Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
my Cummins will just hunker down and haul harder.
That's maybe the difference between you and me you got power, I got gas

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
The guy behind you may be following too close but he could still be dead as a result of my lack of maintenance or diligent inspection, not something I want on my conscience. Iím sure you will agree that the remedy for these incidences start with us, the operators, and our willingness to commit to safety procedures and that no amount of engineering or apparatus designs can replace that.
Well I did say it could roll.. I"ve done a few panic stops over the years.

Yes, if someone smacked into a towed I lost and died as a result I would feel bad.. But I'd feel a lot worse if the towed crossed the median and hit one head on..

And the fact is the guy behind me is in less danger, since his collision would be at LESS THAN FREEWAY SPEEDS.. (The difference between the speed he is going and the speed of the towed at impact)

Where as the guy on the other side, if it crossed the median, would be at much higher speeds (his speed PLUS the speed of the towed)

I"ve seen far too many crashes where a trailer (Which is what a towed is techniclly) did just that.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
I saw the breakaway accidentally activated on a 5'er, while still attached. It didn't lock the wheels, it just put a terrific drag on things, the driver instantly knew something had gone wrong and pulled over in a controlled stop. I'm pretty sure the breakaway won't lock up the brakes on my jeep with a brake buddy, either; it's an on-off system, and it doesn't lock up the brakes when it activates normally, so it isn't going to do it when the breakaway is activated, just bring things to a halt. All the breakaway does is tell it to hit the brakes, it's only got so much air pressure. Since I can feel when the toad brakes activate normally, I think I'd notice if they activated abnormally (plus, the little red telltale would light up). Of course, the more sophisticated systems might work differently, it'd be interesting to know how aggressively they work in a breakaway situation.

I agree that the first line of defense is to do the best possible job of connecting the tow-er and tow-ee, but I still plug in the breakaway as a just-in-case. I sure don't want to kill or injure anybody.
2003 Fleetwood Southwind
Still employed, sort of, and counting down........
SAMCUDNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I set my breakaway lanyard short enough so it will activate long before the safety cables stretch all the way out.
As was mentioned above, these systems are not braking hard enough to lock the wheels up. They are assisting. My smi stay n play couldn't lock the wheels on the jeep uphill on ice. The brakes would put a bunch of slowdown in place, while the safety cables kept the jeep behind the motorhome.

And I'd hope I would notice, as the stay n play doesn't talk back to the motorhome, no way for me to know the brakes are on other than watching in the camera. Which I do. Often.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote