Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Question Brake Controller Class A

I have a 38’ Coachmen Diesel pusher.
I wanted to hook up my 28’ car trailer and get the trailer brakes to work (4 wheel brakes)
When I looked at the hook up on the RV the 7 wire connector blue wire was already there and when I stepped on the brakes the wire was energized…
Q. Is there a brake controller somewhere in the coach?
Q. Do I need to trace the wire, cut it and put in a brake controller?

Thanks for your help.

38Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Just a thought, if you don't get the answer you are looking for here, try calling the manufacture of your motorhome chassis (Freightliner, Spartan, or whom ever)

JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
hello , i have a 34' pushier with a same problem. when i step on the pedal i get 13 vots on the blue wire.
1ijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to identify the chassis manufacturer (probably Freightliner or Spartan) and check with them, but few chassis come with a brake controller built in. Wiring yes, but no controller.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
I am interested in any info on this also. I have a 40ft Newmar Mountain Aire with the same set up. Spartan chassis. Contacted Spartan and they referred me to the coach builder. The tech said that Spartan did not start pre-wiring their chassis' for trailer brakes until 2004. My coach is a 2000 and the blue wire at the plug has 12 volts when the exhaust brake or the service brakes are applied. Contacted Newmar and their tech confirmed that they did the harness pre-wiring. He said that the blue wire should end up under the dash and would not be connected unless the previous owner had done something. He was quite vague on info. I'm going to call again and see if I get a different tech. I cannot find any blue wires under the dash that have 12 volts when the brakes are applied.
gwtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
in reply to your blue wire , i unhooked it and ran a new wire , all is good. if any more help is needed just reply
1ijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
mine was hooked up to tow a cardolly,had 12 volts from the brake lights[somewhere] to the plug.i ran a new wire system and controller. i have a 1999 spartan frame
frank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to take one more look this weekend around the front electrical panel above the generator. I have a tone tracer to track the wires. If my stubborness wears down, I too, will just run my own wire from the controller back.

I am new to this website and appreciated your response. Trying to get squared away for a trip to Reno for Hot August Nights car show.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Found the factory installed aux tow wire with a tone tracer. Traced it to under the dash and into a mile of spaghetti all tye wrapped up. I noticed a panel cover directly in front of the steering wheel on top of the dash. Never looked in there before. It was held in place with velcrow. Pulled it up and "wall-aah". There was a black wire with a tag that said " aux tow". The other end was taped to the 7-pin receptacle harness near the hitch. The rest was a piece of cake. Glad I pulled that cover. Lots of fuses and relays in there for the dash instruments.
Thanks again

Greg T