Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

brake controller install in chevy express van chassis

Hi,
Can anybody give me info on installing a brake controller on a 2005 Fleetwood Tioga 22b with a chevy express van chassis. It has the 6.0 vortek motor. It is prewired with a 7 pin connector in back but for the life of me I can't figure out which wires to hook the brake controller into under the dash. According to the chassis manaul if it has the optional trailer plug wiring I should be looking for a harness in the front with a black,dark blue, light blue and red wire with a white strip on it under the left side of the dash instrument panel. I can find no such combination. I am wondering if maybe fleetwood installed the back connector instead of chevy and that the places to hook in are different that what the chassis instructions say. From the research I have done the Express van chassis didn't come with a place to just plug into in front like the fords do. If anybody has done this I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Jeff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroller9596 View Post
Hi,
Can anybody give me info on installing a brake controller on a 2005 Fleetwood Tioga 22b with a chevy express van chassis. It has the 6.0 vortek motor. It is prewired with a 7 pin connector in back but for the life of me I can't figure out which wires to hook the brake controller into under the dash. According to the chassis manaul if it has the optional trailer plug wiring I should be looking for a harness in the front with a black,dark blue, light blue and red wire with a white strip on it under the left side of the dash instrument panel. I can find no such combination. I am wondering if maybe fleetwood installed the back connector instead of chevy and that the places to hook in are different that what the chassis instructions say. From the research I have done the Express van chassis didn't come with a place to just plug into in front like the fords do. If anybody has done this I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Jeff.
i gave up trying to find the blue brake wire under the dash and ran a new 14 gauge wire from the brake controller to the factory(?) installed plug on the hitch receiver on my moho.
my moho was supposed to be prewired for the electric brake controller. it was at the rear end but apparently not at the front end.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I took apart the trailer plug receptacle and there were only four wires attached. I tested them and they were for tailights, left turn/brake, right turn/brake and ground. About 6 inches away I unraveled some tape and found that there were 2 wires stubbed off - a white wire with a green strip which I determined was a ground and a blue wire. Again I went to the cab and spent another hour trying to find the blue wire to no avail. So last night I decided to run 2 new wires from the plug - one for the brake controller and one 12V continuous circuit for an interior light I have in the trailer. I probably could have done this 4 times over in the time that I have wasted looking for the in cab harness. Thanks again, Jeff.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #4

In case anyone comes across this thread in the future I thought I'd pass along that I just got an answer from Fleetwood and they said that I was correct that the Chevy chassis does not come prewired for a brake controller. Thanks again everyone for all the help.