Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Brake System for toad.

We are setting a Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door to use from time to time as a toad. What braking system are you using for those that tow. The leading candidates are the Roadmaster InvisiBrake or the Demco Stay-N-Play Duo, both of these systems are hardwired and installed.

The one portable system that looks interesting is the RViBrake System3 it appears to be quite easy to use.

My question is which system is better? The pricing is all close so that is not a factor. I want a reliable system that works. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
MorrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

An inertia based system would applying the breaks going over bumps, and is uncomfortable and jerks everything around when it applied breaking. A portable system would work if you need something portable and dont want to modify your car too much, but to do it right, personally I would recommend the demco system, because it relies on signal from the motor home, not inertia. that would probably be the most comfortable ride and easiest system to set up. The portable systems take much more time when hooking up the toad because you have to mount it and test it and be sure it is secure etc.
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb1 View Post
An inertia based system would applying the breaks going over bumps, and is uncomfortable and jerks everything around when it applied breaking. A portable system would work if you need something portable and dont want to modify your car too much, but to do it right, personally I would recommend the demco system, because it relies on signal from the motor home, not inertia. that would probably be the most comfortable ride and easiest system to set up. The portable systems take much more time when hooking up the toad because you have to mount it and test it and be sure it is secure etc.
The inertia based systems don't jerk or produce an uncomfortable ride. I use the RVI Brake and other than the couple minutes it take to install it on the floor board of the toad, it is just as good as the installed under hood systems. They are pretty much ALL inertia based. Older unit were time based. The longer you kept the brake on, the harder it would apply the brakes.

There are a couple of advantages to the RVI Brake unit.
1) The ability to easily switch from Toad to Toad
2) The ability to Test the unit and adjust it from the coach
3) I didn't pay anything additional to have it installed.
4) The ability to engage the unit (turn on the brakes) with the push of a button.

The last one doesn't sound very important, but consider: Your rolling down to road doing 55 and you experience a problem with the tow bar (failure), but the toad hasn't broken free of the safety chains. When/If that happens, sit it didn't completely disconnect, you break away switch wasn't triggered. If you apply the coach brakes, the toad will smash into the back of the coach. With the RVI, you could hit the test button (apply brakes) and while the toad brakes are on, you could gently apply the coach brakes and bring everything to a stop with out additional damage.

Also the ability to adjust the braking force applied by the RVI unit on the fly, while traveling down the road. This comes in handy if road conditions change (slippery/wet).

The customer service from RVI is top notch.

And now for the bad parts.

The RVI's ability to work is based on a good battery in the toad. Dead battery means no toad braking. I have used the RVI unit for 8 hours solid and didn't run the battery down. But if you were doing a multiple day trip, I may consider a charge line from the coach.

If you have the misfortune to set up you toad in the rain, even though it's fairly quick, you will get wet, unless your spouse is nice enough to hold an umbrella for you.

When not in use, you have to do something with it. Put it in a case. Put it in a storage bay or the back of the toad. Whatever your choice, you now have a $1,000 piece of equipment, stashed somewhere.

I chose the RVI almost 6 years ago, and it has been flawless, and it was the right choice at the time. That being said, I would have to think about the Stay-N-Play duo, cause it is just a flip a switch, cause a couple times, I didn't have anybody to hold an umbrella

There really isn't a bad choice. It's really about what you want.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Using the SMI (Demco) Stay N Play duo and have used one for 10 years or more with no issues. It does rely on a signal from the coach and inertia as well. It will not engage without both.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We found a complete Roadmaster Even Brake portable unit on Craigslist for $500. It fits our Wrangler TJ great and has a wireless dash monitor to see what's going on. I added a charge line to the coach for added piece of mind. Once it's set up, installation takes about two minutes including running a test cycle. Would I rather have a permanent mount such as AF1, M&G etc?...yes, probably. Is a 15 yo Jeep with 185,000 miles worth that kind of investment? Probably not. Like everything RV related there are pros and cons. I'm happy to see you are considering a braking system, surprising how many folks don't even use one.
Safe Travels.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
The inertia based systems don't jerk or produce an uncomfortable ride.
Just one of my experiences for the particular system I was using. Probably different for each system/configuration.
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

I use the RoadMaster InvsiBrake on the Grand Cherokee. I hook up the tow bar, connect the umbilical cord, safety and break away cable and go. I did have an issue with how the installed wired everything through the umbilical cord which caused fat connections and an intermittent short blowing 7 pin fuses. The RoadMaster rep came to the house diagnosed the problem and rewired the umbilical. All is fine since. IMHO well worth the added installation expense for the simplicity of setup (none) when towing.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Everyone has their favorite and mine is Invis-a-Brake. It is a serious installation chore, but once done, an outstanding system with no special hookup considerations or bulky things to store when not in use like the portable units.

Bonus...it charges the toad whenever you turn the coach's lights on....which I do anyway as a safety thing.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
Everyone has their favorite and mine is Invis-a-Brake. It is a serious installation chore, but once done, an outstanding system with no special hookup considerations or bulky things to store when not in use like the portable units.

... snipped ...
X2
Have had ours since 2012.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:36 AM   #10

A lot of folks use one of the systems described. Before making a decision, I would also look at the M&G braking system. Good quality and great folks to deal with.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad