Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Brake system for 2500 4x4 diesel Duramax

Hey anybody towing a 3/4 ton diesel? My truck has hydraulic brakes and would like to use a brake buddy or similar device, are these compatible with hydraulic brake systems?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #2

Years ago I hauled my 2 wheel drive Ford F250 Crew Cab behind my previous motorhome. I used a Roadmaster Amazon.com: Roadmaster 9160 Brakemaster Towed Car Braking System: Automotive

This device mounts to a bracket that bolts to the floor just in front of the drivers seat. The other end has a clamp that grabs the brake peda. The end that mounts to the floor has a clevis pin and it's simple to remove. All you have to do is pump the brakes to remove any stored vacuum in your power brake canister. Tapping into the air system was simple and easy and the instructions were thorough. Don't forget, you'll need a really heavy duty tow bar and the one I settled on was a 9,000 lb DEMCO.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

I thought everyone had Hydraulic brakes these days. I would suggest you look at the Air Force One brake system. It ties into your vacuum assist on your brake system and also uses an air actuated cylinder to apply the brakes proportional the how the coach brakes are applied. It is fed by the metered output from your coach air brakes. It also has a break-away system built in.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman122 View Post
Hey anybody towing a 3/4 ton diesel? My truck has hydraulic brakes and would like to use a brake buddy or similar device, are these compatible with hydraulic brake systems?

Thanks
I ran into the same problem when I set mine up. I was able to pick up a EvenBrake, which is Roadmasters version of the Brake Buddy. You can usually watch the classifieds here on iRV2 and pick one up that someone is selling.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
.....look at the Air Force One brake system. It ties into your vacuum assist on your brake system....
Diesels don't have a vacuum to tap into for the brakes.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Take a look at M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page. It is an excellent brake. I have towed over 100,000 with one
Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I like the M-G Engineering System, but check the clearance between the intercooler pipe and the brake reservoir. If you have an LBZ, chances are you will need to move the intercooler or it will rub on the brake lines. When you install the M-G Engineering Adapter, it moves the brake reservoir a few inches towards the front of the truck, and it starts to rub. I know someone who loves theirs, and they tow an LB7, plenty of room and no rub issues.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Diesels don't have a vacuum to tap into for the brakes.
The Air Force One creates the vacuum for the vacuum assist on the brakes.

Tags
diesel, brake