Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Brake System for Toad

Just saw an ad indicating that a breaking system is required in 40 states. How many of you use an auxiliary break system on your Toad??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 38' HR Endeavor and a Cadillac CTS toad. We use a Brake Buddy which installs in the floor between the seat and the brake pedal. It only takes 5 minutes or less to set it up. An indicator light at the MH driver's seat tells you when it is activated during a hard braking situation, although I can't tell much of a difference in stopping distance at least not subjectively. Stands to reason that it will shorten your stopping distance in an emergency. I use it for two reasons...1. it might make the difference in an actual emergency stop and 2. it gives me a peace of mind especially in terms of liability. I have no idea if it is required by law, but yet another reason to use it for peace of mind. One other consideration... if your toad breaks away, the Brake Buddy activates automatically...this might just be the best reason to have one. Hope this helps, just my view on the issue.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Yes it helps! Does a dealer need to install the system?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

I think you'll find that the VAST majority of MH owners use a supplemental braking system of some type on ther toad. For me I simply don't want a ton and a half of rolling inertia trying to keep me for stoping if I need to, law or no law.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

We just bought a MH. The towing system is on order, the M&G braking system is also on order.
This pdf from Workhorse explains why much better than I ever could.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ever been in an emergency stopping situation where you have both feet on the brake and wishing you had a third foot? That's why you want a braking system on your toad.

I have and love the SMI Air Force system.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
Just saw an ad indicating that a breaking system is required in 40 states. How many of you use an auxiliary break system on your Toad??
The Laws of Motion are in effect in all 50 states. I want every tire on the road braking when I need to stop. I don't know about a 'breaking' system, things seem to break without any formal system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes it helps! Does a dealer need to install the system?
A dealer installed ours along with the brake/turn signal wiring and transmission pump. I think you could do it yourself if you have the patience and can follow directions. I get frustrated too easy so it was a no brainer for me to let the dealer do all of it at one time.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #9

I certainly understand!!!

If I hooked it up the Toad would probably run in reverse!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have one. Use the M&G system with break away capability. I had mine installed by Henderson Line Up of Grants Pass Oregon. Not inexpensive, but worth the $$.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
isa

Triple E Owners Club
larrydp wrote:

"Just saw an ad indicating that a breaking system is required in 40 states."

Unfortunately most ads written by manufacturers are completely dishonest and often are made in reference to towing trailers and not vehicles.

The fact is that there are very few states and or provinces that require auxiliary brakes on a TOWED VEHICLE provided that the combination of vehicles can pass a stated perfomance test with respect to speed and braking distance and/or a given weight limit. The speed stated is usually 20mph. and the distance varies from 25 ft. to 50 ft. The weight limits stated run from 1500 lb.(NV) to 5000 lb. (AK). Only AK, FL, NC, NV & WI show a weight limit. HI, ND & DC statutes are not available on line.

Check the DMV statutes where you live. Do not get caught up with the argument that a TOWED VEHICLE is a TRAILER, it is not a TRAILER but you have to look at the wording used in the STATUTES with respect to what is being TOWED.

If your state does not specifically outline the rules for a TOWED VEHICLE then there is no applicable statute.

The best reference that I have found with respect to the 50 states is:

home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/toad-brakes-by-state.html

and for Canada http://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp

isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa View Post
larrydp wrote:

"Just saw an ad indicating that a breaking system is required in 40 states."

Unfortunately most ads written by manufacturers are completely dishonest and often are made in reference to towing trailers and not vehicles.

The fact is that there are very few states and or provinces that require auxiliary brakes on a TOWED VEHICLE provided that the combination of vehicles can pass a stated perfomance test with respect to speed and braking distance and/or a given weight limit. The speed stated is usually 20mph. and the distance varies from 25 ft. to 50 ft. The weight limits stated run from 1500 lb.(NV) to 5000 lb. (AK). Only AK, FL, NC, NV & WI show a weight limit. HI, ND & DC statutes are not available on line.

Check the DMV statutes where you live. Do not get caught up with the argument that a TOWED VEHICLE is a TRAILER, it is not a TRAILER but you have to look at the wording used in the STATUTES with respect to what is being TOWED.

If your state does not specifically outline the rules for a TOWED VEHICLE then there is no applicable statute.

The best reference that I have found with respect to the 50 states is:

home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/toad-brakes-by-state.html

and for Canada http://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp
Awesome info!!!! Just one more reason why I love IRV2!!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We towed a 95 Wrangler behind a 22' Class C for several years wihout a brake system and without a problem. The Jeep weighed less than 3000 lbs. and most of the time it was hard to tell we had anything in tow. However, I'm sure a braking system would have been wise.
We are taking delivery of our new Class A sometime in the next two weeks and we also have a new 2013 Wrangler that is well over 3000 lbs. I just ordered an RVi2 brake system. Just seems like the right thing to do for any number of reasons, most of which have been previously stated on this website.
Good Luck and safe travels.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
This thread answers your question very well. The physics are explained.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/the-p...ing-19087.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad