vehicles vacuum. That's essentially it and it stays put!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am liking what I hear about the RVI2. For those of you that use these portables, do you pull a fuse on the tail lights and let the coach supply the 12V for the tailli and brake lights? If so, did you splice into the wiring using diodes? Thanks for any insight.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #10

RVi2 is the way to go. Exceptional customer service.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
What about the brake lights, turn signals, and tail lights. Also do you have a battery charging wire wired coming from the motorhome?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #12

My CRV lights are wired to the MH, using the tail/brake light, not the amber turn signal. The only issue is when the RV2 engages it prevents the turn signal from flashing. But once the brake disengages the turn signal works fine. You can get a component that will prevent this, but I have found that this a minor issue. Stopped at a light waiting to make a turn, the RV2 is disengaged, turn signal works. I do have a charge line from the MH battery to the CRV battery. Whether you run a charge line depends on your vehicle. My 2013 CRV has a lot of stuff that draws on the battery even with everything turned off.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
My CRV lights are wired to the MH, using the tail/brake light, not the amber turn signal. The only issue is when the RV2 engages it prevents the turn signal from flashing. But once the brake disengages the turn signal works fine. You can get a component that will prevent this, but I have found that this a minor issue. Stopped at a light waiting to make a turn, the RV2 is disengaged, turn signal works. I do have a charge line from the MH battery to the CRV battery. Whether you run a charge line depends on your vehicle. My 2013 CRV has a lot of stuff that draws on the battery even with everything turned off.
Thank you for that information. I intend to add a charging wire if our, new to us, rig doesn't already have one when we pick it up. I'll take it that you are satisfied with the RVI2? How does it do on steep downhill grades? I noticed in their comparison test video, they tilted the unit to force it to activate. It definitely seems to be the easiest to install and least invasive system I have seen so far.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #14

Brake Buddy vs RV2

I have had no problems with it on steep downhills. I use the tow/haul on my E450 which downshifts using engine braking. The only time the RV2 engages is when I apply the brakes for a stop. Another great feature is the ability to adjust the unit from inside the motor home. In heavy stop and go traffic I will put the sensitive to high. You always have the crazies that like to sneak into your safe distance. On highways/interstates I will set it to med or even low. In a panic stop it overrides the setting, applying the brakes. By the way, the unit is warrantied for 3 years and they have great customer service. My antenna connection broke. Called in the evening, talked to one of the owners. Emailed me a FedEx label. Picked it up the next day, had it back within a week.

Tags
brake