Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Brake Light Tap On 2003 Jeep Wrangler

Have searched this forum but still would like suggestions on the best place to tap into the 2003 Wrangler's brake light circuit to power the LED to be installed in the coach cockpit. Am in the process of installing a Roadmaster BrakeMaster

We acquired the Jeep with our previous motor home and it included a Brake Buddy which worked fine with it and continues to work flawlessly while being towed by our current coach, a 2003 Windsor. I'm replacing it to gain some storage room that was needed when the Brake Buddy was not in use. The BrakeMaster should be quicker to hook up and unhook too.

The Jeep brake lights come on when the coach brakes are applied or when the Brake Buddy applies the Jeep brakes. The directional lights work as designed. It's all seamless and there are no conflicts. No fuses have to be removed and no switches need to be flipped when hooking up the Brake Buddy.

I need to find an accessible wire in the Jeep that goes "hot" with 12VDC when the Jeep's brake pedal is depressed. NOT when the coach's brakes are applied but when, and only when, the Jeep's pedal is depressed. This is needed to illuminate the LED indicator in the coach to show that the BrakeMaster is applying the Jeep's brakes when it's supposed to.

Naturally the coach brake lights should continue to illuminate the Jeep brake lights as they do now.

TIA
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #2

I had a 97 Wrangler (same series as yours) and the harness to the back lights ran under the door on the left side. I tapped into the wires at the front lower corner but anywhere forward of the diode should work.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

We have an 04 wrangler and use the same braking system. As I remember the instructions say to tap into the cold side of the brake light switch connector at the brake pedal. Just unplug the connector from the switch. Stick a grounded test light into the socket to determine which side is cold. Then use a Scotch Lock or similar connector to connect the LED that wire. There is no need to run a wire any further.

Here's a link to the installation instructions:
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1811-08.pdf

Page 3 shows where to connect the wire for the LED. It's at the right side of the page by the diagram labeled: MOTORHOME MONITOR

You will probably need to install a set of diodes at the Jeep brake lights. If the brake lights on the Jeep come on when you step on the brakes in the motorhome (or when the exhauust brake comes on) the power will feed back through the entire circuit. You won't know if the LED is comming on because the brake lights are being activated by the BrakeMaster air cylinder, the coach brake lights, or the exhaust brake. Once the diodes are installed there will be no feed back. The wire at the cold side of the brake light switch will only be hot when the Jeep brake pedal is depressed by the air cylinder.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks, guys.

I have the installation manual and in the part that does mention a Jeep, it's incorrect for my Wrangler. Probably because it's already been set up to tow as mentioned in the OP, albeit with a different supplemental brake.

The brake light switch itself has a wire that gets energized with 12VDC when the pedal is depressed. As soon as I work out how to imitate a pretzel I think I'll hook up to that.

I cannot figure out how to get the plastic shield/cover off the wiring run under the left door without breaking the plastic.

Thanks again,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake