Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake requirements for Provinces and States

I am researching information on different braking systems available for my Jeep liberty. I have it nailed down to a couple.

What I have noticed is a great discrepancy between manufactures as to what the requirements are per different states and provinces.
Anybody have a link that has correct towing info?

There is one company out there that is saying a particular Province in Canada requires brakes 2000 lbs under what is actually required by law in that province.
From what I can gather. British Columbia has 4000 lb limit where over that you require brakes.
Alberta Has 2000 lb limit.
It sure don't make sense to me that the province with the mountains or at least the most hills would have more relaxed laws that the province with more prairie.
Canadian EH!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
To be safe all around North America, anything above 1000 lbs requires a braking system.
Here are some inormation on it : Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
To be safe all around North America, anything above 1000 lbs requires a braking system.
Here are some inormation on it : Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Yes I have seen that. I don't agree with your 1000 lbs because there were tent trailers manufactured that are single axle with no brakes.

However I do agree with your conservative approach to brake systems. I would not tow a toad without one.
Last summer I was on a mission to find out what others were using for Aux brakes.
I spoke with 5 people in five different parks and found that there were none using Aux brakes. Scary to say the least, not to mention illegal.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Yes I have seen that. I don't agree with your 1000 lbs...
If you properly read the attachment, the states of New York and North Carolina require brakes on a 1000 lbs toad my friend !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
If you properly read the attachment, the states of New York and North Carolina require brakes on a 1000 lbs toad my friend !
Well my Friend
In response to your reply a toad is a toad.
What I was referring to was utility trailers that are single axle with no brakes. Ie cargo trailers of the smaller design.
Check out the link

V-Nose Single Axle Sharp Series Cargo Trailer | Sharp Manufacturing, LLC
Old 02-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Well I live in Oregon and all I need to do is be able to stop BUT I'm installing the Air Force One and Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 All-Terrain 10,000lb Tow Bar.
Better safe than sorry.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #7

Here's my humble opinion. Of all the things you may chose to do or not do, a braking system for your toad is a no brainer. Which you chose is irrevalant cause everyone sings the praises of the one they own.
Just Do It
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The question that should be asked is, "What is required to tow safely?", not "What does the law require?"

A proper braking system with emergency braking in case of a toad come loose should be required on all toads regardless of their weight and your location. The lives of our families and fellow motorists depend upon it.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #9

Your are looking for braking systems for your Jeep Liberty and end up concerned about brake requirements on utility trailers

Use a brake system on your toad then you don't have to worry about whether or not one is required and you will be safer towing it.

As for the 'other' why get ruffled over what is needed/should be used unless you are going to be towing something other than the Jeep Liberty.

If so.........they usually come with brakes as required.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake