Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Brake system for tow dolly

Have read a lot about brake systems while towing 4 down.... Any thoughts on best supplemental brake system when using a tow dolly? I bought a new dolly w/o brakes, big mistake. Dealer told me I did not really need to worry about brakes. After reading other threads, I think I need brakes!
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were you I'd be returning that dolly to that dealer. They'll tell you anything to buy their product. In answer to your question we have hydraulic brakes on ours. If you have a gas coach I would strongly recommend getting brakes installed.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Surge brakes are without a doubt the simplest, least maintenance braking system for a tow dolly. I agree the dolly should go back to the idiot dealer who told you it didn't need brakes.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #4

Go back to the dealer and tell him you want him to put it in writing and sign it saying that you don't need brakes and you will be legal in all states. His tune will change quickly.
Get your money back and check out the ACME EZE-TOW dolly at:
Car Tow Dolly / Tow Dolly / Used Car Dolly / Car Dollies
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf4865 View Post
Have read a lot about brake systems while towing 4 down.... Any thoughts on best supplemental brake system when using a tow dolly? I bought a new dolly w/o brakes, big mistake. Dealer told me I did not really need to worry about brakes. After reading other threads, I think I need brakes!
The dealer needs be more familiar with the specs of gas chassis motorhomes. Both Workhorse and Ford say you need a supplemental brake system on anything being towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs. The chassis brakes are rated only for the GVRW (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) not the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).
The GVWR is the amount of weight that the chassis itself can carry. The GCWR is the amount the chassis can carry plus the additional weight it can tow.

In our case the GVWR is 20,500 lbs. and the GCWR is 26,000 lbs. If we load the chassis to the maximum (20,500 lbs.) we would need brakes on anything we tow regardless of the weight. If we load it to 19,000 lbs. or less we could technically tow something that weighs 1,500 lbs. or less without supplemental brakes.

I don't know of any vehicle that weighs less than 1,500 lbs. by itself so regardless of whether you tow something 4 down, or add the weight of a dolly (usually another 400 lbs. - 800 lbs. depending on the brand and options) you're going to need a supplemental braking system if you're towing it with a gas chassis motorhome.